Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-22-2015, 11:51 AM   #91
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I doubt many militant Muslims paid much attention to Trump before his recent remarks. That Trump isn't in the video, yet elected politicians are makes perfect sense.

Absolutely (well, relatively, if you're offended by notions of absolute). What Obama, Kerry, Clinton, etc., said or did or doing, are every bit as much "recruitment tools" as what Trump said--they are even more so because they have the power to carry out their words.

Obama is a recruitment tool because we're bombing them.

Absolutely, like I said.

Trumps remarks don't serve any rational test and they're highly inflammatory, especially to American Muslims.

You're being an extremist here with the word "any". And I thought you were a relativist not an absolutist. Surely a relativist could see a "depends on context" scenario in which Trump's temporary ban on Muslim immigration here would be rational. Maybe you absolutely don't. Strange.

And "highly inflammatory"? Are you saying that American Muslims are being inflamed? Does that mean they are being recruited into ISIS? Or that they have no concern over the possibility of ISIS, or any other "extremist" Islamic group "radicalizing" American Muslims?

Isn't the point made by ISIS that the Western world is hostile and inhabitable to Islam?

If you are referring to the video I posted, the point is that Islam has no place in it for "the Western world". The Western world has no habitable place in Islam. The Western world is corrupt and immoral. It is not acceptable to Islam and must be destroyed.

If that's what they want why give it to them?

See, there you go again with that condescending tone. Islam is not appreciative of the notion that we can give it anything. Islam has what it needs without our help. Islamists would take offence at being relegated to needing our permission to do what they do. We are not worthy, in no position, to give Islamists anything except that which they will exact from us regardless if we consent or not.

The focus is quite deliberately far sighted. Trump's words aren't a single data point. What the enemy is witnessing are the masses of support for his racist rhetoric. As they say, Trump is a master marketer, he's giving his followers what he thinks they really want.

Well if he's giving them what they want, then their wanting precedes him. At least he is willing to abide by the will of the people. That would be a good start for a politician. Are Obama and Hillary giving their followers what they want? Are they giving the American people what they want? Do they have master marketers guiding them? Focusing on Trump as if he's the recruiting tool for ISIS, and disregarding the ocean of videos and rhetoric and bombings is a political trick. And it distracts from what Islamists "really want." And, yeah, BTW, Obama, Clinton, and a host of others are every bit, and more, part of that ocean of "recruitment tools" for ISIS. And they are, at the very least, hypocrites at pointing to Trump as one.

That this could be the most powerful person in the world must be a terrifying proposition for peace loving Muslims everywhere.
That makes no sense.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:23 PM   #92
buckman

Why do I get the feeling that somewhere deep in the bowels of the Democratic headquarters, an ISIS recruitment video starring Donald Trump is being made . It amazes me that now terrorism is Donald Trump's fault .
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 12-22-2015, 02:25 PM   #93
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Why do I get the feeling that somewhere deep in the bowels of the Democratic headquarters, an ISIS recruitment video starring Donald Trump is being made . It amazes me that now terrorism is Donald Trump's fault .
That seems more suited to the Republicans. Nixon even had a committee that use to sit around thinking of sleazy things to do. They did it so much that laws had to be passed to try to prevent it.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:31 PM   #94
PaulS

Saw a good article - what is Trump's approval rating up to now? Did it hit 40%?

Donald Trump Wins Politifact's 'Lie Of The Year'

The bigger the lie, they say, the more people will believe it. Or, in Republican presidential contender Donald Trump's case, the sheer volume of lies will do the trick.

That was the thought behind Politifact's decision to award Trump its not-so-coveted "Lie of the Year" award. The Pulitzer-prize winning fact-checking service, overseen by the editors of the Tampa Bay Times, didn't even bother selecting one of the Donald's untrue statements.

"In considering our annual Lie of the Year, we found our only real contenders were Trump's - his various statements also led our Readers' Poll," the publication wrote. "But it was hard to single one out from the others. So we have rolled them into one big trophy."

Among Trump's misstatements, as Politifact noted: His insistence that "thousands" cheered the destruction of the World Trade Center on Sept. 11; that Mexico sends its "bad" citizens over the U.S. border; and that "Whites killed by blacks - 81 percent" when, in fact, most people are killed by someone of the same race.

"PolitiFact has been documenting Trump's statements on our Truth-O-Meter, where we've rated 76 percent of them Mostly False, False or Pants on Fire, out of 77 statements checked," the publication wrote. "No other politician has as many statements rated so far down on the dial."

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., is perhaps the most recent rival to call Trump a "pathological liar," but the real-estate's tycoon willingness to fib has stymied those ready to write off his run for the White House long ago.

"Republicans who support Trump either don't see his comments as lies or are so angry at the mainstream media they don't trust its fact checking or simply don't care," comedian Dean Obeidallah wrote at CNN in November. "In fact, a recent poll found that 60 percent of Republicans find Trump to be honest and trustworthy."

Others have said that it's in the media's interest not to directly challenge Trump's lies. After all: People love reading about this guy, right? Why derail a colorful candidate who grabs readers' interest?

"The incentive for candidates [to lie] is that most media outlets don't have the resources to check for accuracy immediately, but since the U.S. news media is based on the commercial model - and more eyeballs on the page or the screen is good for business-the networks love it when someone like Donald Trump says outrageous stuff," Michelle Amazeen, an assistant communications professor at Rider University, told the Daily Beast last month. "Fact-checking rains on the parade of that revenue model."
Old 12-22-2015, 04:13 PM   #95
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
That seems more suited to the Republicans. Nixon even had a committee that use to sit around thinking of sleazy things to do. They did it so much that laws had to be passed to try to prevent it.
Did that come up during the investigation, that Hillary was kicked off of for being unethical and sleazy ?
Old 12-22-2015, 04:24 PM   #96
PaulS

Do you have a link to that?

I think you need to read more newspapers.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:06 PM   #97
detbuch

Trump should apologize to the Muslim world . . . then offer to help organize their beauty pageants. There certainly are some Muslims who I think even he would allow to immigrate here:

http://www.eface.in/queen-of-saudi-a...dabari-photos/

I enjoyed the comments after the photos . . . especially the one by a Donald Hemp. Kind of like one of the guys from this forum snuck a comment in amidst the dreamy ones by Arabic sounding names.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:45 AM   #98
Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Paul There is no political group then the democrats that R more sleazy then the democrats forcing and herding people into obamacare forcing fines for not joining and huge co pays when needing medical assistance.....

"When its not about money,it's all about money."...
Old 12-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #99
PaulS

I guess I got my laugh for the day. Thanks
Old 12-24-2015, 10:13 AM   #100
Fly Rod

Here the dems are crucifying trump for wanting to send illegals back, the dems R going to B making raids and deporting illegals...dems talk with fork tongue to please their constituents....will the TV news media pick up on this?.....

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-...cL&ocid=EIE9HP

Old 12-24-2015, 10:33 AM   #101
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod;1089227...dems talk with fork tongue to please their constituents......:)

[url
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-plans-raids-to-deport-families-who-surged-across-border/ar-BBnRSkB?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=EIE9HP[/url]
Are you talking about Elizabeth Warren ?
Old 12-24-2015, 04:30 PM   #102
Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Are you talking about Elizabeth Warren ?
LOL.....