Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 04-17-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
Raven

Angry SKINNED ALIVE !!!!

i am so mad....hurt and devastated as to my Sh!t luck lately...

i cannot even comprehend the implications of it all...

car trouble's galore...financial troubles that you wouldn't believe

and now THIS on top of it all....

what happened is this.... my dog and i were out in the front yard
and i was moving my whole car load of plastic pots out of my car to the upper barn... then i threw the 6 inch rubber ring for my fantastic queensland blue healer named star,and she is a STAR in every way.

poor thing... i am soooo destroyed over this... and feel so stupid and guilty thst you cannot even imagine it...

i threw the ring where i normally never throw it, because the greenhouse materials are in the way of the regular retrieving path ok... and i didn't want her to get hurt running into the lumber.

i only threw it once but thats all it took... i heard a blood curdling yelp and she stayed yelping as i ran to see what happened and i thought she had broken a leg....at least....with that much pain.

well it was even worse... she ran full boar at around 40 mph into this friggan property marker stake and peeled the skin right off her chest like a banana...and as i approached her i saw something hanging down but wasn't registering what the hell it could be.

it was her skin...around 8 inches of it...a 2 inch wide strip...and she only weighs 34 pounds so for a dog her size thats allot... well then the blood started to flow and i was just freaking out and carried her into the house to wrap her up and to stop the bleeding as fast as i could. My van has a brake valve that leaks so i couldn't just jump in the car and drive her to a vet... so in panic mode i dialed 911 and they sent an officer and the dog officer to rescue us...

1 minute later the wife pulls in and we scrambled down the road
hoping to intercept the dog officer en route to a vet..and we had no idea where to even go. then we see the cruiser with the blues on..and flag him down...

he has us follow the dog officer to the nearest clinic two towns over and we get her bandaged up but then have to drive to the emergency animal hospital in Springfield because she's gonna need anesthesia
and a pro surgen to fix this wound right and someone whos up all night too.

now we have to drive all the way to Springfield and its another 40 minutes to get there...on the way we are stopped by the cops for driving too fast with the flashers on... and we explain hey emergency situation man... and he lets us go right away... thankyou SIR

fianlly we get to the hospital and it takes another 30 minutes or so to finally see the Doc who was more than excellent. they hit you up on the spot for 50% of the estimated cost which is over a grand...

yeah like us poor farmers have that kind of dough in our pocket at 930 at night....give me a friggan break...

so luckilly i was able to call my greatest brother and we are able to pull it off with an American express card for now...

the dog can be saved....it'll take time to heal her up but shes absolutely my best friend and my only child ..... kinda..

we cannot afford this disaster..plain and simple... it's a real bad situation... to say the least... i'm a wreck...never have i experienced something so unpleasant ,gory. and sickening.
it smelled just awful like cleaning out a duck after shooting it..
you hunters know what i mean...

shes in good hands but the poor dog has a long tough road ahead of her...thats for sure...

here's a picture of this idiotic metal stake she ran into...
i'll jack it out of there in the morning with my high lift jack and a chain... it was the boundary marker... instead of a wooden stake.

this is an awful thing to have happen.... is all i can say as
tears are welling up in my eyes just thinkin about it all....
gotta go now... dammit to hell

Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:54 AM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Raven....sorry to hear about your fuzzy, four legged friend! I hope he heals quickly!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:14 AM   #3
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Ouch, hope the dog heals quickly.
Get rid of the metal stake !
Best is to put down a granite lot marker flush at ground level.
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:04 AM   #4
MrHunters
What was that!?!

while reading that i was putting myself in your shoes the entire time!! How devistating!! I would be in the same boat if something like that ever happened!

You did all the right things man, and at that point money is no object, believe me, I've spent close to 2 grand saving my dog from having to be put down from mange!!

Good luck, you pup will thank you in his own way, you will know.
MrHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:23 AM   #5
Raven

Unhappy good idea Captain RON

that stake is sorta off my property in the north west corner out of sight and thus out of mind...on the other side of some big bushes.
for all i know and i'm checking out every detail it could belong to the neighbor...but i kinda doubt it..

i didn't install the stupid thing... but you better believe i'll be diggin that son of beotch up this morning...

thanks Ron and Larry... for your thoughts.. Star is a GIRL dog

i'm still rather traumatized this mornin .... to say the least...
you get sooo attached to your best little pal.... so it hurts me deep

She's so friggan fast shes like that coors train in the super bowl commercial....she's part dingo...the wild dog who has to chase down their food to eat.. and i've made her twice as fast with thousands of hours of athletic training...she's an athlete for real.

i have to wait to hear from the nice VET around 8 am to see how shes doing.... and we'll fetch her tonight... as it takes two people.

i was just editing a picture i took of her to make me feel a little better... because i feel really sad... and bummed out. i mean ...i've seen plenty of injuries to dogs in my life but this was the worst ...more like an autopsy in comparison... but i'm sure she'll pull thru because shes as tough as a diamond...

here she is...

STAR

Old 04-18-2008, 06:44 AM   #6
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

wishing you and star the best...

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:47 AM   #7
vineyardblues

Wow, not sure what to say.
I am a huge dog fan, I just gave my German Shep a bath yesterday with the good weather.
Raven, I hope everything works out for you!
Regards
VB
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:51 AM   #8
Andy D
Just Keep On Pluggin !

Raven I'll be praying for your pooch. There is nothing like the loyalty,
companionship and love that you get from a good dog.
People should take note.
Andy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:01 AM   #9
Raven

Thumbs up progress report...

just finished talkin to the Doc...and she's gonna make it...

thank GOD !!!

all that training has paid off in that, she had zero fatty tissue and the metal stake didn't damage her muscle tissue...too bad -even though shes very much bruised....

and she has drainage tubes for awhile to relieve the pressure..and she be on heavy pain killers for a week...or so..

the Doc said: she is the most physically in shape dog she's ever seen....so i guess that says something... and i told her..well thats because she's a martial artist and can turn on a dime because that's how i train all my dog's....and then she said , so thats how you did that....wow...! i was amazed at the condition she's in despite the injury ,she said. she had stared at her the whole night.

phew... thats a relief, now i can go immerse myself in my work and chill out in the sunshine... (that sounds funny)

time to go hang some bird houses, plant some seeds and plants ect.
do some diggin....and more diggin heh heh
.................................................. .................................................. .
thanks for letting me VENT here... as i'm all alone... way out in the country with no one to really to talk too...so posting helps me cope.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:05 AM   #10
Raven

Angry now for the ANGER

i am gonna go kick some metal survey stake BUTT
Old 04-18-2008, 07:21 AM   #11
Duke41
got gas?

wow,

Great work in saving your dog. I hope she will be alright. Geez what a weird thing to have happen.
Duke41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:22 AM   #12
Katie
Scuttlebutt

Send a message via AIM to Katie Send a message via MSN to Katie Send a message via Skype™ to Katie
glad to hear Star is okay!

Wasajigifying -[ was - a - jig-i-fy-ing] - the concept of not knowing what the hell your saying.

My Photography Page!
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:18 AM   #13
fishbones

Raven, sorry you had to go through that. But, it's great news that she's going to be all right. Sounds like your quick response helped save her. Great work by you to get her to the vet so fast. Keep us updated on her progress.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:21 AM   #14
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

You have quite the dog there Raven. I'm glad she is doing OK. I hope she has a successful recovery.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
MarshCappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:29 AM   #15
PaulS

Glad she's on the road to recovery. I know the cost is a lot but compare it to the joy you get out of her.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:49 AM   #16
eastendlu

Sorry to read this about your dog Craig and i'm glad to hear she is going to pull thru.
eastendlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:07 AM   #17
Raven

Notice to all readers of this post

please do me and a friend or neighbor a favor

and tell them what happened to my dog if

you see a metal pipe banged into the ground...

The Vet says this is a VERY common injury

i will be telling people of this horror show for the rest of
my life... trust me on that
=========================================

and BTW : i just spoke to a landscaper who was passing out fliers
for tree pruning and similar spring clean up work...

i told him i did my own work but arranged for him to drop off leaves and or grass clippings if it saved him time or money for my compost operation... and he was agreeable to that...

and he told me of a story that happened 5 years ago..
about a guy he heard of that stumbled backwards and fell on one of those grounding stakes made of soild copper i think, Right?

he told me the grounding stake passed right thru the back of his head and then popped out his forehead killing him instantly...

so it's a real serious situation that people
obviously take for granted

which is why i decided to post this story as well..
so keep your eye out
for those dammed things like a HAWK

and thank you kindly for your nice words and sympathy
it goes a long way....to ease a troubled spirit
Old 04-18-2008, 10:37 AM   #18
fishbones

Thanks for the warning, Raven. People don't always realize the dangers in and around their own homes. When I moved into my house a few years ago, I noticed a metal stake sticking up about 2 feet out of the ground near my pool. I tried pulling it out, digging it out, etc...... I couldn't budge it. I was worried because it was right next to the cement apron around the pool and I have young neices and nephews and at the time my son was an infant. I was worried that the kids or some of my drunk friends could slip and end up skewering themselves on the stake. I ended up digging a few feet down and cutting it off with a sawzall, then put a metal plate over it and filled in the dirt. I later found out that it was a huge drill bit for drilling through rocks that had been used when they put in the pool. It got stuck and they couldn't get it out. I can't believe the previous owner of the house had left it there for years and risked someone getting hurt.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:55 AM   #19
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Geez, I'm so sorry Raven. It'll get better.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:12 PM   #20
FishermanTim

Raven, I commend you on you quick thinking and actions. More than enough people would freak out and go into complete shock in that kind of scenario.
Although the dog is considered "man's best friend", you are indeed your "dog'd best friend".
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:54 PM   #21
GonnaCatchABig1
must find the fish

yikes! what a horror story! but from what you said and that pic of her. i'm sure she will be just fine. as bad as it sounds it was, if she could talk.. once she recovers she'd probably tell her friends about it and when they replied "how awful!" she'd shoot back with "meh, it was merely a flesh wound" and give a sly smile. thats one tough lookin dog! even for a girl. (looks over shoulder to make sure theres no females around)

i wish the lil lady a speedy recovery.

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
GonnaCatchABig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #22
MrHunters
What was that!?!

btw, that is one ominous looking stake. ill be looking out for them from now on. thanks.

i get nervous when my dog is just retrieving a stick and he's holding it like a cigar running FULL OUT!. just one trip up and its an emergency room visit for sure.. OR WORSE!

Last edited by MrHunters; 04-18-2008 at 01:20 PM..
MrHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:09 PM   #23
partsjay
Let's Rock!

I wish you , your pup and your family the best......I know how dogs can be part of the family.....best of luck to you.
partsjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #24
fishaholic18
Finally

Glad STAR is OK Raven, nothing like having your best bud hurtin'...

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:26 PM   #25
Raven

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHunters View Post
btw, that is one ominous looking stake. ill be looking out for them from now on. thanks.

i get nervous when my dog is just retrieving a stick and he's holding it like a cigar running FULL OUT!. just one trip up and its an emergency room visit for sure.. OR WORSE!
ya better go there with at least 500 bucks in your pocket or forget about it
Old 04-18-2008, 05:49 PM   #26
Adam_777

Raven your one of the good guys man.I feel bad for your dog and everyone affected by this.I hope your dog heals fast and is back out doing Kung-Fu and Ju-Jitsu with you soon.You live near North Kingstown RI ? If so I'd help you out with your brakes if you need it.I'm a Heavy truck mechanic but I know a little about juice brakes.
Adam_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #27
Jenn

Sorry to hear that Raven. Its a crazy thing to happen but it could have happened to anyone so you cant beat yourself up about it too bad. I am about 20 minutes to springfield if you need anything when your out this way....

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:33 PM   #28
freebie

prayers go out for Star from me Katie and our dog buddy
freebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:44 PM   #29
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Jeez Craig sorry to hear. Hope all turns out alright. If this keeps up you are going to have to name your turf Murphy's Law Farm.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:16 PM   #30
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Unhappy

Sorry to hear Rav, and while i would feel the same as you,
don't kick yourself as it was an accident and you really are not to blame.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote