Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-11-2020, 08:40 AM   #1
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Yep, here’s your Antifa...

11:06 pm, Jun. 10, 2020
CHAZ protesters spend the night organizing a concert and movie night

Capitol Hill protesters — or denizens of the new "Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone" — spent another night by the Seattle Police Department's East Precinct listening to speakers, sharing food, dancing and creating colorful street art.

A small concert popped up at one intersection during the night, featuring funk/hip-hop band Marshall Law, a group based in Seattle. A cardboard sign was propped up in front of the band's makeshift stage. It read: "Defund the police, fund the community, free all protesters."

"What we're doing here — it's for a purpose," one of the band members said after the show, according to a livestream of the event.

After Marshall Law wrapped up their performance, it was time for another movie night.

On Tuesday night, the group rolled out a large projector and watched Ava DuVernay's "13th," a documentary that focuses on the racial injustice of the country's criminal justice system. On Wednesday, they screened "Paris is Burning," which features drag queens living in New York City during the mid-to-late 1980s.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
All fun and games until the utility bills come due, and they shut off water, gas, and electricity.

Then, no movies, no hot meals or showers, phones die, wifi dies. I'm sure they'll all still get along swimmingly though.

Mad Max movies always have a happy ending

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 06-11-2020, 08:59 AM   #2
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
All fun and games until the utility bills come due, and they shut off water, gas, and electricity.

Then, no movies, no hot meals or showers, phones die, wifi dies. I'm sure they'll all still get along swimmingly though.

look on the bright side...so far it's mainly woke sanctuary cities tearing themselves down...will be fun to see these mayors and governors begging for federal funds to help clean up the mess

you have to hear the back and forth between the Chicago mayor and the Alderman that was released....unbelievable...the news report cut out the part where the Alderman described what was going on in his neighborhoods

should be a class action lawsuit suing the City and it's officials for not protecting their citizens

Last edited by scottw; 06-11-2020 at 09:06 AM..
Old 06-11-2020, 09:42 AM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post

There's also business owners saying they are being extorted by civilians with guns, telling them they have to pay a fee to operate in the anarchy zone. And homeowners having to show id to enter their homes.

I'm actually just learning about this story. Hard to believe it's not an SNL skit. The lesson here, is that if a bunch of anarchist babies don't like something, if they hold their breath long enough, the state will surrender?

So can I just not pay my state income tax in CT, with no consequences?

"they shut off water, gas, and electricity"

I'm guessing the city will tell the utility companies to just leave the power on for free. Whatever these idiots want.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:48 AM   #4
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
There's also business owners saying they are being extorted by civilians with guns, telling them they have to pay a fee to operate in the anarchy zone. And homeowners having to show id to enter their homes.
Link!
Old 06-11-2020, 12:55 PM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Link!
https://www.foxnews.com/us/seattle-p...sses-extortion

Why do you ask for a link? If you saw video of this happening, you'd spin and deny anyway
Old 06-11-2020, 01:00 PM   #6
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/us/seattle-p...sses-extortion

Why do you ask for a link? If you saw video of this happening, you'd spin and deny anyway
shut up...this is just an attempt to smear the peaceful protesters who are donating their valuable time to re-decorate that area of the city...
Old 06-11-2020, 01:16 PM   #7
Pete F.
Canceled

What Faux news said
“We’ve heard, anecdotally, reports of citizens and businesses being asked to pay a fee to operate within this area. This is the crime of extortion. If anyone has been subjected to this, we need them to call 911,” Assistant Chief of Police Deanna Nollette said on Wednesday.

Meanwhile in the rest of the world
On the streets next to a police precinct in Seattle’s Capitol Hill neighborhood, protesters and officers spent a week locked in a nightly cycle of standoffs, at times ending with clouds of tear gas.

But facing a growing backlash over its dispersal tactics in the aftermath of George Floyd’s death in Minneapolis, the Seattle Police Department this week offered a concession: Officers would abandon their precinct, board up the windows and let the protesters have free rein outside.

In a neighborhood that is the heart of the city’s art and culture — threatened these days as rising tech wealth brings in gentrification — protesters seized the moment. They reversed the barricades to shield the liberated streets and laid claim to several city blocks, now known as the “Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone.”

“This space is now property of the Seattle people,” read a banner on the front entrance of the now-empty police station. The entire area was now a homeland for racial justice — and, depending on the protester one talked to, perhaps something more.

What has emerged is an experiment in life without the police — part street festival, part commune. Hundreds have gathered to hear speeches, poetry and music. On Tuesday night, dozens of people sat in the middle of an intersection to watch “13th,” the Ava DuVernay film about the criminal justice system’s impact on African-Americans. On Wednesday, children made chalk drawings in the middle of the street.

One block had a designated smoking area. Another had a medic station. At the “No Cop Co-op,” people could pick up a free LaCroix sparkling water or a snack. No currency was accepted, but across the street, in a nod to capitalism, a bustling stand was selling $6 hot dogs. It was dealing in U.S. dollars.

At gatherings on Wednesday, protesters held discussions about their priorities, listening to speeches. There was no violence or looting, and the city’s fire chief wandered around the area talking with protesters about their needs and a collaborative path forward.

I'd give it a couple of weeks at best and someday long before Covid-19 it will be gone.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin