Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #31
GregW
Secretsquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
I know that, but I don't insist on it. Give me 2 feet and I'm happy. I had a van pass me close enough to brush me with his passenger side mirror recently, on a side road in Falmouth.

The other annoyance is the guy who has room to pass, a clear oncoming lane, and just sits there letting me know how annoyed he is at me "holding him up".
When running, I always notice it is the obese people who find it necessary to almost brush you with their car. Why? I have no clue, but it's almost always the case.
GregW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #32
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
When running, I always notice it is the obese people who find it necessary to almost brush you with their car. Why? I have no clue, but it's almost always the case.
Greg, I did that because I recognized you and was trying to scare you. It had nothing to do with me being obese.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #33
GregW
Secretsquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Greg, I did that because I recognized you and was trying to scare you. It had nothing to do with me being obese.
Didn't realize that was you. I didn't think it was possible for you to drive a girlier car, but you proved me wrong.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #34
spence

Quote:
Didn't realize that was you. I didn't think it was possible for you to drive a girlier car, but you proved me wrong.
Was it the yellow Sebring convertible again?
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #35
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Was it the yellow Sebring convertible again?
No, I have a purple Volkswagen bug now. Complete with the tulips in the dashboard. The Sebring wasn't gay enough.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #36
GregW
Secretsquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
No, I have a purple Volkswagen bug now. Complete with the tulips in the dashboard. The Sebring wasn't gay enough.
It was actually a pink cabriolet with tulips on the dash, your other car?
Old 07-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #37
spence

Quote:
It was actually a pink cabriolet with tulips on the dash, your other car?
Good call on the tulips, that's FB for sure.

It certainly wasn't me, I always drive with the tulip in my bearing teeth at high speed.

-spence
Old 07-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #38
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Old fogies

I like the old fogies who drive 20 m.p.h. in a 40 m.p.h. speed zone, then pick up speed approaching the stop sign and drive by it like it isn't there.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #39
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
I like the old fogies who drive 20 m.p.h. in a 40 m.p.h. speed zone, then pick up speed approaching the stop sign and drive by it like it isn't there.
Of the three recent incidents in which I've almost been T-Boned, every single one of them has been an incident where my light turned green and some gray-haired grandma or grandpa blasted through the intersection as if there wasn't even a light.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #40
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Of the three recent incidents in which I've almost been T-Boned, every single one of them has been an incident where my light turned green and some gray-haired grandma or grandpa blasted through the intersection as if there wasn't even a light.

Invariably it was the old folks most of the time who hit vehicles next to them in grocery store parking lots and took off. Not all the time, but more often than not.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 07-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #41
JohnnyD

Quote:
Invariably it was the old folks most of the time who hit vehicles next to them in grocery store parking lots and took off. Not all the time, but more often than not.
Probably concerned about losing their license. As I'm sure you're all too aware, most people I meet over 75 have no business driving.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #42
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Sometimes, when reading this board, I think south of Boston is a whole different world.

I see cruisers constantly on I-95 both in MA and NH. I also see the locals constantly out pulling people over in the local communities around my way, Georgetown, Groveland, Topsfield, Rowley.

I get good service at the Dunkin Donuts around our area too...
Absolutly kevin... my ride to the boat each night is 30 minutes.. give or take... the majority on I 95.... I NEVER see less than 3 troopers... either pulling someone over.. or sitting waiting to pounce...When i get off on Scotland rd. ( or drive it going home @ 1 or 2AM).. I am sure to see a cruiser( local) parked with a customer or laying in wait at least two nights a week... twice on Saturday nights in the last few years, I have had to go through road blocks after mid night to get home.. my town ( Reading) has a cruiser parked( no lights engine running) on haverhill st. at least one night a week... all that said... the average driver today is far more disrespectfull of other drivers than they were 20 years ago... they are also more distracted as well...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #43
FishermanTim

I don't want to change the overall tone of this post, but there's also the contingency of new drivers that take drivers ed classes, where they are only taught how to pass the test.
Not all driver's ed schools are guilty of this, but there seems to be quite a few immigrant drivers that seem to have no clue on how to drive.

I also agree that turn signals are used as often as hemmeroid creme, they're both considered a pain in the a$$.

Now with the ineffective law enforcement, new driving laws (texting & cell phones) that will equally be ignored, and ignorant drivers I'm constantly looking out for #1 when driving, because if I don't I can't rely on the law to!!!!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #44
Jimbo

Fisherman Tim, that very last comment is exactly why I have an extra camera in the car with me wherever I go. Ya never know if the "other guy" is going to lie through his teeth, take off or what.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #45
striperman36
Old Guy

Mount the go pro in the vehicle
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #46
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Fisherman Tim, that very last comment is exactly why I have an extra camera in the car with me wherever I go. Ya never know if the "other guy" is going to lie through his teeth, take off or what.

imagine this.... your driving behind an oil delivery truck that has come to a stop and your waiting to go around them
except for on coming traffic you have to wait... on one car.
next thing ya know...
its (oil truck) backing up into you and pushing you backwards like a bulldozer

RRRRRRR,RRRRRRRR,RRRRRRR

you cannot escape because now the doors wont open because the front fenders have been pushed slightly (1/2 inch) over the front door edge's locking them up.

screaming out the window, honking the horn and depressing the brake hasn't accomplished a thing so after 200 feet of being pushed backwards in park

...finally turning of the steering wheel brings the rear of the vehicle into the oil truck drivers view. They stop and start driving away.

when the policeman arrives the Officer accuses you of speeding and skidding 200 feet in a perfectly straight line and crashing into the back of the oil truck.

This happened to me -and when i drive- i like having a camera.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #47
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

[QUOTE=FishermanTim;949938]

I also agree that turn signals are used as often as hemmeroid creme, they're both considered a pain in the a$$./QUOTE]

It is extremely difficult for people to use turn signals when they are using thier cell phones, c'mon man.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 07-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #48
Raven

[QUOTE=Swimmer;950056]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post

I also agree that turn signals are used as often as hemmeroid creme, they're both considered a pain in the a$$./QUOTE]

It is extremely difficult for people to use turn signals when they are using thier cell phones, c'mon man.
maybe they could make an app for that
Old 07-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #49
striperman36
Old Guy

I almost had a benz creme in the ass this am, driving holding the phone in the left hand on the right ear, trying to steer with the right.
Suprised she didn't have a starbuck's with a straw.

They make headsets, I use my Jabra all the time. I normally do my AM and PM conf calls from the Jeep
Old 07-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #50
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Steering with yours knees

Hey, about 39 years ago I chased a guy on route 27 into Brockton who was steering with his left knee while he using both hands to load a .38 caliber S & W snubby. I finally stopped him, and I'm still here, so we all know how that turned out.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 07-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #51
Raven

Striperman36 = Jabraman
Old 07-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #52
Raven

Quote:
Hey, about 39 years ago I chased a guy on route 27 into Brockton who was steering with his left knee while he using both hands to load a .38 caliber S & W snubby. I finally stopped him, and I'm still here, so we all know how that turned out.
I drove almost across the whole state of Texas with my knees

i was too busy doing something else.... that requires two hands. -lol

and glad that pistol loading guy scenario worked out well for ya Frank
Old 07-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #53
striperman36
Old Guy

I still fail to understand how anyone can get going the WRONG direction on a major highway.
A young lady from Mansfield was laid to rest this past Sunday, after she managed to do so at 0400 one fine morning last week.

yeah, you can say the operating under the influence thing, but I don't have any idea about that.

Mansfield and Rhode Island residents identified killed in fatal Rt. 24 crash - Mansfield, MA - Mansfield News
Old 07-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #54
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
I still fail to understand how anyone can get going the WRONG direction on a major highway.
A young lady from Mansfield was laid to rest this past Sunday, after she managed to do so at 0400 one fine morning last week.

yeah, you can say the operating under the influence thing, but I don't have any idea about that.
0400 Sunday morning, which means after Saturday night drinking. Also if I read the report correctly, she was *traveling* down the wrong side of the highway with the median to her right for who knows how long. There's no way you could convince me alcohol was not a factor in this crash. Same with the high school girl that unfortunately died a few months ago.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #55
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
0400 Sunday morning, which means after Saturday night drinking. Also if I read the report correctly, she was *traveling* down the wrong side of the highway with the median to her right for who knows how long. There's no way you could convince me alcohol was not a factor in this crash. Same with the high school girl that unfortunately died a few months ago.
I hear ya, she also had a passenger. As I said, I can't see it the circumstances as you say are just disturbing.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #56
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
The other death (John LaChapelle) was my next door neighbors nephew. They got off early to hit the race in New Hampshire.

He survived the crash and died in the burning car as he was pinned.

What a terrible way to go.

-spence
Old 07-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #57
Raven

Sometimes it's because of SLEEP deprivation and what "seems" like
logical reality is just an illusion ,,, and the driver is on Automatic pilot
Old 07-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #58
bostonharbor

I passed the scene on the way to rose island.it was horrible.hail Mary's were said.
bostonharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:29 AM   #59
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
what "seems" like
logical reality is just an illusion
Reading your posts for a few years now, the above sounds like a typical day in the life of Raven.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #60
Van
zoom

[QUOTE=Swimmer;950056]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post

Using a turn signal in Bahstan is just a sign of weakness. Now the enemy knows your plan and you're screwed.

Try my commute through Boston/Southie and Dorchester. Makes the stuff you guys are talking about look like a school yard of rubber coated tricycles.
I've been doing almost the same commute for 30 years.

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Things done at the last possible minute are done with the greatest possible information. Procrastination is, therefore, the most efficient means of doing things.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote