Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #1
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Jim, I don't have a problem with photo Ids and have said so in the past. However, everyone knows it is to limit minority voting. I have a problem with the limiting of voting hours. It clearly is intended to limit minority voting. The reason the polls in BPort were allowed to stay open late is bc they ran out of ballots. I believe that the law (atleast in CT) allows people to vote if they were in line when the booths close.

There is no harm in extending the # of days people can vote.
"However, everyone knows it is to limit minority voting."

But why? Why is it harder, or more burdensome, for minorities to get a photo id? Is there a faster, "whites only" line at the Dept Of Motor Vehicles that nobody told me about?

"The reason the polls in BPort were allowed to stay open late is bc they ran out of ballots"

Ah. If the polls ran out of ballots, let's say, and 50 people were in line, and they got 50 more ballots for those people, I would have no issue with that. That's not what happened. What happened was, while they were waiting for more ballots, the political operatives in Bridgeport sounded the alarm that the race was going to be close, and they rounded up more voters to go get in line to vote late. Lots of people were able to vote who were not in line when the polls closed. A topic for another day, however...
Old 04-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #2
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"However, everyone knows it is to limit minority voting."

But why? Why is it harder, or more burdensome, for minorities to get a photo id? Is there a faster, "whites only" line at the Dept Of Motor Vehicles that nobody told me about?

My ID is my drivers license and passport. If i didn't drive, I don't know what I would use. Many minorities live in cities and don't drive so I would suspect that has something to do with it. Why the constant big push for photo ids if there is no fraud?

"The reason the polls in BPort were allowed to stay open late is bc they ran out of ballots"

Ah. If the polls ran out of ballots, let's say, and 50 people were in line, and they got 50 more ballots for those people, I would have no issue with that. That's not what happened. What happened was, while they were waiting for more ballots, the political operatives in Bridgeport sounded the alarm that the race was going to be close, and they rounded up more voters to go get in line to vote late. Lots of people were able to vote who were not in line when the polls closed. A topic for another day, however...Do you have a link to that b/c I don't remember there being claims people were allowed to get in line after polling hours
What is the harm in extending the voting hours?
Old 04-14-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
What is the harm in extending the voting hours?
Paul, lots of seniors don't drive, lots of people in big cities don't drive. In these cases, in every state, non-drivers can get a photo id from the government, something which is not a drivers license. These id's are available to people of all colors. So again, why is this more burdensome for non-whites?

Aren't polls open from 6 AM until 8 PM? Again, how does that make it harder for minorities to vote?

I have no issue with extending hours, but it should be limited to one day.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
Pete F.
Canceled

You big city boys have no problem extending voting hours. In a small town like mine where mostly volunteers work at the polling place, they are pretty tired at the end of the day. Then we count the votes by hand, and we don't have problems with chads. After you count votes you'll think twice about writing your buddy or enemy in for some position.��

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Paul, lots of seniors don't drive, lots of people in big cities don't drive. In these cases, in every state, non-drivers can get a photo id from the government, something which is not a drivers license. These id's are available to people of all colors. So again, why is this more burdensome for non-whites?

Aren't polls open from 6 AM until 8 PM? Again, how does that make it harder for minorities to vote?

I have no issue with extending hours, but it should be limited to one day.

Bingo. The reason for ID is to prove you are a US citizen who are the only people who can legally vote. In addition there are more modes of transportation in the city than in the suburbs to get an ID.
If a person really wants to vote, they can call either of the two parties and they
will be more than happy to get them to a place for ID.
If you are a civic minded citizen, you'll find a way to get voter ID yourself.
If you are not truly tuned into the issues and base your vote on an intelligent choice, the country is better off without your vote.

" Choose Life "