Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-14-2010, 11:12 AM   #661
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I think they speak of clear coat
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #662
Jigman

Systems 3 clear coat is the one I've used.

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #663
Pete F.
Canceled

More than you ever want to know about epoxy coatings
Everyone's Guide to Instant Epoxy Resin Paint Coating Expertise

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:03 PM   #664
chrisjoe13

"WOW you're being hard on yourself"

You're right, thats why I leave all the blemishes (no nail polish or sharpie repairs). I want to see the mistakes again and again so as not to forget and repeat the same mistakes. you would think I have two hooves instead of hands.

Last edited by chrisjoe13; 02-14-2010 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: clarity and spelling
chrisjoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #665
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigman View Post

Oh, and PM, its "Fixter"

Jigman
LOL, that is what happens when I try to type more than 5 words besides i'm a machinist and fixtures are always on my mind.

BTW nice job in those plugs Andrewl

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #666
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

yes eddo clear coat. Mirror coat is nice and easier to apply but chips real easy,but you know that.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #667
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagger View Post
When You guys (especialy Backbeach) say system 3 ,, Are you talking about mirror coat ,,clear coat ,,? assume not sb112 ?
Clear coat....just to sumrise I've had good success with it so far....it makes my crappy paint jobs, mismatched grommets, and warped tail loops look much better.
I'm going out to test swim a bunch of metal lips right now and hopefully they don't come in like buzz baits....they look good though Out of about 50 or so plugs I'll have maybe 15-20 worthy of gifting out if I'm lucky.....

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Where all the fish is blind
Back Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:05 PM   #668
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjoe13 View Post
Mistakes I made this time:
-during epoxy sealing, dropped a plug, spilling thinned epoxy all over
-countersunk belly grommets a little too deep
-dropped (more than one) on cement floor after paint but before clear coat
-scratched tail end of a few while doing tailwraps
-dropped one while 'flipping', had 6" dust bunnies on it when I picked it up
-some tail wraps look good, others look like I've never seen one before
-painted over some scales by mistake (there is a one side scaled plug)
-and of course the mandatory abundance of dust and bubbles!

Bah.........you have a ways to go yet.

You still need to glue the cards into the lip slot (plastic works best), forget to mix in the hardner when you coat a dozen plugs, get so much epoxy in the hook hole you can't get the turning rod out, have the spinner/shaft connection come loose so it all sags instead, and set the epoxy on fire while flaming bubbles.

Then there is the split your plug while wiring bit, split your plug while forcing in the belly weight bit, drill your hook hole through the darter slope trick, drill your hook holes on the wrong side of the plug, epoxy in the wrong lip, sand the diving slope on the wrong side, drill the wrong size eye holes, drill the wrong size grommet holes, and cut the lip slot too thick a kerf.

Then for paint there is the spray your plug with air brush cleaner thing, forget to clean between colors thing (love those pink bellies), bubble off the paint with the heat gun thing, and my very favorite the GIANT eye spot blot trick.

Ugh.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #669
Backbeach Jake

My first batch that I hydroed I drilled the marked side of the plug for hooks and weights. Put the heavy side up...they did the backstroke.
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #670
chrisjoe13

"Bah.........you have a ways to go yet. "

good stuff, hilarious. Forgot to mention that I did drill (2) on the wrong side.
chrisjoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #671
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

ok ... I wouldn't recommend "mirror coat" to anyone .. east to use but way to many popped finishes on plugs ..Looks good at first ,, later it pops right off the plug .. SUCs

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:56 AM   #672
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjoe13 View Post
Mistakes I made this time:
-during epoxy sealing, dropped a plug, spilling thinned epoxy all over
-countersunk belly grommets a little too deep
-dropped (more than one) on cement floor after paint but before clear coat
-scratched tail end of a few while doing tailwraps
-dropped one while 'flipping', had 6" dust bunnies on it when I picked it up
-some tail wraps look good, others look like I've never seen one before
-painted over some scales by mistake (there is a one side scaled plug)
-and of course the mandatory abundance of dust and bubbles!
I've done all the above twice and have only been building for two months.

Yesterday, after rendering some "professional" advice with system 3, I returned to my basement late afternoon and realized the link holding my last two plugs on a chain of five plugs had broken, thus the last two plugs stopped spinning before they hardened....looks like the surface of the moon....

Last edited by Back Beach; 02-15-2010 at 04:35 PM..

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Old 02-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #673
wrikerjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Bah.........you have a ways to go yet.

You still need to glue the cards into the lip slot (plastic works best), forget to mix in the hardner when you coat a dozen plugs, get so much epoxy in the hook hole you can't get the turning rod out, have the spinner/shaft connection come loose so it all sags instead, and set the epoxy on fire while flaming bubbles.

Then there is the split your plug while wiring bit, split your plug while forcing in the belly weight bit, drill your hook hole through the darter slope trick, drill your hook holes on the wrong side of the plug, epoxy in the wrong lip, sand the diving slope on the wrong side, drill the wrong size eye holes, drill the wrong size grommet holes, and cut the lip slot too thick a kerf.

Then for paint there is the spray your plug with air brush cleaner thing, forget to clean between colors thing (love those pink bellies), bubble off the paint with the heat gun thing, and my very favorite the GIANT eye spot blot trick.

Ugh.
WOW - Thought it was only me. Another of my favorite is distilled water freexing whil painting plugs so you can't clean the airbrush and drop the airbrush reaking the needle and other parts of it, purchase new ones wait a week get them install and before you even spray it drop it again and have your wife just laugh (that was my weekend).
wrikerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #674
wrikerjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Beach View Post
I've done all the above twice and have only been building for two months.

Yesterday, after rendering some "professional" advice with system 3, I returned to my basement late afternoon and realized the link holding my last two plugs on a chain of five plugs had broken, thus the last two plugs stopped spinning before they hardened....looks like the surface of the moon....
I have had my wife's cat attack the spinner and knock all the plugs off and have them glued to the hardwood floor as well as epoxy harden all over the cat. My friend has one of the plugs that was salvaged and we call it the cat raoe plugs, its got enough cat hair on it to be a cross between a danny and a bucktail. Yes its taken fish.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:03 PM   #675
eastendlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrikerjr View Post
I have had my wife's cat attack the spinner and knock all the plugs off and have them glued to the hardwood floor as well as epoxy harden all over the cat. My friend has one of the plugs that was salvaged and we call it the cat raoe plugs, its got enough cat hair on it to be a cross between a danny and a bucktail. Yes its taken fish.
Fish that plug when the bluefish are around i bet it has nine lives.

Originally Posted by Flaptail
"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."
eastendlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:58 AM   #676
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrikerjr View Post
Lightning has struck twice at the Back Beach residence....my linkage broke again last night creating a 3 for 5 outing once again.

In baseball this would be a great night at the plate, but this is plugbuilding and constitutes another strikeout....

In honor of my half dozen or so epoxy mishaps, I'm introducing a new line of fishing plugs which will be called the "Warthog" series.....pics to follow.

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Old 02-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #677
wrikerjr

Quote:
Lightning has struck twice at the Back Beach residence....my linkage broke again last night creating a 3 for 5 outing once again.

In baseball this would be a great night at the plate, but this is plugbuilding and constitutes another strikeout....

In honor of my half dozen or so epoxy mishaps, I'm introducing a new line of fishing plugs which will be called the "Warthog" series.....pics to follow.
Back beach, if you are having trouble spinning the plugs maybe try with the flipping method.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:51 PM   #678
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:

Forget the epoxy unless you are selling your plugs and need to attract fishermen. 2 coats of clear coat work fine and the plugs hold up just as well. Ask Scottie. he just clear coats and he does 30K plugs a year.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:15 PM   #679
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
Forget the epoxy unless you are selling your plugs and need to attract fishermen. 2 coats of clear coat work fine and the plugs hold up just as well. Ask Scottie. he just clear coats and he does 30K plugs a year.
Yep, the epoxy is just one more thing to piss off and confuse the masses, no doubt... and I'm one of them.

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Old 02-21-2010, 06:53 AM   #680
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Morning Guys!

Great time yesterday and very inspiring! Amazing work there for sure! Can't think of a better way to spend the day! It went by so fast! George I was mesmerized by your plugs......nicest darters I have ever seen!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #681
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Great time yesterday and very inspiring! Amazing work there for sure! Can't think of a better way to spend the day! It went by so fast! George I was mesmerized by your plugs......nicest darters I have ever seen!

That's because you haven't seen Paul's yet. Once he finishes one they'll have to retire the bar. I think he is having too much fun making the jigs.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:18 AM   #682
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Ya you may be right George but we know yours catch fish, it will be a while before any of Paul's get attached to a fishing line and cast into fishy waters

Now that the fest is over, I'll have to get together with you I want to see your mad scientist laboratory.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:19 AM   #683
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Hey guys .. Plugfest really does it for me .. All the other shows pale in comparison .. I always leave there dizzy ..

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 02-21-2010, 08:21 AM   #684
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Still waiting for my invitation to play in Paul's sandbox! He did not bring any of his stuff yesterday!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:23 AM   #685
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagger View Post
Hey guys .. Plugfest really does it for me .. All the other shows pale in comparison .. I always leave there dizzy ..
Eddy, I think that just comes from standing next to Lu too long.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:24 AM   #686
Slipknot
Super Moderator

come down here today Larry and we'll tagteam him after church
Old 02-21-2010, 08:26 AM   #687
Backbeach Jake

Thumbs up My Head hurts..

I think that I have a plug hangover. So much information in such a short time.....I have to thank and bless you all for that day, the plugs, and information. A load of sticking points in my technique were cleared up and corrected yesterday.Pesky litttle things. Thankyou ! And the work..artists in the true sense.
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:39 AM   #688
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Eddy, I think that just comes from standing next to Lu too long.
Yea ... We split up during the calling of the raffle .. We both thought the other was bad luck at the same time ..

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 02-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #689
pbadad

Great time. picked up an epoxy tip from Mike. Warm up in micro b/4 mixing and submercing brush to the bottom of epoxy to remove air bubbles form brush. I counld'nt believe what I saw the amount of bubbles coming out of the brush. Now I see where the majority of bubbles came from. All the while I thought the majority of small bumps were dust! Did some epoxy this morning . Microwaved 6 cc's 10 seconds. Do not mix until you microwave it. Mixed for 3 minutes. Flowed like water. I say 15 minutes of pot life time. I had some left. reheat lightly w/heat gun. finished no problem.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:53 PM   #690
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadad View Post
Great time. picked up an epoxy tip from Mike. Warm up in micro b/4 mixing and submercing brush to the bottom of epoxy to remove air bubbles form brush. I counld'nt believe what I saw the amount of bubbles coming out of the brush. Now I see where the majority of bubbles came from. All the while I thought the majority of small bumps were dust! Did some epoxy this morning . Microwaved 6 cc's 10 seconds. Do not mix until you microwave it. Mixed for 3 minutes. Flowed like water. I say 15 minutes of pot life time. I had some left. reheat lightly w/heat gun. finished no problem.

Watch out heating mixed epoxy. It gives off heat as the two parts react and adding heat makes this reaction much faster and hotter. I tried micro-waving some once and it almost started a fire in the kitchen.