Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 03-16-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Musso Senior Surface Swimmer- FYI

Spent $75 to confirm this (it has been eating at me for over a year). Pictured are an exact copy of a Musso Pine Senior on the left.....which uses a Pikie 3 lip (exactly---I borrowed an original and traced it) , and an original Musso Senior Surface Swimmer on the right which uses a "large" Lefty mid-slot lip (exactly). Note that both lips are mounted above midline although I am not sure if this was always the case.
Unrigged the plug weighs 2.75 oz.
Now I am happy

Last edited by numbskull; 03-17-2009 at 11:00 AM..
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
numbskull

Opps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mussosslip.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	32711  
Old 03-16-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
angler229

Thanks George, thats a big help. Also it saves the PM you were going to get when I saw you bought it.
angler229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
numbskull

Sorry, my bad.
Could a Mod please move this to the plug building forum?
Old 03-17-2009, 09:19 AM   #5
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

so what was your concern? You had the wrong lip?

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
go4broke44

looks like musso makes his metal lips like me, I drill a center hole on each end of my blanks to better fit on the lathe, and it leaves that half-circle above the lip slot like the one on the right.
go4broke44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
so what was your concern? You had the wrong lip?
Yup. Everybody (including BM) were/are building their copies of the surface swimmer with Pikie 3 lips (often mounted at midline).....but this made no sense to me since that is the lip the Pine version used and that plug was deeper running. The bassdozer article mentioned the Sr SS had a smaller lip, but nobody ever could or would confirm this for me (most seemed to consider the Pine to be the same as the surface swimmer). The ones I built and fished with a smaller lip did well and the plug pictured from the side in the bassdozer article looked like a smaller lip, too......so I was pretty sure I had it "right". Now I'm 100% sure.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:06 AM   #8
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Jolly good show. I don't know why flap says your so dumb.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:00 PM   #9
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
Jolly good show. I don't know why flap says your so dumb.
Maybe because I was 95% sure and catching fish but still spent
the $75 ?
Old 03-17-2009, 04:46 PM   #10
WoodyCT

Atta boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Yup. Everybody (including BM) were/are building their copies of the surface swimmer with Pikie 3 lips (often mounted at midline).....but this made no sense to me since that is the lip the Pine version used and that plug was deeper running. The bassdozer article mentioned the Sr SS had a smaller lip, but nobody ever could or would confirm this for me (most seemed to consider the Pine to be the same as the surface swimmer). The ones I built and fished with a smaller lip did well and the plug pictured from the side in the bassdozer article looked like a smaller lip, too......so I was pretty sure I had it "right". Now I'm 100% sure.

You finally cracked the case George.

Glad you took her before BJ answered by question. No doubt I would have snatched her had he confirmed its identity.

Jon
WoodyCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:12 PM   #11
numbskull

I had actually pm'd him the night before after I studied the picture and he confirmed it was the surface swimmer and then edited his listing.

You are welcome to borrow the thing after I xray it (or I'd be glad to send you any measurements you'd like). The one issue that remains is the lip slot height. This one is set up the same as the pine with a lip slot above centerline. The one in bassdozers article looks to have the lip at midline, as do some of the jr size surface swimmers posted on line. At some point I'll bet he switched how he did it. I'll probably build a few with the lower lip position and see what happens.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:41 PM   #12
wahlie
a goongala goongala

Send a message via AIM to wahlie
George,
Was this the 5 or 6" swimmer? I have some lefty 1 hi- slots... Wondering if these would work? I'm gonna go spin a few of the 5" ones now. I also have some danny 1 lo-slots...

"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."
wahlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:57 PM   #13
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahlie View Post
George,
Was this the 5 or 6" swimmer? I have some lefty 1 hi- slots... Wondering if these would work? I'm gonna go spin a few of the 5" ones now. I also have some danny 1 lo-slots...
The senior, 7.5" surface swimmer. The high slot lefty 2 shape would be the lip he used in the 6" Pine. The slot is about 3/32" above midline. The surface swimmer would use a midslot lefty 2 lip, the same one used in the senior. The lefty 1's work fine on a 5" version (although Musso did not make one as far as I'm aware).
Old 03-17-2009, 09:20 PM   #14
wahlie
a goongala goongala

Send a message via AIM to wahlie
Gotcha... I built a little 4" that swims amazingly. No additional weight. plus I used a 1/2 pikie lip on it... swims much different then using a lefty slot. I'll have to do some experimenting with the 5" version.

"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."
wahlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:49 PM   #15
gone fishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
I had actually pm'd him the night before after I studied the picture and he confirmed it was the surface swimmer and then edited his listing.

You are welcome to borrow the thing after I xray it (or I'd be glad to send you any measurements you'd like). The one issue that remains is the lip slot height. This one is set up the same as the pine with a lip slot above centerline. The one in bassdozers article looks to have the lip at midline, as do some of the jr size surface swimmers posted on line. At some point I'll bet he switched how he did it. I'll probably build a few with the lower lip position and see what happens.
George -- I would appreciate a copy of that X ray. please post it when done??

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:04 PM   #16
go4broke44

been thinking about trying to make one of the senior sized plugs as they look like they would work pretty good in the canal. I wonder how mahogany would work, in lieu of the "Maple swimmer"?
Old 03-19-2009, 12:16 AM   #17
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by go4broke44 View Post
been thinking about trying to make one of the senior sized plugs as they look like they would work pretty good in the canal. I wonder how mahogany would work, in lieu of the "Maple swimmer"?
I have done some out of mahogany, in between the pine and maple as far as depth and speed of wiggle

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:19 AM   #18
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

HELP !! so the pine musso (copy) with the pikie 3 lip is sub surface ?

and the Orig midslot lefty (wood unknown)is the surface swimmer .
I don't know my Musso swimmers ,, I have the pikie lip one from you ... feel i should copy ..
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:09 AM   #19
numbskull

Yo Eddy, this info from a pm I sent to g4b may help:

The body of this surface swimmer is identical to the pine swimmer. I've not xrayed it yet but I expect the weighting to be slightly less. I have never seen a Maple, though I did turn one out of Maple that I havent fished much. I did not weight it.

The plugs are 7.5" long and presumably made of pine.

1st hook is 1 7/8" from the nose
weight is 3 7/8" from nose
2nd hook is 4 7/8 " from nose

Diameter at nose is .86" (same as the lefty 2 lip)
Diameter at first hook is 1.2"
max diameter is 1.4" and located 3 5/8" from the nose
Diameter at second hook is 1.26"
Diameter at tail is .52"

The weight in the Pine version is 3/8 diameter x 3/4" height. I used a 14 gram weight but think this may be more than the original (my finished plugs come out at 3.4 oz). The SS weight is probably 1/4 oz less than the pine.

The SS without hooks weighs 2.75 oz, the pine 2.9 oz
Rigged with old 3/0 mustads they float level, with the water level even or slightly over the high lip slot and just over the tail wire

The lip on the Pine is a Pikie 3
The lip on the Surface Swimmer a midslot lefty 2
The bassdozer article suggests the lip on the Maple is similar to that on the pine.

Both lip slots on the plugs I have measured are located 5/32 (.31") below the top of the head which puts them about a 1/16" above mid line. (The SS pictured in the bassdozer article looks to have the lip mounted at midline and projecting further beneath the plug.......some of the Jr surface swimmers seem set up the same.....probably he made a change somewhere along the line, but when, which way, and why I have no idea).

The pine will swim subsurface a few feet (much like an Atom). It worked well in rough water and moderate current for me. Got me my best fish last year.
The surface swimmer I built (over weighted it seems) took a little more oomph to get it swimming than I like, but accounted for several 25-30# fish before a bluefish took it from me.
Both plugs cast well....probably because of the shape and behind center weight.

