Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 06-29-2017, 01:01 PM   #1
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Fishing reports

Guys have been complaining that "this site is dead". No fishing talk so I'm starting a thread. No specifics but here's #1:

I had a great morning on Narr Bay with several fish in high teens to low 20s. All I can say is find the pogy schools and you will find bass and big blues if you stay on the schools and fish the edges with big plugs and white Storm Shads.

You have to keep moving with the pogies because the fish are doing the same thing. Not all the schools have fish on them but you will know when you find the right school.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I caught some bass recently where the fish had bait(herring and macs) pinned between a rip and the shore and were picking them off.
White magic swimmer was like cheating. I brought a friend and his friend and they had a blast.

began at 2 AM and had to move since nothing doing there mostly because of wind and bait location, but once we moved and it became
daylight, the bite was on.

magic swimmers should be outlawed

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:35 PM   #3
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Fished briefly with a friend in Plymouth, but it was more of a boating 101 course so I could bring him up to speed of some does and don't as a new boat owner. We picked up some rats but did mark some nice fish, some right around 28". Ran outside to show what to avoid, how to navigate the channels and ran across an acre size pod of nervous fish on top. Wasn't rigged for snag and drop, either bunker or mackerel.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by Got Stripers; 06-29-2017 at 07:17 PM..
Got Stripers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:21 PM   #4
Guppy
User

Other day
Ten to one drifting eels out my front door,,,, skunk
Then steamed north for an hr and had to wait 3 hrs for the bite, then had to leave early the wife was on the warpath....

How's that for a report Pauly.. :-)

When this wind stops I'm back at it with a vengeance ! ... :-)
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:02 PM   #5
hardcore from shore

May a B+. June was a D, but have been picking up some 40 inch bass again. LOST via pulled hook after 15 minutes a very nice bass on white Stick Shad. 3 cranks after she was off a 34 incher hit the lure NOTHING like the dropped bass. Then got a 42 incher, again, Nothing like the dropped bass. Saw another guy drop a bass Sunday morning and last week I dropped a large when fish rolled and jig fell out (my bad) late in fight. Today 4 hours for a short. Location, location location.

Hardcore from shore
hardcore from shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:10 PM   #6
JLH

Very slow fishing in my areas through RI and CT. Been averaging a fish every three trips or so and often that's the only hit of the night. Putting in 3-4 hours per trip and covering some ground just not many fish showing up so far this season. Best fish was probabaly around 35 pounds. Few over 30 and the rest mostly 20 pound class fish. Not really seeing any small fish since early spring in the rivers.
JLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:23 AM   #7
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Other day
Ten to one drifting eels out my front door,,,, skunk
Then steamed north for an hr and had to wait 3 hrs for the bite, then had to leave early the wife was on the warpath....

How's that for a report Pauly.. :-)

When this wind stops I'm back at it with a vengeance ! ... :-)
Hysterical Ray!!!!

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:51 AM   #8
wdmso

Sadly i have nothing to report . was out Monday at the Race with everyone else .. long ride for a few keeper size bass .. and with the 4th comming up Sunday Monday look good if you can beat the crowds
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:21 AM   #9
Rockfish9

Just got in ..fished the drop last night..the whole incoming and the turn this morning..alot of work for a few 20lb class fish and schoolies. ..been that way all week..no pogies here...Mackerel are hard to come by...plenty of blue backs and sand eels...eels have begun to run strong. .average haul is 18 keepers per set on a 3 hour set...wind/storms have kept me in the river...water is in the low 60's on average...once the weather stabilizes I'll fish outside...time to go to bed.
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:22 AM   #10
albythereforyou

The surf fishing in the western sound in CT is like the dead sea. I had a decent may once all the local river fish dumped out into the surrounding waters, but june has been a lot of work for hardly any fish locally. I've been exploring the cape and finding fish just about every place I go, but its a far drive there and back...

My best fish of the season was a low 30lb bass that threw my jointed plug back in my face around the full moon in may. Got a handful of small weakfish on mag darters, and then spent the next month trying for one of the fly with no luck.

The amount of bunker by me is again just ridiculous. inshore, offshore, mid sound.... I can drive to 5 different spots right now 15 minutes away and get a cast net so heavy I won't be able to pull it up. there are only a very small amount of surf spots producing 1-2 bass a night on bunker chunks. I'd rather carve my eyes out with a spoon then fish bunker chunks from shore...

I'll be the cape all summer on weekends and wed/ thurs selling art at some of their flea markets, so hopefully I'll continue to get lucky and find some more bass out there.

Albies ? Are they in yet?
albythereforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:33 AM   #11
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by albythereforyou View Post
.........I'd rather carve my eyes out with a spoon then fish bunker chunks from shore.......

.......Great time to find Zen within yourself while chunking.
Save the spoon for some ice-cream.

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:35 AM   #12
DZ

Long gone are the days of "find the bait...find the fish" plenty of bait around the past few years. That said it's been very good if you're in the right location. Loads of juvenile sandlance. Droppers will improve your score IMMENSELY. Bass are shaped like footballs.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:31 PM   #13
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I noticed more bass shaped like footballs also DZ

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:53 PM   #14
PaulS

Was gonna fish the canal last night into today but changed my mind w/the wind forecast. Went out in eastern CT and saw lots of bunker right in front of me. No fish on them. Very slow so far this year.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:58 PM   #15
puppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
I noticed more bass shaped like footballs also DZ

Ditto.

There is nothing more pleasing that hauling in a healthy bass with a full
gizzard. Especially if you can find them in cold water. They fight twice
as hard and put on a show.
puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:09 PM   #16
DZ

Football shaped bass remind me of the glory days on Block. Same scenario just smaller bass now. Just how many sand eels could they possibly be stuffed with? Apparently when they're on the feed there is always room for one more.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:35 PM   #17
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by albythereforyou View Post

Albies ? Are they in yet?
Geees, slow down will ya!
That would mark the end coming up,,, we just started didn't we? :-)

Can't wait either.... Soooo much fun,,, :-)
Old 06-30-2017, 02:54 PM   #18
albythereforyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Geees, slow down will ya!
That would mark the end coming up,,, we just started didn't we? :-)

Can't wait either.... Soooo much fun,,, :-)
one kooky year about 20 years ago around the norwalk islands we had some drunken bonita come in around july 4th. they stuck around for about two weeks... totally crazy, they came in with some giant ocean going blue/pink/purple hued bluefish. I think they got lost on their way north and decided the east river was a good travel lane that year...

word spread quick though, and soon it was jeff northrop vs the world. these are my fish!
albythereforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:36 PM   #19
Rockfish9

OK...now that I've had some sleep. ..the rest of the story. ..
This morning ..a large pod of jumbos showed up right at day lbreak...they were not interested in anything. ...eels...plugs...I even ripped clousers and deceivers past them.they just rolled on the surface leaving wash tub sized swirls..tonight I'll intercept them in the dark....10 4 on the pork chop fish....alot of fatties around.. ..larger fish had displaced some of the little guys in the traditional "big fish" spots...full moon will be hot....these are our summer fish...Herring and shad...spent from spawning have begun to drop back to.the ocean. will provide easy forage for large fish.

Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:20 PM   #20
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Spent weds trying to get a decent fish along the Elizabeths and saw nothing other than micro bass in WH and Quicks. Did hit one big one, however. Unfortunately it was a rock and now I'm looking at a new lower unit.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:23 PM   #21
Clammer

join the club on lower units .........I,ve done 3 that I can remember ><<><

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:03 AM   #22
denis

Lucky it"s only#3.
denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:42 PM   #23
Clammer

what about the look out [mate] ><><

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 07-01-2017, 12:48 PM   #24
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post

Well that doesn't work either.

"We're gonna hit"

"We're not gonna hit"

"We're gonna hit"

"We're not gonna hit"

"We're gonna hit"

"We're not gonna hit"

"We're gonna hit"

"OK we hit"

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 03:36 PM   #25
Guppy
User

That's a tough one George, see if Mike will fix it for ya, sounds like he has a lot of experience in these matters....
Old 07-01-2017, 04:29 PM   #26
Clammer

INSURANCE ><><>< OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS ...thought about it .confirmed [4] complete units .no clue on how many props ..........

Last edited by Clammer; 07-01-2017 at 05:39 PM..

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 07-01-2017, 04:38 PM   #27
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
Operator error, don't blame the mate, you want to fish in tight get a trolling motor; they hit and bend but don't break😎. Or go buy one of those old (like you) vintage bass boats with a nice wooden keel.
Got Stripers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:51 PM   #28
Clammer

ya right Bob ,operator error ,,,,,,,,,,But none where from up tight & personal .those are just bent skegs & props .................................. that made me remember when f-18 [fishaholic] were winter fishing holdovers with the tin rig .& the bass were stacked under the ice . we got stuck on the ice until we stayed in reverse & got it to brake away from the wall .

then there was the new years night trip that JR & I took ....... &&&&&&&& the boat came off the trailer in the middle of the road ..................

or the time I was pulling the boat out of the ramp @ Ocean Grove when a guy stopped his rig in the middle to buckle down ,had to swerve to miss him ..........hit the curb & the boat flipped off the trailer & cut his door off at the hinges ........

no wonder I,m down to one guy to fish with & he even said his rods were away til ^&&&*( and went schoolie fishing

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 07-01-2017, 06:23 PM   #29
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Yeah, I bump over rocks all the time. Just tears up the skeg a bit. With this one, unfortunately I was distracted trying to speak Italian to the guy with me (who did not speak English) and conked one I knew about while powering onto a plane. Moderate skeg and prop damage, but also bent the shaft (b/o SS prop). Apparently Yamaha does not recommend rebuilding the lower unit on their offshore 4 strokes so it will be an insurance job and lower unit replacement. An aluminum prop would have prevented this, but when not fishing in the rocks I'm running the boat at speed in the night and chopping up lobster pots doesn't sit well with aluminum. So it goes. At least the fishing has been slow so I don't feel like I'm missing much yet.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:56 PM   #30
MAKAI
Too old to give a....

Slow ain't the word from shore anyway. May start drinking again....nah, then I'll probably end up getting married again !
MAKAI is offline   Reply With Quote