Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-23-2015, 12:57 PM   #1
Fly Rod

The Oscars

Maybe it should be called, "Liberlism At Its Finest."....has it become a political stage?.....Pay E Quality, Equal Rights, Voting Rights....Maybe the Martha Stewarts, Barbra Strriesands, George Clooneys,Tom Cruises and the likes of the many actors and actresses of the country that make millions for a couple months work contribute to pay equality....any legal citizen can vote....glad I did not watch,only read some of their speeches.

"When its not about money,it's all about money."...
Old 02-23-2015, 02:33 PM   #2
Jim in CT

Yes, the only video I saw of the whole night was some actress who won for best actress (or supporting actress), bitching about the way women are treated in this country, and there was Meryl Streep, pumping her fist. Yes, Meryl Streep has really been treated shabbily in this country because of her gender. And to the lady making the speech, she got paid millions of dollars for making the movie, she just got presented with (what to these jerks is a ) major award, and she's still bitching about how women are treated. Never, ever enough. Never.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:47 PM   #3
DZ

What happened to all the strong women in this country? If she had a gripe about womens rights she should have talked about womens rights in the Middle East. These women don't know what its like to have no rights. Sad.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:06 PM   #4
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Lady Gaga was the highlight of the show. Girl has some pipes. Actually woke me up and I rewound it to hear her whole performance. As great as she was, she has three octaves. Julie Andrews could hit four....

As for the political crap....what did you expect? Surprised to see Meryl Streep (estimated net worth $45-65 million) so vocal...

American Sniper got shut out. But the box office numbers tell a far different story........

Last edited by nightfighter; 02-23-2015 at 08:13 PM..
Old 02-23-2015, 08:45 PM   #5
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
You 4 guys watched that #^&#^&#^&#^& ?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 02-23-2015, 09:23 PM   #6
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
As for me, Ron, sometimes I am willing to let the lady to watch what she wants, and she really wanted to watch. I had Wicked Tuna recorded, and probably couldn't have stayed awake for that either. She NEVER questions me about time on the water, so this is a small price to pay into a relationship.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:24 PM   #7
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
What happened to all the strong women in this country? If she had a gripe about womens rights she should have talked about womens rights in the Middle East. These women don't know what its like to have no rights. Sad.
DZ, you have it wrong. They are asking for equal rights,meaning the same as men. Comparing this to a Middle East scenario is not exactly insightful. Have women's rights improved? Of course. Are they on equal ground as men? Not even close.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 02-24-2015, 06:34 AM   #8
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Yes, the only video I saw of the whole night was some actress who won for best actress (or supporting actress), bitching about the way women are treated in this country, and there was Meryl Streep, pumping her fist. Yes, Meryl Streep has really been treated shabbily in this country because of her gender. And to the lady making the speech, she got paid millions of dollars for making the movie, she just got presented with (what to these jerks is a ) major award, and she's still bitching about how women are treated. Never, ever enough. Never.
Give me a break.
Did she say poor, poor me or poor poor, Meryl Streep? She was speaking in a general sense.

You have to be poor to have an opinion on woman's rights?

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 02-24-2015, 06:46 AM   #9
Raven

i once had my wife and i quit our jobs on the spot
because the Boss said no to her getting a 10 cent raise.

The Job she was doing was making dairy queen hot dog holders
and they were printed in doubles so that you could unzip the stack
with your hands and place each half stack in a wax paper bag.

i worked close by and after she replaced the slow poke Portuguese guy
you could hear her ZIPS twice as fast as before if not faster.

When her raise (30 days) was flatly denied .... i shut down my pizza box maker machine
and went and asked the BOSS .....WHY? he smiled and said
because we are prejudiced against women is WHY !! with attitude.

I motioned to her to come talk to me "NOW" then hand in hand we walked away
never to return
and it was the proudest day of my LIFE.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:35 AM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
DZ, you have it wrong. They are asking for equal rights,meaning the same as men. Comparing this to a Middle East scenario is not exactly insightful. Have women's rights improved? Of course. Are they on equal ground as men? Not even close.
In what way are women's rights not on par with men, exactly?

