Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 12-26-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
Muskyslayer96

new to kayaking need recommendations

I hope this sin't too basic a question regarding Kayaking. I'm a fairly new member and do most of my posting in the builders forum.

I'm looking to purchase a fishing kayak this spring for my local lakes. I like the Hobie and the foot pedals as I would love to do some trolling as well. can I get some solid recommendations as to brands and what a total newbie should think of before spending a lot of cash.

Thanks in advance for your help,

MS
Muskyslayer96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
blondterror

There are 2 camps in Kayak fisherman... the Hobie guys and the rest. If you want to cover a lot of distance and fish for stripers I recommend a Hobie outback or Revolution fish. I own a Revolution and think it fits my needs perfectly... I fish Sunapee, Pleasant lake, and other small bass and trout ponds in NH and troll for stripers at night at Joppa Flats and barnstable harbor. Some guys take their Hobie on the ferry and fish Block Island when the weather gods cooperate.

If you get into it you will want a GPS/Fish Finder and you will rig your yak with a milkcrate and rod holders to fit your specific needs.

I'm sure you will get more input from other yak fisherman that have other SOT yaks that also are great fishing machines.

Night striper fishing can be a lot of fun and you can catch 10-20 fish greater than 30 inches on a great night.

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
Nebe

Get the hobie
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:01 PM   #4
Muskyslayer96

Thanks for the tip. Is there a particular place I can get more familiar? And how about purchasing a Hobie?

I appreciate the help.

MS
Old 12-26-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
blondterror

I bought my Hobie in Newport, NH from Alden of Sunapee... no tax and I got a life jacket thrown in. There is a good dealer in Rowley, MA but you will have to pay sales tax. Alden of Sunapee had a DEMO Revo Fish available when I stopped in to buy turbo fins in October. The best site to learn more and read fishing yak review is:

New England Kayak Fishing • Index page

Great guys and a lot of very good fisherman that use sluggos, and live eels

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
Muskyslayer96

Awesome,

Thanks again BT.

MS
Old 12-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #7
frogman_ch

Yes, you pretty much answered your own question. Get a Hobie. You should wait and try out both the Revelution and the Outback. If you can't wait, I think you would be happier with the Outback. I would google kayak fishing in New England and see where it takes you.
frogman_ch is offline   Reply With Quote