Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-05-2017, 08:15 PM   #1
detbuch

A Muslim Iman that I actually like and wish the best. . . but

It might take a long time for his version of Islam to happen . . . but we in the West can hope. It is not only a greatly reformed version, he calls for it to recognize the separation of church (mosque) and state.

Last edited by detbuch; 12-05-2017 at 08:28 PM..
Old 12-05-2017, 08:21 PM   #2
Jim in CT

has he been assassinated yet?
Old 12-05-2017, 08:25 PM   #3
detbuch

A Muslim Imam who I actually like . . . but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
has he been assassinated yet?
Not yet. He does get a lot of death threats.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:22 PM   #4
Nebe

It would be nice to see the religious right back off and accept the separation of church and state as well.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 12-06-2017, 10:07 AM   #5
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
It would be nice to see the religious right back off and accept the separation of church and state as well.
It would be nice if the leftists politicians and judges would back off of trampling on the First and Second Amendments.

What does the religious right do to mess with the so-called separation of church and state?
Old 12-06-2017, 12:22 PM   #6
Nebe

Oh I dunno... maybe they vote in their own to represent their beliefs and push their holy agenda and encourage stupid holy wars and also oppress the personal freedoms of people who don’t follow their beliefs in the name of their god...
that’s just my take on it. Our government should be 100% neutral on anything to do with any religion.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:44 PM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
Oh I dunno... maybe they vote in their own to represent their beliefs and push their holy agenda and encourage stupid holy wars and also oppress the personal freedoms of people who don’t follow their beliefs in the name of their god...
that’s just my take on it. Our government should be 100% neutral on anything to do with any religion.
"maybe they vote in their own to represent their beliefs "

Oh my god, who the hell do they think they are, to vote in accordance with their religiously-informed consciences?

"encourage stupid holy wars "

Are you talking about the Crusades?

"Our government should be 100% neutral on anything to do with any religion" Which is precisely what I want, because for the last 8 years, we had a jerk who actively attacked Christianity. When you try to tell the Little Sisters Of The Poor that they have to pay for abortions and birth control, you are somebody who hates the first amendment.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:46 PM   #8
detbuch

Quote:
Oh I dunno... maybe they vote in their own to represent their beliefs

So would you be willing to stop voting for those who represent your beliefs?

and push their holy agenda

And should every one else also have no agenda?

and encourage stupid holy wars

Which holy wars are the Christian right encouraging. And which party or form of government does not engage in wars?

and also oppress the personal freedoms of people who don’t follow their beliefs in the name of their god...

Which personal freedoms of whom have the Christian right oppressed?

Abortion? Abortion is philosophically repugnant to Christians and other religions, left or right, to various atheists, to people of all stripes. There is a great debate on whether abortion denies the right to life, and, like all political issues, can be decided at the ballot box. If voting is oppression, then we all oppress each other.

Not baking a gay cake? That does not oppress the right of gays to have a gay cake. Quite the opposite, forcing some to bake a cake they don't want to bake is oppressing many of the bakers' rights.

And yet it is imposing on religious rights.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:53 PM   #9
Nebe

LOL.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:57 PM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
And yet it is imposing on religious rights.
There was a case where Muslim truck drivers were fired because they refused to transport alcohol, due to religious beliefs. The Obama administration had an EEOC lawyer sue on their behalf, saying that an employer cannot force an en employee to violate the principles of his religion, when an accommodation can easily be made.

Here is what the EEOC lawyer said...

"Everyone has a right to observe his or her religious beliefs, and employers don't get to pick and choose which religions and which religious practices they will accommodate. If an employer can reasonably accommodate an employee's religious practice without an undue hardship, then it must do so. That is a principle which has been memorialized in federal employment law for almost 50 years, and it is why EEOC is in this case."

Obama believes that Muslims are entitled to this protection, but not Christians who own bakeries. If anyone can explain why that's not glaring discrimination, well, I'm all ears.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:31 PM   #11
Nebe

Quote:
There was a case where Muslim truck drivers were fired because they refused to transport alcohol, due to religious beliefs. The Obama administration had an EEOC lawyer sue on their behalf, saying that an employer cannot force an en employee to violate the principles of his religion, when an accommodation can easily be made.

"Everyone has a right to observe his or her religious beliefs, and employers don't get to pick and choose which religions and which religious practices they will accommodate. If an employer can reasonably accommodate an employee's religious practice without an undue hardship, then it must do so. That is a principle which has been memorialized in federal employment law for almost 50 years, and it is why EEOC is in this case."

Obama believes that Muslims are entitled to this protection, but not Christians who own bakeries. If anyone can explain why that's not glaring discrimination, well, I'm all ears.
Kim Baker didn’t loose her job.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:48 PM   #12
spence

Quote:

A few corrections Jim.

The Administration didn't sue on behalf of the men the EEOC did. Also, the suits are different. One is about the "company" the other about the "individual." The transport company admitted they could have easily changed the schedule to accommodate the employees. The baker didn't seem to provide for this flexibility.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #13
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
A few corrections Jim.

The Administration didn't sue on behalf of the men the EEOC did. Also, the suits are different. One is about the "company" the other about the "individual." The transport company admitted they could have easily changed the schedule to accommodate the employees. The baker didn't seem to provide for this flexibility.
Yeah, but her emails......
Old 12-06-2017, 03:57 PM   #14
detbuch

The baker was not hiring any potential employees. He was selling cakes and pastries which he made and sold to anyone who wanted to buy them, including gays. He did not, nor did he want to, make gay cakes. No matter who wanted to buy such cakes. When the government can force you to produce something you don't want to produce, that government is acting tyrannically. And those who speak of "rights" and characterize such things as the right to demand or force someone to make something that person does not want to make, those people have a very cynical and limited notion of what a "right" is.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:17 PM   #15
spence

Quote:
The baker was not hiring any potential employees. He was selling cakes and pastries which he made and sold to anyone who wanted to buy them, including gays. He did not, nor did he want to, make gay cakes.
Ok, so a gay cupcake, peanut butter brownie, raisin maple scone, bearclaw or delicate buttery croissant are all fine but if it's a wedding cake that's unethical.

Odd.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:01 PM   #16
detbuch

Quote:
Ok, so a gay cupcake, peanut butter brownie, raisin maple scone, bearclaw or delicate buttery croissant are all fine but if it's a wedding cake that's unethical.

Odd.
That's the reason that religious liberty is protected by the Constitution. It is "odd" to non-believers. If being "odd" was a crime, there are times that you'd be breaking the law.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:23 PM   #17
Jim in CT

Quote:
Kim Baker didn’t loose her job.
Obama never acted on behalf of Christians who didn’t want to participate in gay weddings. The little sisters of the poor had to take obama to the Supreme Court.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:26 PM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:
A few corrections Jim.

Who does the EEOC work for?

The happy gay couple couldn’t get another baker? There were no other bakeries?

And again, the little sisters of the poor successfully sued obama at the Supreme Court, when El Deuce tried to force Catholic nuns to pay for birth control and abortions. Perfectly in keeping with the second amendment! Pass no law which restricts the free exercise of religion, whatever.

The constitution was given a stay of execution as soon as that horses ass left the Oval Office.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:27 PM   #19
Jim in CT

Quote:
The baker was not hiring any potential employees. He was selling cakes and pastries which he made and sold to anyone who wanted to buy them, including gays. He did not, nor did he want to, make gay cakes. No matter who wanted to buy such cakes. When the government can force you to produce something you don't want to produce, that government is acting tyrannically. And those who speak of "rights" and characterize such things as the right to demand or force someone to make something that person does not want to make, those people have a very cynical and limited notion of what a "right" is.
Constitution, shmonstitution.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:10 PM   #20
spence

Quote:
That's the reason that religious liberty is protected by the Constitution. It is "odd" to non-believers. If being "odd" was a crime, there are times that you'd be breaking the law.
No, that's why we have Civil Rights and Equal Protection. Otherwise you'd have people claiming any religious exemption for anything.

And you know this.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:28 PM   #21
Nebe

What does that bumper sticker say? “If your religion requires hate, find a new one”

Old 12-06-2017, 07:32 PM   #22
spence

Quote:
What does that bumper sticker say? “If your religion requires hate, find a new one”

Irony here is that most religions are really based on love...it's the original meaning of belief in this context.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:15 PM   #23
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
A few corrections Jim.

The Administration didn't sue on behalf of the men the EEOC did. Also, the suits are different. One is about the "company" the other about the "individual." The transport company admitted they could have easily changed the schedule to accommodate the employees.

The baker didn't seem to provide for this flexibility.
Quote:

Odd.
I have no horse in this fight but if you really looked into this wedding cake issue, you will find that they are fine with selling them a cake, they are not fine with decorating the cake with all the pro-gay stuff the customer wanted on it apparently. They have that right.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:19 PM   #24
spence

Can anyone describe how this cake was gay?
Old 12-06-2017, 08:22 PM   #25
Slipknot
Super Moderator

there is no cake

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:24 PM   #26
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 12-06-2017, 09:29 PM   #27
detbuch

Quote:
It only wanted to have sex with cakes that had the same genitalia as it.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:33 PM   #28
detbuch

Quote:
Irony here is that most religions are really based on love...it's the original meaning of belief in this context.
What's love got to do with it?
Old 12-06-2017, 09:35 PM   #29
Jim in CT

Quote:
No, that's why we have Civil Rights and Equal Protection. Otherwise you'd have people claiming any religious exemption for anything.

And you know this.
The Muslim truckers refused to do their stated job, for religious reasons. The owners of the company were not allowed to punish them.

It's the Christians in this case who are being denied equal protection. This is why the Little Sisters prevailed at the Supreme Court, over Obama, who tried to deny them their protected rights.

Read the freedom of religion clause, and tell me how you can conclude anything other than telling the happy couple to find another baker. If Muslim truckers can refuse to transport things that violate their religion and not be subject to punishment, then the Little Sisters can say that they aren't providing birth control and abortions.

The Bill Of Rights applies, even when liberals don't particularly like it.

There is a Christian baker case at the Supreme Court right now. Thank God for Gorsuch.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:36 PM   #30
detbuch

Quote:

That's the sibling to the bumper sticker that says "If your opinion requires hating Christians, find new one."