Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
The Dad Fisherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Georgetown MA
Posts: 15,696
No More Boy Scout...

Holy Crap....where'd the Time Go...My son turned 18 today. He is no longer a Boy Scout....now he's an Adult Leader. Can't believe he's that old....seems like yesterday we were building his 1st Pinewood Derby car together.

Time goes by fast gents....enjoy it while it lasts...

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
Sea Dangles
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Sea Dangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,511
HBD to The Son Fisherman.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
gf2020
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 443
It goes fast, doesn't it? My twins are 15 and now Life.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:01 AM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
The Dad Fisherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Georgetown MA
Posts: 15,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
It goes fast, doesn't it? My twins are 15 and now Life.
Home Stretch.....Twin Eagles, Pretty Cool

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist
iTrader: (1)
 
JohnR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Somewhere between OOB & west of Watch Hill
Posts: 31,742
Blog Entries: 1
Excellent!

Hard to believe but my kid crosses over from Cubs next month.

(Oh, yeh, thanks to the invite for the Eagle Court )

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers


Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.


Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
Striperknight
Plug Paladin
iTrader: (0)
 
Striperknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Jackson, N.J.
Posts: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Excellent!

Hard to believe but my kid crosses over from Cubs next month.

(Oh, yeh, thanks to the invite for the Eagle Court )
My son gets his Arrow of Light as well.
Striperknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #7
Rockfish9
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Rockfish9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Reading Mass/Newburyport/merrimack river
Posts: 2,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Holy Crap....where'd the Time Go...My son turned 18 today. He is no longer a Boy Scout....now he's an Adult Leader. Can't believe he's that old....seems like yesterday we were building his 1st Pinewood Derby car together.

Time goes by fast gents....enjoy it while it lasts...
Happy Birthday to your son it's an Important mile stone.. you should be proud... the time goes fast and picks up speed... as you said It all seems like yesterday...It doesnt seem like 14 years ago to me my son and i went on our last run together before he went into the Navy.. now he's been a Seal for 11 years... he'll have 20 years in and be retired while the old man is still working...go figure..

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #8
Saltheart
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Saltheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cumberland,RI
Posts: 8,550
Happy Birthday to "The Son of The Dad Fisherman".

That would make a good screen name!

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist
iTrader: (1)
 
JohnR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Somewhere between OOB & west of Watch Hill
Posts: 31,742
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striperknight View Post
My son gets his Arrow of Light as well.
Time flies, eh? My son did his interview with the Scoutmaster of the Troop he's crossing into this weekend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post
Happy Birthday to your son it's an Important mile stone.. you should be proud... the time goes fast and picks up speed... as you said It all seems like yesterday...It doesnt seem like 14 years ago to me my son and i went on our last run together before he went into the Navy.. now he's been a Seal for 11 years... he'll have 20 years in and be retired while the old man is still working...go figure..
Shake his hand for us - thank you.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers


Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.


Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
gf2020
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Home Stretch.....Twin Eagles, Pretty Cool

I hope so. They won't be like their Dad and just squeak it in before their 18th birthday.

I attended the Council Eagle Scout Recognition Dinner last night. 177 Eagle Scouts in our corner of Northeastern MA for 2011. Not too shabby.

Our Troop had 3 Eagles in 2011. We just had 2 more complete their Board of Review this week and 3 more wrapping up in the next 3 months, that will be 5 for 2012 and we could have more if a few more boys get their butts in gear. My sons will be in 2013, I imagine.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #11
TheSpecialist
Hardcore Equipment Tester
iTrader: (0)
 
TheSpecialist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Abington, MA
Posts: 6,119
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post
Happy Birthday to your son it's an Important mile stone.. you should be proud... the time goes fast and picks up speed... as you said It all seems like yesterday...It doesnt seem like 14 years ago to me my son and i went on our last run together before he went into the Navy.. now he's been a Seal for 11 years... he'll have 20 years in and be retired while the old man is still working...go figure..
He deserves a senators retirement for the things he does, he is a true patriot and hero. Please thank him for us.

Bent Rods and Screaming Reels!

Spot NAZI
TheSpecialist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #12
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist
iTrader: (1)
 
JohnR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Somewhere between OOB & west of Watch Hill
Posts: 31,742
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpecialist View Post
He deserves a senators retirement for the things he does, he is a true patriot and hero. Please thank him for us.
He doesn't deserve a Senators retirement so much as Seantors don't deserve a Sentators retirement.

He does deserve a fantastic retirement and though I have never met him - with choice I significantly doubt he'd retire. Always something to do next.

P.S. If any one is looking for a good charity to support there are all the great one like wounded warriors, Soldiers's Angels Valour IT, and such, but there are also lesser know like Navy Seal Foundation that are worthy of your consideration.

(and yes, we have personally and through the site supported all three charities)

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers


Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.


Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #13
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures
iTrader: (0)
 
Tagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brockton,Ma
Posts: 8,474
2 Eagles here .. Those days are over and looked back upon fondly . My boys ,, now grown men ,tell me what a great father I was ,,. Whats that worth ? Enjoy watching your boys grow up .. I did .

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
OLD GOAT
OLDGOAT7205963
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: CAPE
Posts: 668
Well I'm afraid all my boys were girls.
Not to be outdone,#3 left a medea career to work with P.V.A. and is kind of a mother hen in D.C..
She stands kinda tall in my eyes.

Been all over the country,just a mother hen at all the events and trying to meet all the guys and take care of there needs.
OLD GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #15
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
The Dad Fisherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Georgetown MA
Posts: 15,696
Wish I'd known... I was there as well...would have come by to say hi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
I hope so. They won't be like their Dad and just squeak it in before their 18th birthday.

I attended the Council Eagle Scout Recognition Dinner last night. 177 Eagle Scouts in our corner of Northeastern MA for 2011. Not too shabby.

Our Troop had 3 Eagles in 2011. We just had 2 more complete their Board of Review this week and 3 more wrapping up in the next 3 months, that will be 5 for 2012 and we could have more if a few more boys get their butts in gear. My sons will be in 2013, I imagine.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #16
Striperknight
Plug Paladin
iTrader: (0)
 
Striperknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Jackson, N.J.
Posts: 1,132
Awards I'm making for the AOL ceremony. Still need poly,hooks,and metal nameplates. Making 7 Cub Scout career arrows has been a challenge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arroplaque.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	50430  
Striperknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #17
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
The Dad Fisherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Georgetown MA
Posts: 15,696
Those are sweet

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #18
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist
iTrader: (1)
 
JohnR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Somewhere between OOB & west of Watch Hill
Posts: 31,742
Blog Entries: 1
Nice!

Liam's Arrow of Light in two weeks.

Cub career pretty much wrapped up with a second place victory in the PWD so one 2nd place and three 1st place finishes.

(and yes, he did all of the work but superglue weights and I did 3/4 bandsaw work. )

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers


Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.


Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #19
Striperknight
Plug Paladin
iTrader: (0)
 
Striperknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Jackson, N.J.
Posts: 1,132
The finished plaques. My son is no longer a cub scout.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01954.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	51304  
Striperknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #20
WESTPORTMAFIA
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
WESTPORTMAFIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,938
Blog Entries: 1
Good job guys! I have been reading these posts since I joined s-b in 2008. And it seems like a big deal for the kids and parents. My son is turning 3 in 2 weeks. My question is - at what age can they get started? Seems like you guys have had some good times with this.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #21
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
The Dad Fisherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Georgetown MA
Posts: 15,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Nice!

Liam's Arrow of Light in two weeks.

Cub career pretty much wrapped up with a second place victory in the PWD so one 2nd place and three 1st place finishes.

(and yes, he did all of the work but superglue weights and I did 3/4 bandsaw work. )
Wow, don't know how I missed this.....Congrats to Liam....Boy Scouts are a Blast...Tell him I better get an Invite to his Eagle COH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striperknight View Post
The finished plaques. My son is no longer a cub scout.

Those came out Pissah....and Congrats as well to your new Boy Scout

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #22
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
The Dad Fisherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Georgetown MA
Posts: 15,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTPORTMAFIA View Post
Good job guys! I have been reading these posts since I joined s-b in 2008. And it seems like a big deal for the kids and parents. My son is turning 3 in 2 weeks. My question is - at what age can they get started? Seems like you guys have had some good times with this.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
1st Grade they can become a Tiger Scout....I'll let you in on a secret...its just as much fun for the dad as it is for the Scout.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #23
WESTPORTMAFIA
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
WESTPORTMAFIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,938
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
1st Grade they can become a Tiger Scout....I'll let you in on a secret...its just as much fun for the dad as it is for the Scout.
As so it seems. Thanks! Can't wait! As for now I'm gonna get him into skating to play hockey. I had to wait until 3 to get him into the closest clinic.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #24
FinS 32
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
FinS 32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Monmouth University, NJ
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Holy Crap....where'd the Time Go...My son turned 18 today. He is no longer a Boy Scout....now he's an Adult Leader. Can't believe he's that old....seems like yesterday we were building his 1st Pinewood Derby car together.

Time goes by fast gents....enjoy it while it lasts...
kind of the same situation, but its me. Turned 18 in january, now an adult leader in my troop,.

Century Rods USA Pro Staff Member
FinS 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:40 AM   #25
gf2020
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 443
Nice work on those AoL plaques!

We just had 11 Webelos cross over in to our Troop, pushing membership towards 50. It will be a lively year for sure. I already have over 30 signed up for a week of summer camp and I am bringing a crew of 12 (4 Dads & 8 Scouts) to Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico later this summer.

Kids are all so busy these days but I still think any bit of Scouting is better than no Scouting.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #26
FinS 32
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
FinS 32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Monmouth University, NJ
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Nice work on those AoL plaques!

We just had 11 Webelos cross over in to our Troop, pushing membership towards 50. It will be a lively year for sure. I already have over 30 signed up for a week of summer camp and I am bringing a crew of 12 (4 Dads & 8 Scouts) to Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico later this summer.

Kids are all so busy these days but I still think any bit of Scouting is better than no Scouting.
im going back to philmont for my 2nd time next summer

Century Rods USA Pro Staff Member
FinS 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:43 PM   #27
gf2020
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 443
Figured I would bump this old thread. My twin sons both passed their Eagle Scout board of review on Tuesday evening. As it turns out, they did end up like their Dad, squeaking in the requirements before their 18th birthday. School, sports, jobs get in the way. All's well that ends well.

Now it's on to the college applications! I'm stepping down as Scoutmaster at the end of the year too, maybe I'll finally be able to work on the "honey do" list.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #28
paradoxjim
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
paradoxjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: south shore, RI
Posts: 137
My son is 15 and a Life Scout. And I stepped up to be the Committee Chair. It would seem logical that if I fish less, I can be the Chair. Trouble is, nothing from almost nothing doesn't equal a lot more free time!
paradoxjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #29
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
The Dad Fisherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Georgetown MA
Posts: 15,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Figured I would bump this old thread. My twin sons both passed their Eagle Scout board of review on Tuesday evening. As it turns out, they did end up like their Dad, squeaking in the requirements before their 18th birthday. School, sports, jobs get in the way. All's well that ends well.

Now it's on to the college applications! I'm stepping down as Scoutmaster at the end of the year too, maybe I'll finally be able to work on the "honey do" list.
Congratulations....doesn't matter when they make it as long as they make it.

at least they stayed away from the 3 liquids that keep a boy from making eagle....Gasoline, Alcohol, and Perfume. (That was one of my Favorite Earl Collin's lines)

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:56 PM   #30
zacs
D'oh
iTrader: (0)
 
zacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: RI
Posts: 3,296
Congrats!!!

I'm on the complete other end of the spectrum, my son just got his bobcat badge on Tuesday.

Really looking forward to this fun adventure together.

i bent my wookie
zacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright 2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com