If I was building a plug for the canal, I'd consider trying a hybrid version using the pine setup but a high slot lefty lip instead of the standard pikie lip....I think it would swim well in fast current that way.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:12 AM   #20
tobias

Yup, mid slot are surface and the high slot is subsurface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagger View Post
HELP !! so the pine musso (copy) with the pikie 3 lip is sub surface ?

and the Orig midslot lefty (wood unknown)is the surface swimmer .
I don't know my Musso swimmers ,, I have the pikie lip one from you ... feel i should copy ..
tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:18 AM   #21
go4broke44

Tagger,

according to bassdozer's article, theres 4 different plugs of the same shape.

Surface swimmer uses a lefty2 midslot, stays on top
"Pine" swims 3-6ft, uses a pikie3
"Maple" swims deeper, claims as deep as a conrad, also uses pikie3

not sure about the "troller" lip, its the same body shape just with a planed head, probably a pikie3 too.

Bassdozer said most people wrote a "P" or an "M" on the lips to distinguish between the Pine and the Maple, because they were exactly the same except for wood type (and weight).
Old 03-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #22
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Thanks guys ,,, next question .. I wonder wich maple he used ? hard ,, soft .. Hard maple is a beotch .. I can fart and split a hard maple plug ... Numby don't carry that quote pleeez.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:00 PM   #23
chumbucket

Thanks Numby. Good stuff.
The plug stuff...not the farting.

chumbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #24
numbskull

Turns out the weight in the surface swimmer is the same as in the Pine.........3/8 x a shade under 3/4....drilled through. The difference in weight of the unrigged plugs must just be variation in the density of the wood.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #25
go4broke44

I just turned 2 out of AYC, gonna weight them with a 1/2 x 1/2 weight, which is .098 sq in, slightly more than the 3/8 x 3/4 (.083 sq in)

Pikie3 lips so they go down
Old 03-22-2009, 07:28 AM   #26
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

love it very informative!

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:42 AM   #27
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by go4broke44 View Post
Tagger,

according to bassdozer's article, theres 4 different plugs of the same shape.

Surface swimmer uses a lefty2 midslot, stays on top
"Pine" swims 3-6ft, uses a pikie3
It just seems odd to me that the 2 plugs above ,, The Sub-Surface wood choice is pine and the Surface lure is made of maple .. I know Numby is just copying Musso .. Unless I'm reading this all wrong .. Just questioning use of wood ?? If I was going for Sub surface I'd choose maple .. Or Surface I'd choose pine .. Less work for the lip and weighting considerations .. Doesn't seem backaswards to anyone eles ? I know this is blasfomy questioning Musso thought process .. Maybe he'll chime in ..
Old 03-22-2009, 09:23 AM   #28
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
It just seems odd to me that the 2 plugs above ,, The Sub-Surface wood choice is pine and the Surface lure is made of maple .. I know Numby is just copying Musso .. Unless I'm reading this all wrong .. Just questioning use of wood ?? If I was going for Sub surface I'd choose maple .. Or Surface I'd choose pine .. Less work for the lip and weighting considerations .. Doesn't seem backaswards to anyone eles ? I know this is blasfomy questioning Musso thought process .. Maybe he'll chime in ..
The way I read it Bass Dozer never tells what woods are used other than pine and maple for the "Pine" and "Maple". I have some doubts that that is correct, the maple could have been birch.
I think the surface swimmer and the pine are both lighter wood, The maple and possibly the troller could be denser.
I made some maple trollers this winter that go pretty deep, I have a certain place in mind.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:57 AM   #29
numbskull

Quote:
.. Unless I'm reading this all wrong .. Just questioning use of wood ?
Eddy

The Surface Swimmer and Pine are made from pine
The maple, presumably is maple (whether weighted or not I don't know).
The Pine and Maple use the same lip (Pikie 3)
The surface swimmer uses the Mid slot Lefty 2 lip
Old 03-22-2009, 04:49 PM   #30
Flaptail

If the U.S government and NASA put as much thought and discussion into the space program as you guys have about building Musso swimmers we would be on Mars by now.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote