Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-20-2009, 03:32 PM   #31
striperman36
Old Guy

Where's the rod rack?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cadillac_One.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	31145  
Old 01-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #32
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
I'd just say to myself that he's a human being. I wasn't raised to notice skin color on people.
But you've thought enough about it to say that He's the very definition of "African American".
Old 01-20-2009, 03:51 PM   #33
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
That is the best response ever in the political forums!
in more ways than 1.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:57 PM   #34
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.orlando View Post
Their followers actually had jobs to be at.
The closet politico speaks.....

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Where all the fish is blind
Old 01-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #35
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

not everyone is sharing the optomism...

The dawn of the Obama presidency could not shake Wall Street from its dejection over the banking industry's growing problems. After hearing the new president's inaugural address Tuesday, investors went back to unloading stocks, sending the major indexes down more than 3 percent and the Dow Jones industrials down more than 300 points. Traders on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange paused at times to watch the inauguration ceremony and Obama's remarks, but the transition of power didn't erase investors' intensifying concerns about the struggling economy.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 01-20-2009, 04:23 PM   #36
Raven

Thumbs up

yugo Bush
Old 01-21-2009, 07:54 AM   #37
PaulS

Quote:
not everyone is sharing the optomism...

The dawn of the Obama presidency could not shake Wall Street from its dejection over the banking industry's growing problems. After hearing the new president's inaugural address Tuesday, investors went back to unloading stocks, sending the major indexes down more than 3 percent and the Dow Jones industrials down more than 300 points. Traders on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange paused at times to watch the inauguration ceremony and Obama's remarks, but the transition of power didn't erase investors' intensifying concerns about the struggling economy.
Statements like yours just give you less credibility.

Stocks were down based on concern about banks/earnings. In fact, the last part of the sentence seemed to indicate that investors were in fact optomistic but were concerned about the struggling economy Obama is stuck with.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:47 AM   #38
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Statements like yours just give you less credibility.

Stocks were down based on concern about banks/earnings. In fact, the last part of the sentence seemed to indicate that investors were in fact optomistic but were concerned about the struggling economy Obama is stuck with.
uhhhh, ok Paul, does this help my credibility,,,,,I clearly said some were less optomistic, is that not a fact?

It was the Dow's worst Inauguration Day performance in its 113-year history. Stocks fell to their lowest level in two months as fears about the banking system overpowered President Barack Obama's speech about hope

Old 01-21-2009, 09:10 AM   #39
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Jimmy, I don't know you from Adam, except what I read here. And while I try to respect another's opinions, I have to wonder if you just shoot from the hip on all things in your life...

Yesterday's performance in the Dow Jones Industrials Average was not a gauge of what the incoming administration means. It was a direct result of a major Boston bank, State Street, revealing that they had not marked to market many of their portfolios, and would be reducing net assets by billions.... (criminal in my eyes, but who cares what I think) This revelation by what was previously seen as a safe bank, sent new shock waves through the bailout ridden banking industry. State Street got cut in half. Other banks were sold off. That was the simple big story of the investment day. The markets don't care where they end up in the history of inauguration days, nor do they take time off for the pomp and celebration. To say that yesterday's market performance had anything to do with the change in Washington, or the message Obama is sending, is truly an uneducated, ill-informed statement.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:15 AM   #40
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

my point was that - not everyone shares the optimism. It was the FIRST TIME IN 113 YEARS THAT THE DOW WENT DOWN ON INNAUGRATION DAY.

It made headelines to that FACT. I shared the fact. I made ZERO commentary other than Obamas speech did not change the markets. It was noted MANY, MANY times that when Bush spoke, the markets went down, I guess I can't say that about Obama......

so NF, please tell me I voiced "my opinion"? You are INCORRECTLY interpeting my posts that Obama made the markets go down. that was not my point at all.

Last edited by RIJIMMY; 01-21-2009 at 09:21 AM..

Old 01-21-2009, 09:38 AM   #41
Nebe

this just proves how much damage was done under bush's watch..
Old 01-21-2009, 09:38 AM   #42
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
my point was that - not everyone shares the optimism. It was the FIRST TIME IN 113 YEARS THAT THE DOW WENT DOWN ON INNAUGRATION DAY.

It made headelines to that FACT.
C'mon now...The Liberal Media wouldn't report that kind of negative stuff

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #43
Raven

Exclamation i concur Ross

Jimmy i have to say it...

your to quick on the draw

to rain on the parade ...
~

spread some sunshine brother...

see the glass half full sometimes

no offense meant...just an observation...

so..........don't worry - be happy

today's the first day that BUSH is NOT in office

so whistle up a tune ....and rejoice...

Me and Nebe are...

it's like Fred Astaire dancing in the rain kind of happiness

and PS. think only of fishing
Old 01-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #44
Nebe

Yep Raven. I am whistling Dixie..
Old 01-21-2009, 09:52 AM   #45
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Sorry, I am someone that lets reality get in the way of things.
Hope! Change!

Old 01-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #46
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I can see now what I'm dealing with here.... So headlines equal fact?.... And you really believe that Bush remarks actually had as much effect on the markets as the talking heads would have you believe?... Misinformation disseminated by the media, amongst others, has both made and lost billions.

I should have known better than to pass through the political forum... I just don't believe in posts to restate what I meant to say in a previous post, nor hide behind edited posts. While not saying that is what RIJ is doing, it is clear to me what the tone of his initial, unedited posts were meant to be. No upside to be gained through these type of "discussions", as they mostly evolve into an exchange of insults. I'm outta here.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:24 AM   #47
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
\No upside to be gained through these type of "discussions", as they mostly evolve into an exchange of insults. I'm outta here.
but.. but... this thread is called 'Glorious day!'.. embrace the glorioiusness!!
Old 01-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #48
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I can see now what I'm dealing with here.... So headlines equal fact?.... And you really believe that Bush remarks actually had as much effect on the markets as the talking heads would have you believe?... Misinformation disseminated by the media, amongst others, has both made and lost billions.

I should have known better than to pass through the political forum... I just don't believe in posts to restate what I meant to say in a previous post, nor hide behind edited posts. While not saying that is what RIJ is doing, it is clear to me what the tone of his initial, unedited posts were meant to be. No upside to be gained through these type of "discussions", as they mostly evolve into an exchange of insults. I'm outta here.
huh? I never edited my original post. Look at the proof before you make a lame accusation, I edited my post before ANYONE responded as I added more content. When you're able to have an intelligent discussion, please come back. And BTW, yes politicians comments DO directly affect the market.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:47 AM   #49
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

hide behind edited posts, now Im pissed. Actually, I did not edit TWO posts, I only edited the response to YOU as I added more content. I dont hide behind %$%$%$%$.
F-IN FACT, FACT, FACT THE FIRST TIME EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR the markets were DOWN on innaugureation !

Old 01-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #50
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

hee hee! Its funny when it happens to Bush

Even as Bush spoke to a friendly audience in Birmingham, Ala., the Dow Jones industrial average was spiraling downward to 1997 lows. Bargain hunting in the afternoon prompted a rebound that cut losses on the Dow Jones industrials and sent the Nasdaq up slightly for the day.

Nevertheless, Congressional Democrats circulated e-mails showing photos of Bush delivering his speech on TV while graphics on the screen depicted the market falling. Jim Jordan, executive director of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, said, "His sermons and his policy proposals have pleased no one and frightened almost everyone."

Old 01-21-2009, 10:57 AM   #51
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

little more

Take President Bush's corporate responsibility speech on July 9, with which his advisors said he "hoped to hearten traders and investors with harsh plans to crack down on corporate fraud -- and perhaps spark a rally," according to the Washington Post. When the market declined later that day and the next, it was therefore widely framed as a reaction to -- or a verdict on -- the speech. Rep. Ed Markey, D-Mass., went so far as to say on CNN's "Crossfire" that if Bush had asked for the resignation of Securities and Exchange Commission Chairman Harvey Pitt, "the market would have gone up instead of down. As the marketplace looked today at the reforms that were being proposed by the president, they didn't see enough teeth in them, and as a result, the market plummeted again."

Old 01-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #52
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Stock market drops 107 points during Bush’s speech on the economy.»
Today, President Bush gave an eight-minute speech on the economy, which was meant to reassure the markets. “This is an anxious time,” said Bush. “But the American people can be confident in our economic future.” However, ABC News notes that during those eight minutes, the Dow Jones dropped another 107 points. The Dow was down 78.70 at the beginning of Bush’s address, but at 185.66 by the end.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:03 AM   #53
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

so my friends, in a thread that was titled - glorious day
I posted that not all share the optimism and a quote from the Wall Street Journal that for the first time in 113 years, the market was not up on innauguration day. I did not blame the decline on Obama, however, it would appear his message of hope did not overshadow the current states in the market. Historically Bush has taken heat over making the markets go down and I posted some backup. Take it as you will. NF - I dont like you questioning my integrity or misreading my posts and holding me to what YOU think I said. the proof is above.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:03 AM   #54
Raven

Talking yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
this just proves how much damage was done under bush's watch..
there's no hands on his watch now because he's out of time

Old 01-21-2009, 11:27 AM   #55
buckman

Not one arrest with over 1.5 mil. people. That talks volumes of the spirit of this event.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #56
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Not one arrest with over 1.5 mil. people. That talks volumes of the spirit of this event.
so true
Old 01-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #57
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post

Wow, I thought it would be virtually impossible to have that many people in one place without someone getting arrested. Great job by everyone involved. It would have been a shame if anything happened to shed a negative light on the event.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 01-21-2009, 11:37 AM   #58
buckman

We won't discuss the large group booing and jeering President Bush. A damper on an otherwise nice event. Nebe, I thought I saw you on TV.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:58 AM   #59
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I guess Im a cynical bastard and there is no hope for me. How come when there is high security for Bush's innaugurauion, its a " lock down on Washington" and for Obama there is no mention other than the price tag?

http://www.democracynow.org/2005/1/2...d_security_for

If you havent figured it out by now, this is my main gripe in the political fourms, this double standard for liberals. Why I am so negative to Obama is becasue the truth will be shadowed by the press.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:04 PM   #60
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
But you've thought enough about it to say that He's the very definition of "African American".
It didn't really take any thought because I know that he is both African and America, hence "African American". I was commenting on things I read, not labeling him as anything other than the President of the United States. But, if people insist on labeling him, they should get it right.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio