Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-17-2014, 09:16 AM   #1
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

other tools for lathe

So I was going through the owners manual for my lathe(my F.I.L. finally found it) and it showed several examples of tools other than chisels being used with the lathe like wood rasps and hand planers. Anyone out there use any of those? Looked like an interesting way to cut down(pun intended....lol) on my blades dulling during the roughing down phase. Any insight is always appreciated.

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
N.ShoreFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
Linesider82

I keep a sharpening stone near by to refresh the flat tools and even the gouge sometimes it also requires a round file to knock a burr off the backside of the gouge likely because I have the harbor freight set and may not be the best steel but it works well enough for the small amount of plugs I do.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:57 PM   #3
iamskippy

I just sharpened mine on a belt sander, but i will need a few files as well to get that nice edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linesider82 View Post
I keep a sharpening stone near by to refresh the flat tools and even the gouge sometimes it also requires a round file to knock a burr off the backside of the gouge likely because I have the harbor freight set and may not be the best steel but it works well enough for the small amount of plugs I do.
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:46 PM   #4
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

sorry, I think I should have been more specific. Has anyone ever used wood rasps or hand planners while the lathe is turning to take down the squared ends of a blank BEFORE they used their chisels, and if so, does it work well?

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
Old 01-18-2014, 10:19 AM   #5
paradoxjim

I use a rasp all the time to knock off the square edges when I'm turning EVA handles. There is not too much chatter if you are turning with enough speed. (speed is more important than pressure with the EVA)

I would gently lower it onto a piece of wood to give it a try and see what happens, unless someone else can chime in and describe their injuries from doing just that!
paradoxjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:18 AM   #6
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxjim View Post
I use a rasp all the time to knock off the square edges when I'm turning EVA handles. There is not too much chatter if you are turning with enough speed. (speed is more important than pressure with the EVA)

I would gently lower it onto a piece of wood to give it a try and see what happens, unless someone else can chime in and describe their injuries from doing just that!
I went ahead and tried it last night! Wow!! I love it. I think I'll be using the rasp from now on to take of the corners on all my stock...it was fast and really easy.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:04 PM   #7
bigdaug

i have a friend who uses a hand plane to "make dowels"
he is from a different style of turners. he uses a lot of green wood and turns things roughed in oversized to allow for drying then turns the finished item later. first i had heard of this. he also saves the green shavings to keep the oversized items in to do the drying process.
he used to make bowls and such. quite a craftsman.
bigdaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:00 PM   #8
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Capesams told me to turn my green wood round and oversize and then let it dry several years ago he was right. I have made some plugs out of a McIntosh apple tree and have a bunch left in the round. Stuff is hard as all hell though. You could make a hammer out of the stuff.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:27 PM   #9
bigdaug

I haven't done shopwork for a long time but had never heard of the green wood style. Waxing the ends and covering in the green shavings is supposed to let it dry without cracking. Never done it but he swears by it.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:33 PM   #10
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

That is interesting have never heard of that. Did you see this you might find it interesting.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...orking-eletter

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:20 PM   #11
bigdaug

Just talked to him to get the skinny on this. It mainly was for the larger bowl sized turnings. Wax the ends and cover in the shavings. Put in a paper sack for a month or two. Keep in the basement. The waxed ends kept the moisture from escaping that way and forced it to dry thru the side grain. Which is desirable. It will deform so the oversizing is necessary. The dowels he tried it on warped bad but were 2 or 3 feet long. He didn't try it on dowels again because the projects he was working on were for longer items. He thought the shorter pieces we use might be ok to dry with this method. Sounds like a lot of work and space for me but I have a dawn redwood with the top blown out of I might try it on.

Last edited by bigdaug; 01-29-2014 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: Spelling