Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Muzik

Muzik Muzik Forums - by popular request...

Old 02-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
Ryan560

Unhappy The internet destroyed rocknroll

Kids got it so easy now adays. I used to drive all over just going to hole in the wall record stores to dig through crates to find hidden gems. Now you can just download a program and have access to almost anything ever recorded, wheres the fun in that. I'm not saying i'm old,I'm 28 but if you didn't want to be fed the garbage on the radio you still had to dig for it..
Don't get me wrong the internet is a good thing, but it has totally taken the fun out of alot of things.. Figured this would be as good a place as any to vent about that. Anyone agree
Ryan560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I would argue MTV - you shoulda seen it before that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan560 View Post

Kids got it so easy now adays. I used to drive all over just going to hole in the wall record stores to dig through crates to find hidden gems. Now you can just download a program and have access to almost anything ever recorded, wheres the fun in that. I'm not saying i'm old,I'm 28 but if you didn't want to be fed the garbage on the radio you still had to dig for it..
Don't get me wrong the internet is a good thing, but it has totally taken the fun out of alot of things.. Figured this would be as good a place as any to vent about that. Anyone agree

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
I would argue MTV - you shoulda seen it before that
x2
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
Raven

music and music storage devices have become somewhat of a drug...
and i find it disturbing how todays youth cannot listen to the sounds of Nature at times without wearing head phones and be satisfied with silence on occasion....

that being said....i want to emphasize that i do enjoy having music of any type and time period at my finger tips via the internet along with videos... its so cool... but, i don't get all hot and Bothered about the latest and greatest ipod or music device that's just out .....standing in long lines to get one just isn't my thing.

i generally wait til they work the bugs out of technology before i take the plunge.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
Backbeach Jake

It's all on the Internet, Youtube, Itunes, etc. MTV? For one bright moment in the 80s they were stellar and had promise. Then went whore with their dumbass, cheapass shows. MTV is an affront to the senses..

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I think it destryoed the fun of discobvering new music.

It definitely killed the record album. Remeber buying an album and finding a great tune or 2 they never played on the radio.....those days are gone

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
mosholu
Mosholu

I do not know where to begin. First, lps had a nice time slot of 20 minutes a side which is enough of a dose in one sitting for an artist. Remember how you had certain records where you never listened to one side. Also LP covers were an art themselves and it was fun to go through the liner notes. Now the type on CDs is so small I need a glass to read them. CDs are just too long! Bands feel compelled to add songs that are not quality just to fill up the time.
MTV and videos always bothered me because once you have seen the video it frames the song for you and whenever you hear that song again your mind goes back to the video.
I agree with Ryan that part of the fun was tracking the stuff down but on the other hand if you are a kid in podunk how great must it be to have all that great music available. Lastly I do think it is great to travel and have 160gb of music in your pocket.
mosholu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
Ryan560

All great points fellas. Kids just aren't getting the whole experience now. Digging around crates in a record store for hours, actually holding the album in your hands after finally finding what your looking for not to mention the artwork and liner notes. Growing up that's how I found out about new stuff, if I thought the band was great I'd look in the liner notes and see who they thanked or there influences where and buy there albums. Now you search a band on youtube and similar bands come up, it's all done for you...I'm still guilty of downloading some free obscure tracks once in awhile but it's not the same.
I agree MTV is just mindless nonsense now, they don't even play music hardly.
Ryan560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #9
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

On the other hand, Youtube is awesome to find obscure renditions of songs, especially live stuff

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #10
fishbones

I agree that the kids have it easy today, but I'm glad to have everything on the net with easy access. Now that I'm older and have responsibilities, I don't have time to go to Rockit Records in Saugus or Quincy Records and sift through rare or live bootleg CD's. I can find everything I could want and more on the net. I miss the days when I could spend an entire day looking for music in the old record stores, but I love the easy access of finding it all at home.

I also think there's a lot of great music being made now, but you have to look a bit to find it because of all the crap being thrown out there. I listen to satellite radio in the car and am exposed to tons of good stuff that I wouldn't find otherwise. To me, it's the equivalent of staying up late and listening to the college radio stations when I was a teen. It's just a lot easier now.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #11
zimmy

I think maybe it saved it... exposure was so limited before the internet. Bands have always wanted exposure. Making it easier for a band to get exposure (ie internet) is good for bands, good for people who want to hear bands. If the point is for people to have to work to find good music, then yes the internet is bad. If you want people to listen to music, then having immediate access to every show listing in the world, millions of hours of live shows to download, etc. then the internet is the best thing to happen to music since the invention of the Frying Pan.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #12
zimmy

oh yeah, you may not have an album liner anymore, but the art you get on a website like Toolband or many of the 1000's of others go way beyond holding a posed photo of Gene Simmons with a dozen models pretending to be members of the Kiss Army. You can still get vinyl anyway if you want it.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #13
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I like easy. I enjoy being able to find what I want without running all over creation to get it. The hunt doesn't mean that much to me anymore. I just want easy of use and availability and that is what the interblab allows. You can still hunt on line to find music just get to do it from an arm chair. Just my 2 cents.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #14
Sea Dangles

I remember going to Taurus Records in Mattapan to peruse obscure reggae albums.They even had chronic available for those who chose to partake.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote