Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Why is the right wing always trying to restrict our freedoms?

San Francisco, California (CNN) -- Happy Meals could become a thing of the past in San Francisco after a vote by the city's leaders Tuesday.

San Francisco's board of supervisors is expected to formally approve a ban on most of McDonald's Happy Meals in current form during a meeting Tuesday.

The move to turn Happy Meals into healthy meals was proposed because some in the northern California city felt that McDonald's offers toys to entice kids to buy meals that don't meet nutritional criteria.

Uhhh, wait a minute...........
Good thing we have liberals to save us from ourselves! As a side note - propostion 19 won the majority in San Francisco!

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 11-09-2010 at 11:54 AM..

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 11-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
JohnnyD

We lose more of our freedoms every day due to both sides of the aisle. The Democrats do it with the basis that they know what's best for us and the Republicans under the disguise of "national security".
Old 11-09-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
We lose more of our freedoms every day due to both sides of the aisle. The Democrats do it with the basis that they know what's best for us and the Republicans under the disguise of "national security".
What rights have the GOP taken away under the guise of "national security"? Specifics, please...
Old 11-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
scottw

this could be tricky...being that they are in disguise and all
Old 11-09-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
What rights have the GOP taken away under the guise of "national security"? Specifics, please...
The Fourth Amendment:
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

-Blind support for Bush and his approval of Warrantless Wiretapping of American citizens.

-National Security Letters which were utilized widely under the Bush presidency that can be used to acquire information on citizens without any signs of them having done any wrongdoing.

Freedom of the Press, with regards to:

Alberto R. Gonzales' threats to prosecute journalists at the NYT for publishing information about the NSA's surveillance of calls between the US and abroad.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
buckman

Quote:
The Fourth Amendment:
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

-Blind support for Bush and his approval of Warrantless Wiretapping of American citizens.

-National Security Letters which were utilized widely under the Bush presidency that can be used to acquire information on citizens without any signs of them having done any wrongdoing.

Freedom of the Press, with regards to:

Alberto R. Gonzales' threats to prosecute journalists at the NYT for publishing information about the NSA's surveillance of calls between the US and abroad.
These are the same Obama campaigned against and then extended. Name one freedom JD lost?
Old 11-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
Jim in CT

Johnny D -

I suprised, you actually listed things that, as far as I know, the feds are actually doing...you didn't make anything up.

Now, in your first post, you said the feds were doing these things under "disguse" of national security concerns.

The use of the word "disguise" implies that YOU think the feds had some other motive, other than national security for, say, warrantless wiretapping. SO, if the feds aren't doing these things to deter terrorist attack (which I contend they are), why are the feds doing these things? Do you really think the feds want to know whether Johnny D likes vanilla or chocolate icecream? You think NSA is keeping a list of people who are against the Patriot Act?
Old 11-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #8
Raven

Cool

you guys are adding a new page to your file every day
Old 11-09-2010, 02:06 PM   #9
FishermanTim

Speak a little louder into the mouse (microphone)!
Old 11-09-2010, 02:14 PM   #10
buckman

Quote:
Johnny D -

I suprised, you actually listed things that, as far as I know, the feds are actually doing...you didn't make anything up.

Now, in your first post, you said the feds were doing these things under "disguse" of national security concerns.

The use of the word "disguise" implies that YOU think the feds had some other motive, other than national security for, say, warrantless wiretapping. SO, if the feds aren't doing these things to deter terrorist attack (which I contend they are), why are the feds doing these things? Do you really think the feds want to know whether Johnny D likes vanilla or chocolate icecream? You think NSA is keeping a list of people who are against the Patriot Act?
So Bush and Cheney get rich off big oil. Everyone knows that
Old 11-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #11
scottw

Quote:
Johnny D -

exactly, they were only pretending to care about national security and used the man caused disaster on 9/11 to give themselves access to your wife calling you with a list of groceries to pick up on the way home from work....it's all very sinister ...in other words...democrats know what's best for you ....and republicans know what you're having for dinner tonight better not be a Happy Meal
Old 11-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #12
JohnnyD

Quote:
The feds couldn't care less about me from a security aspect. I probably fall in the least risky of demographics.

The secretive surveillance of any American citizen is a concern for me. If there are terrorist concerns with a certain individual, there are proper channels to present classified information to a judge and have the surveillance approved. My biggest issue is that there is no oversight. This country was created with method of checks and balances to protect the liberties our Founding Fathers fought for. These programs (and pretty much the entirety of the NSA) are allowed, through legislation like the Patriot Act and the Homeland Security Act, to operate outside of the channels which assure the proper checks and balances take place to protect the people.

When we turn a blind eye to Orwellian actions by the government, we allow them to slowly chip away at our personal freedoms and liberties until we are left with none. I know it sounds sensationalist, but as Patrick Henry so articulately put it "Give me Liberty or give me death!"

--------

Also, remembered one other attempt led by the GOP to dissolve our freedom, the REAL ID Act which would have allowed the feds to collect and categorize a massive amount of information about every individual in this country.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:43 PM   #13
scottw

Quote:
--------

Also, remembered one other attempt led by the GOP to dissolve our freedom, the REAL ID Act which would have allowed the feds to collect and categorize a massive amount of information about every individual in this country.
not defending the act but

wiki: The REAL ID Act implements the following:

Changing visa limits for temporary workers, nurses, and Australian citizens.
Establishing new national standards for state-issued driver licenses and non-driver identification cards.
Funding some reports and pilot projects related to border security.
Introducing rules covering "delivery bonds" (rather like bail bonds but for aliens who have been released pending hearings).
Updating and tightening the laws on application for asylum and deportation of aliens for terrorist activity.
Waiving laws that interfere with construction of physical barriers at the borders.