The whole "gender pay gap" theory has been completely debunked. Yes, women earn less than men, on average. Liberals claim that alone, is proof of sexism. But the fact is, women work less hours than men, and are much more likely to put their career on hold to spoend time at home, than men. When you normalize for that, the pay gap disappears, it does not exist. Women who work tons of hours make the same as men who work tons of hours. WOmen who leave at 3:00 every day to meet the school bus, make the same as men who leave at 3:00 every day to meet the school bus. There is no pay gap when you remove the hours worked discrepancy. It's as fair as it can be. Those who outwork their peers, regardless of gender, will get ahead.

Now, in Hollywood, there probably are a lot less opportunities for women, because like it or not, that industry is based on looks, and women get pushed out faster than men. If women don't like that, no one is forcing them to work in Hollywood. If you're a woman, and you want to make a living in the movies, you know what you are signing up for.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:53 AM   #11
Nebe

What I am seeing in he art world is women only art shows.. No men allowed. Think about that for a moment. Equality?
Old 02-24-2015, 10:15 AM   #12
Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post

Did not watch Oscars....got sections of oscars from my MSN home web page and still can't believe they still writing about it 2 days later...show me real news....

Old 02-24-2015, 10:40 AM   #13
Sea Dangles

Quote:
In what way are women's rights not on par with men, exactly?

The whole "gender pay gap" theory has been completely debunked. Yes, women earn less than men, on average. Liberals claim that alone, is proof of sexism. But the fact is, women work less hours than men, and are much more likely to put their career on hold to spoend time at home, than men. When you normalize for that, the pay gap disappears, it does not exist. Women who work tons of hours make the same as men who work tons of hours. WOmen who leave at 3:00 every day to meet the school bus, make the same as men who leave at 3:00 every day to meet the school bus. There is no pay gap when you remove the hours worked discrepancy. It's as fair as it can be. Those who outwork their peers, regardless of gender, will get ahead.

Now, in Hollywood, there probably are a lot less opportunities for women, because like it or not, that industry is based on looks, and women get pushed out faster than men. If women don't like that, no one is forcing them to work in Hollywood. If you're a woman, and you want to make a living in the movies, you know what you are signing up for.
As usual Jim your opinion is valuable but it is also a load of crap

The myth you speak of is more reality than your research unveiled. Unless of course you live in Denmark where women earn 2% more than men in equal circumstances. Next in line come Norway and Singapore where women are compensated at an 80% rate in the wage comparison. The U.S. however is ranked 65th in the world with a generous 66% rate that just climbed 1% in 2014. These numbers were provided by CNN but I hope you get the idea that you could not be more wrong,
As usual.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 02-24-2015, 11:13 AM   #14
redlite

I dont know. I think "womens equality" is strictly industry dependent
For 10 yrs i have been trying to get into drug repping
5 times now they have taken it from hundreds of applicants down to 2 of us for a $100k+ job. Me and a hot ass dumb as nails cheerleader chick. Everytime guess who they picked
I cant overcome the boob factor
Old 02-24-2015, 11:40 AM   #15
Slipknot
Super Moderator

redlite, when you get to the last interview, pay someone to do your makeup and crossdress fake boobs and all showing off your smoking good looks and act the part.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:41 AM   #16
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

you should have worn your wetsuit redlite! totally agree with you though, I work in higher education and I always feel I am disadvantaged as a white male as they are always looking for more diversity
Old 02-24-2015, 12:20 PM   #17
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockport24 View Post
I work in higher education and I always feel I am disadvantaged as a white male as they are always looking for more diversity
But the fact is that when you submited your resume you were much more likely to get an interview than if your name was Kareem or Dawanda.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:25 PM   #18
PaulS

or even a free bus ride to the interview if your forgot your wallet.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/24/op...e-is-real.html
Old 02-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #19
PaulS

that was "Dawanda" as in she is da wanda of my eye.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:30 PM   #20
spence

Funny, you guys are spending so much time faking outrage over the event you appear to have missed the fact that the VA Crisis Call Center documentary won an Oscar.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:36 PM   #21
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Funny, you guys are spending so much time faking outrage over the event you appear to have missed the fact that the VA Crisis Call Center documentary won an Oscar.
And then the new VA director went and put his feet into his mouth past his ankles....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 02-24-2015, 01:41 PM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:
As usual Jim your opinion is valuable but it is also a load of crap

The myth you speak of is more reality than your research unveiled. Unless of course you live in Denmark where women earn 2% more than men in equal circumstances. Next in line come Norway and Singapore where women are compensated at an 80% rate in the wage comparison. The U.S. however is ranked 65th in the world with a generous 66% rate that just climbed 1% in 2014. These numbers were provided by CNN but I hope you get the idea that you could not be more wrong,
As usual.
But it's not that simple. If all thye female accountants at the big six firms earn 20% less than men (making that up), that does not mean you can say "women get paid less than men". In this country, at this time in our history, men tend to be more focused onm their careers than women. I have never seen a study that, when normalized for that difference, showed a meaningful discrepancy.

You can't just compare average salaries for men vs women, you need to "normalize" (math term) to make the comparison apples to apples.

If you had taken the time to post any of your surveys, I would guess that they are simply comparing average pay for men and women. Here are surveys which show that, when you remove the justifiable differences in pay that result when one gender takes on a large share of household responsibilities, the "gender pay gap" disappears. Don't take my word for it, here are but a few...

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...ge-gap/276367/ - "It might be the most famous statistic about female workers in the United States: Women earn "only 72 percent as much as their male counterparts. It's also famously false."

http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ba766 - "Comparing single childless women to single childless men, ages 35-43, the wage gap not only disappears, but instead becomes a wage premium. Nevertheless, Americans are likely to hear much about the much-exaggerated wage gap during the election campaign."

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...83752909957472 - "Once education, marital status and occupations are considered, the 'gender wage gap' all but disappears."

http://www.slate.com/articles/double...ery_man_s.html - "The official Bureau of Labor Department statistics show that the median earnings of full-time female workers is 77 percent of the median earnings of full-time male workers. But that is very different than “77 cents on the dollar for doing the same work as men.” "“Full time” officially means 35 hours, but men work more hours than women. That’s the first problem: We could be comparing men working 40 hours to women working 35."

"you could not be more wrong,"

It's not "me". You are saying that Obama's Bureau Of Labor Statistics, in addition to the Wall Street Journal and the National Association of Certified Public Accountants, are all wrong.

Let's see that CNN study? If it simply shows that all women who work "full time" earn 77% of what "men who work full time" earn, that is bullsh*t. If yuo can show me that women who work the same number of hours at the same job as men, still earn substantially less, then you have a point.

If there's a gender pay gap, I want to fix it. But the simple fact that "women get paid less than men" doesn't even come close to establishing that theory. Sorry if that spits in th eface of yoru agenda. I'm not reacting to ideology here, just the facts I posted (and I could have posted dozens more).

Try making that wrong.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:42 PM   #23
Fly Rod

Spence...what did that have to do with equal pay and voting?

Old 02-24-2015, 01:44 PM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
redlite, when you get to the last interview, pay someone to do your makeup and crossdress fake boobs and all showing off your smoking good looks and act the part.
Follow Bruce Jenner's path. Problem solved, just change your name to "pinklite".
Old 02-24-2015, 03:47 PM   #25
Sea Dangles

Quote:

It's not "me". You are saying that Obama's Bureau Of Labor Statistics, in addition to the Wall Street Journal and the National Association of Certified Public Accountants, are all wrong.

Let's see that CNN study? If it simply shows that all women who work "full time" earn 77% of what "men who work full time" earn, that is bullsh*t. If yuo can show me that women who work the same number of hours at the same job as men, still earn substantially less, then you have a point.

If there's a gender pay gap, I want to fix it. But the simple fact that "women get paid less than men" doesn't even come close to establishing that theory. Sorry if that spits in th eface of yoru agenda. I'm not reacting to ideology here, just the facts I posted (and I could have posted dozens more).

Try making that wrong.
The editorials you posted are meaningless and the fact you cite an Obama hack disgusts me. This is not a discussion about men earning more than women, it is more focused on equal pay for equal jobs. Show me one article that shows that to be the case for employees who have higher education in this country and 10 will come contradicting that. My better half has been an accountant for 25 years and a childhood friend is a former president of NCPA.

Please decide to keep your dignity and never use an Obama crony as leverage again.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 02-24-2015, 04:05 PM   #26
detbuch

Quote:
The editorials you posted are meaningless and the fact you cite an Obama hack disgusts me. This is not a discussion about men earning more than women, it is more focused on equal pay for equal jobs. Show me one article that shows that to be the case for employees who have higher education in this country and 10 will come contradicting that. My better half has been an accountant for 25 years and a childhood friend is a former president of NCPA.

Please decide to keep your dignity and never use an Obama crony as leverage again.
I don't think the equal pay thing is truly a question of "rights." There is no natural or "unalienable" right to equal pay. And the legalized, government mandated equal pay thing was settled by the Equal Pay Act of 1963. If a women is discriminated by lesser pay for equal work in equal job with equal skill, she can sue and win. And she could be granted a sizable sum, which most employers probably would not want to be liable for.

I am not sure what government can do in terms of rights, if women don't sue, except to create a separate agency with thousands of marshals to constantly monitor business in the country.

Where problems exist, they might be more a cultural issue than a rights issue.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:27 PM   #27
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
Spence...what did that have to do with equal pay and voting?
Nothing, I'm just cross threading.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:32 PM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:

"it is more focused on equal pay for equal jobs"

Correct, that should be the focus. And in what should be good news for you, when we look at pay by gender through that lens, there is no pay gap in any study I have ever seen. When you compare comparable groups of men and women (same occupation, working same hours, with same experience), pay between men and women isn't menaingfully different.

If you could post a study showing that women earn less than comparable men, that would be helpful.

"My better half has been an accountant for 25 years and a childhood friend is a former president of NCPA." Then presumably you think they are reputable organizations, and you might give credibility to their conclusion that there is no gender pay gap in this country, when you look at comparable groups of men and women.

Yes, men who are hedge fund managers will earn more than women who work at a daycare center. But the national association of cpa's says that when you look at comparable occupations and experience, men and women earn virtually the same pay.

Your two posts seem contradictory, I now can't tell if you htink there is a pay gap or not. Allow me to settle it for you. There isn't.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:34 PM   #29
Jim in CT

Quote:

"it is more focused on equal pay for equal jobs"

Correct, that should be the focus. And in what should be good news for you, when we look at pay by gender through that lens, there is no pay gap in any study I have ever seen. When you compare comparable groups of men and women (same occupation, working same hours, with same experience), pay between men and women isn't menaingfully different.

If you could post a study showing that women earn less than comparable men, that would be helpful.

"My better half has been an accountant for 25 years and a childhood friend is a former president of NCPA." Then presumably you think they are reputable organizations, and you might give credibility to their conclusion that there is no gender pay gap in this country, when you look at comparable groups of men and women.

Yes, men who are hedge fund managers will earn more than women who work at a daycare center. But the national association of cpa's says that when you look at comparable occupations and experience, men and women earn virtually the same pay.

Your two posts seem contradictory, I now can't tell if you think there is a pay gap or not. Allow me to settle it for you. There isn't. Not according to the dozens of studies I could post. I posted data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics to show that even Obama's own data suggests there is no pay gap, so maybe he should get off that soap box and concern himself with problems that, you know, actually exist.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:41 PM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
I don't think the equal pay thing is truly a question of "rights." There is no natural or "unalienable" right to equal pay. And the legalized, government mandated equal pay thing was settled by the Equal Pay Act of 1963. If a women is discriminated by lesser pay for equal work in equal job with equal skill, she can sue and win. And she could be granted a sizable sum, which most employers probably would not want to be liable for.

I am not sure what government can do in terms of rights, if women don't sue, except to create a separate agency with thousands of marshals to constantly monitor business in the country.

Where problems exist, they might be more a cultural issue than a rights issue.
The Constitution says it's illegal to discriminate based on gender. If that pay gap actually existed, women could sue, and would win. The fact that Gloria Allred isn't involved exclusively in those lawsuits, tells me that it's not a real issue.

From what I have seen, the only statistic that shows women earn less tahn men, is if you compare all women to all men, which ignores the fact that men work more hours and are far more likely to pursue the most lucrative professions. Those professions don't have gender-based barriers to entry. It just reflects free choices that women in our clulture make.

Sea Dangles, you say you are a pro-choice Republican. If women earn less solely because they freely choose to work less hours, or because they freely choose less lucrative professions, I'd think you'd be celebrating their ability to make the choices that are the right fit for them.

Here's another article, written by a woman, who presumably would not be happy if there was an actual gender pay gap...this is a good read, takes 2 minutes...

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...than-men.html#