Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

View Poll Results: My finish failure is:
Wood to sealer 1 3.70%
Sealer to prime coat 4 14.81%
Prime coat to color coat(s) 4 14.81%
Color coat to protective coat 8 29.63%
All of the above 5 18.52%
You should bow before me, mine are perfect 5 18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

Finish failure poll

If your finishes fail, where is the problem?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
angler229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
If your finishes fail, where is the problem?
Wherever you lose patience between steps, which I think you mostly see between sealer and primer.
angler229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

I don't use primer ... either flat black or flat white rattle can to cpes...

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
stripermaineiac

I build custom rods also and everytime I screw up a finish its due to me being impatient. Either between steps or waiting for the humidity to drop. But always due to rushing it. Ron
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:11 AM   #5
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by angler229 View Post
Wherever you lose patience between steps, which I think you mostly see between sealer and primer.
Tish is a good place to begin.... another common problem is sanding the plug to too fine of a finish....and along the line of impatience... not giving each step in the process suffecient time to cure...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:17 AM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

How about none of the above....mine fails usually because I don't mix it good enough....or I mix it too much and run out of time before it starts to set up. i use Devcon 2-ton...only got about 5 minutes to make it happen before it sets up

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:23 AM   #7
stripercrazy
Hernia Pikie Maker

most time if I
m useing cans it will be between the primer and the color...the color coms off with the epoxy

its no ones fault
stripercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:26 AM   #8
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

mine fail because I am just a plain idiot sometimes

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #9
Canalman
Calling Jon The Fisherman

The answer to your poll should be all of the above at one time or another. It depends on where the failure is ocurring.

If your wood is splitting, your sealer is not working.

If you paint is peeling off down to the wood, your primer/base coat is not compatible with your sealer, you didn;t sand your sealer before priming, your sealer was allowed to dry long enough or maybe you didn't wipe away the sanding dust before you primed.

If your paint is bubbling, cracking or fisheyeing, you have paint compatibility issues or a foreign substance contaminating the surface (oil from your hands, silicone, wax...) Same goes for your clear coat.

If your clear is flaking off down to the paint, you have poor intercoat adhesion there, light sanding or a "scratch coat" is needed. If your epoxy is cracking after your lure is fished, your wood is swelling and a better sealer in required. This is one crazy game we all play!

Surf Asylum Lures, Custom Lures for the "Committed"
Official S-B Sponsor
Canalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #10
winchmaster

Pete I was one of those guys that never had problems with my finish. They went on clean and clear and looked like glass. Well that was until last summer when I started to get an orange peel look. No more clean finishes. I went through everything, Bought new epoxy, checked my materials, started wearing gloves and checking humidity. It was weird I would change something up and get good results but then if I did a run of plugs I would get this uneven orange peel look near the tail. The weird part was that the plugs were coated with enough clear in the lower portion of the epoxy finish to handle beating but weren't up to the standard look I wanted.
I did everything and then said f it. Closed the shed for a month and goofed around.
When I went back in to do some work I went through my process and realized I was using newer brushes. They were the same material but were wider and spread the finish more evenly. I went back to my older thinner brushes and saw that they glopped the finish on thicker than the newer big brushes. Plug finishes have all come out very well.
So now I have two thoughts humidity played a part or the fact that by using a bigger brush gave me driver error.

Its only art if it don't catch fish!
winchmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #11
eskimo

For a while I was having problems between primer and paint until I was messing with some test plugs that were just rattle canned and realized the adhesion was much better.

Since then I dropped the idea of thinning my createx (esp with water) and the adhesion seems much better and the primmer doesn't get as soggy. Although I'm still going to try straight white out of the rattle can and see how that reacts to the sealer. Even with heat and circulating air the krylon primer doesn't seem to dry.

Nobody calls me Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. I'm the Dude, man.
eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:32 PM   #12
gone fishin

I have been having chipping and paint separation between the primer and the color coat. I am on a new kick using acrylic primer and then acrylic colors. The separation has ceased. I was using a oil based primer and then acrylic. I find the combination non compatible as well as shellac based primers.

I also heat treat the createx or acrylic color coat. That also seems to help the finish adhere properly.

Are we having fun yet??

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote