Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 07-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
JohnnyD

Woke up yesterday to a visitor in the house...

Got woken up at 5am yesterday to all sorts of banging around. Initially I thought the white trash next door was still awake from their nightly crack binge, but thought it strange since they're usually passed out around 3am.

Walk into the living room and towards the window to look outside. I see something move out of the corner of my groggy eye, look up and this is looking back at me...

After chasing it back and forth for 15 minutes on the curtains, it decided to jump from the curtains, to a lamp, ripped down a coat rack and launched 5 feet over onto the fireplace mantle. Then it finally calmed down.

I put a headlamp on and used it to blind the furry rat. Armed with a beach towel and heavy snow gloves (couldn't find the leather gloves), I was able to grab it from the side of the fireplace. Got one hand (glove?) around its head and a full fist around the torso just below the neck.

The thing went ballistic, understandably so. It squirmed like mad for a few seconds then chomped through the glove and into the hand around its head not once, but twice. As a reaction, I must have squeezed the other hand around its torso super tight because it just froze in place.

With a throbbing, bloody finger and a somewhat paralyzed tree rat in my hand, I walked over and opened a window that doesn't have a screen - we're on the second floor with the driveway right below that window.

I 'Randy Johnson-ed' that effing thing as hard as I could out the window. It hits the driveway, rolls a few times and then sits there a second. Next thing you know, it's scurrying across the driveway and up a tree all nimbly-bimbly like nothing happened.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
fishbones

Did it piss on anything in your house?

By the way, when you use the term "nimbly-bimbly" it makes it sound like you live in Cambridge.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Did it piss on anything in your house?
I did a walk around and didn't come across piss anywhere. Still finding mini-chocolates everywhere though.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

It's a rental right? Next time save the thumb and just use the pellet rifle. A little putty, a little pain, wall is good as new.

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetwater View Post
It's a rental right? Next time save the thumb and just use the pellet rifle. A little putty, a little pain, wall is good as new.
I thought about it, but didn't want to deal with the cleanup. After the bitten finger, next time there's no choice. They enter my home, they leave in a plastic bag.

Btw, they pushed open the screen. Wasn't like I left the window open.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #6
FishermanTim

When they get to the "B & E" stage, it's time to stop them "dead" in their tracks. Anything else will just make them more determined to get in, as if they're thinking "Wow, now I REALLY have to get in there and see what they got!"

a well placed shot and a road side drop-off and your rodent problem will be gone......until it's offspring decide to follow in its footsteps.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
striperman36
Old Guy

I've seen chipmunks fall 150' out of oak trees, walk around groggy and then saunter off. Doesn't surprise me that you didn't kill it when it hit the pavement.

use the gun
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
You had 2 hands on the furry tailed rat, a slight twist&pull of the neck is very effective! Or while holding the tailing swing the sucker such that its neck hits some corner of an object.

No holes, no mess to clean...

Last edited by PRBuzz; 07-13-2011 at 06:58 PM..

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #9
Raven

no worries

go here

Spring-Powered Air Rifles | Spring-Powered Air Guns | Archer Pellet Guns

order

end of problem
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #10
MAKAI
Too old to give a....

Silly boy, you must wash your squirrels.

May fortune favor the foolish....
MAKAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #11
JohnnyD

As I've mentioned in the past, the annoying part is the yuppie neighbors so I can't go into the front drive way and take them all out. I'd probably get at least 2-3 a day if I could.

However, come Sept 1 when the season opens on squirrels and I'll be 100% legal, I plan on completely eradicating them from the neighborhood. Until then, I'll have to go back to picking them off inconspicuously. Mepps will be getting a few shipments of tails from me then.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:36 AM   #12
Rockfish9

Thanks for the morning chuckle... the little varmits are resilant... next time , when you have the critter "under you thumb" place your booted heel ( using all your weight) to the rib cage area for about a minute... the little varmit will expire quickly with no biting or blood...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:39 PM   #13
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Duke Nukem woulda put in it the microwave!

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #14
Backbeach Jake

If it had bit me , I'd have broken it's effn neck. I hate squirrels in the house. If I get the drop on them they're scrod and all their friends get to view the remains.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #15
MAKAI
Too old to give a....

I have tons of darts if you want, really sharp too !

May fortune favor the foolish....
MAKAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:40 PM   #16
O.D. Mike

Dude all this talk about your LTC you should have pulled your Sig and blazed him!!!!

"Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice." >> Yoda
O.D. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #17
FishermanTim

Been trying out my new Crossman pellet rifle (pump action, not CO2).
Sure is funny watching those little peckers leap into the air and flip when they get pegged with a bb at 658 fps!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #18
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.D. Mike View Post
Dude all this talk about your LTC you should have pulled your Sig and blazed him!!!!
They'll be leaving in a plastic bag from now on... no questions asked. But the misses may not look too kindly on discharging a firearm in the house at a rodent.

The only reason I didn't use the pellet rifle initially is because I didn't want to clean up a bloody mess on the carpet and wall. At 30', my pellet rifle puts hollow point pellets in one side and out the other side. I can't imagine what that mess would be like indoors.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #19
Slick Moedee

save'm for shark bait
Slick Moedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #20
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Got woken up at 5am yesterday to all sorts of banging around. Initially I thought the white trash next door was still awake from their nightly crack binge, but thought it strange since they're usually passed out around 3am.
Quote:
As I've mentioned in the past, the annoying part is the yuppie neighbors so I can't go into the front drive way and take them all out.
Where the heck do you live? You've got white trash crackheads and yuppies in the same neighborhood? Where do you fit in?

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:09 AM   #21
johnny ducketts
><(((°> ><((( °> ><(((°>

Shoulda bit it back, kinda like Ozzy and the bat.

60 % of the time, it works every time.
johnny ducketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #22
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Where the heck do you live? You've got white trash crackheads and yuppies in the same neighborhood? Where do you fit in?
Yup. The nice woman that used to rent the main house moved out and some white trash moved in with their 5 kids young kids and neither parent have a job. The foofoo yuppies are to the other side and always out in their yard.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:43 PM   #23
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Funny you say that I hit one so hard at 50' today he flew 4' in the air.

He died faster than any I've ever seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
Been trying out my new Crossman pellet rifle (pump action, not CO2).
Sure is funny watching those little peckers leap into the air and flip when they get pegged with a bb at 658 fps!
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #24
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
Funny you say that I hit one so hard at 50' today he flew 4' in the air.

He died faster than any I've ever seen
If you're looking to upgrade, I'm loving this one.
Gamo® Refurbished Big Cat 1200 Air Rifle Combo, Air Rifles, Airguns & Slingshots, Shooting : Cabela's
over the 4th of July, we were picking off coffee cans from 75-100' away. Shoots lead at 1000fps.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #25
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Sheridan Benjamin Blue Streak pump 6mm 20 cal pellet is my delivery system... Plenty of punch at 675fps, but the rear site was awful. Might have to add a rail to mount a 4X32 scope.

Last edited by nightfighter; 07-16-2011 at 06:26 PM..

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #26
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

I was liking this a bit better

Quote:
If you're looking to upgrade, I'm loving this one.
Gamo® Refurbished Big Cat 1200 Air Rifle Combo, Air Rifles, Airguns & Slingshots, Shooting : Cabela's
over the 4th of July, we were picking off coffee cans from 75-100' away. Shoots lead at 1000fps.
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #27
maddog2020

Sheridan Blue Streak is 5 mm/.20 cal. Those pack a good punch! Years back I had a Beeman Kodiak in .25 cal - what a beast it was to break open to cock it (~40 lbs of force). Spring air rifles are lots of fun.

Blind him w/ a flash light and use a net to tangle him up. Walking him outside and place in a pail of water. LOL or you could be like Bugger and stomp em w/ ya boots!
maddog2020 is offline   Reply With Quote