Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Muzik

Muzik Muzik Forums - by popular request...

Old 12-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Who influenced your likes and dislikes?

So lets hear it, who influenced what music you like?

Long list for me. these guys defined most of what I listed to today

1. My Dad, he had music on all the time. Lots of old country, jazz, blues, vocals, Beatles. He opened my ears to a lot of stuff since I was a little kid

2. Sister, my sister is 6 years older than me. i can remember clearly Fleetwood Mac, Frampton and Led Zeppeling blasting from her room. She used to buy me albums as presents and I borrowed a lot from her collection. She also had an old acoustic guitar in the house that I started noodling around with when I was 13.

3. My youngest uncle,about 15 years older than me was a massive 60s and 70s music fan. He used to give me tons and tons of albums, Stones, Sabbath, Zeppelin, Doors. I was only 10 or so and a big music fan. I remember those Fontana labels on the Sabbath albums. I used to listen to zeppeling,stones and sabbath over and over. Most of my friends were into the current music.

4. Joyce from Looney Tunes, some of you South County guys might know her. I was teaching guitar lessons at Looney tunes and she used to play a ton of reggae, she introduced me to Funkadelic, Zappa and lots of old reggae, ska, chili peppers. She was an awesome lady.

5. Dave Bernstein- my jazz guitar teacher in San Francisco 1994-1997. An extremely talented musician who also collected records. I thought I knew alot about music, but this guy knew it all. Introduced me to a lot of blues, country, jazz guys I never heard of. We spent hours discussing music. I learned a ton.

How about you guys?

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Interesting. Wish I had that kind of pedigree. I'd have to say Mary Jane influenced my music tastes more than anything.
My bakeout 60's uncle that lived with my grandmother for so many years had some input. Lazy dude mooching off his mom. I'd poke thru his music stuff when he was out. After it was just me and my friends and my insatiable appetite for anything music. Then my uncle again a decade and a half later got me into acoustic stuff and would drag me into the city to see some shows.
If you saw my 1500 song I Pod you would see I really don't dislike much,with the exception of anything closely resembling Crap, sorry Rap. I'll sample anything.
I hope some day my daughter will thank me for being such a hard ass on her taking piano lessons. I wish someone had pushed me like that.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
Raven

couldn't help it

growing up with the beatles and the monkeys

not to like the lyrics...

i used to never like classical music at all...

but then after being forced into it by a boss who had it on every day at work ...i started to like it because it allowed you to mentally relive many old movies...

then i discovered that classical music solved my issues with road rage so i use it accordingly...

i enjoy music that allows you to travel intellectually
or thinking mans music
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote