Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 05-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #31
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
And now where is it going?
It's going up. But unlike the other guys, at least regular folks are seeing an increase in their paychecks.

Obama spent 750 billion on the stimulus, which he said would keep unemployment under 8%. It went over 10%. Worse, I don't know a single person who benefitted from that spending, not one. I know a lot of people who are benefitting a little, from the GOP tax cut. I know people, like me, whose taxes decreased. I know people who work at Travelers and got bonuses. And we all have heard the stories about the companies giving bonuses to employees, and adding new jobs.

You cannot ever make that wrong. Obama's stimulus added to the deficit, and did nothing. The GOP tax overhaul will add to the stimulus, but at least it's helping people. Lots of regular, middle class people.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #32
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Apple alone is adding 20,000 jobs., and paying 38 billion in federal tax to bring back 250 billion in overseas cash.

Comcast is investing 50 billion in infastructure improvements.

None of that matters to these people, they hate Trump so much, they are literally, and I mean literally, blinded to everything else.

Unemployment is down, and wages are up. Those are good things. But you can't get a Trump hater to concede that.
and none of it has happened yet.. Apple did not specify the types of jobs that will be part of it its hiring push, such as if the majority will be sales staff at its various Apple stores or if they will be software engineers or technical workers. it matters

Comcast "Roberts also announced that the Company expects to spend well in excess of $50 billion over the next five years investing in infrastructure to radically improve and extend our broadband plant and capacity, and our television, film and theme park offerings," the company added.

But those that take a closer look at Comcast's finances will find that's something that would have occurred anyway.

they planned to do anyway, then claim it was all only possible thanks to Trump and you fall for it PS wages are not up I forgot they are by 4 cents
Old 05-07-2018, 09:28 AM   #33
detbuch

Quote:
The supply sider deficit that started with Reagan
Continued under Bush
Went down under Clinton(hey, it went up but not as much as anyone else)
Went back up under Bush 2
Continued up under Obama
And now where is it going?
Government over-spending, regardless of the type of economics (supply side or Keynsian or whatever) results in government deficits.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:51 AM   #34
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
and none of it has happened yet.. Apple did not specify the types of jobs that will be part of it its hiring push, such as if the majority will be sales staff at its various Apple stores or if they will be software engineers or technical workers. it matters

Comcast "Roberts also announced that the Company expects to spend well in excess of $50 billion over the next five years investing in infrastructure to radically improve and extend our broadband plant and capacity, and our television, film and theme park offerings," the company added.

But those that take a closer look at Comcast's finances will find that's something that would have occurred anyway.

they planned to do anyway, then claim it was all only possible thanks to Trump and you fall for it PS wages are not up I forgot they are by 4 cents
"and none of it has happened yet"

Tax rates are down, bonuses have been paid, minimum wages have been raised at a lot of places. If you are referring to Apple, no you are correct, they haven't hired 20,000 new people yet. Perhaps that kind of growth takes time to think through and to plan diligently.

"Apple did not specify the types of jobs that will be part of it its hiring push, such as if the majority will be sales staff at its various Apple stores or if they will be software engineers or technical workers. it matters "

Of course it matters. But it's still 20,000 new jobs that didn't exist before. ANYTHING to deflect from the fact that the tax overhaul already did more than Obama's stimulus.

"they (Comcast) planned to do anyway, then claim it was all only possible thanks to Trump "

So the company that owns NBC and MSNBC, the company that signs Rachael Maddow's paychecks, is lying to make Trump look good. That's what you expect me to believe? That just makes ALL KINDS of sense. Please, tell us more about the insider financial information of Comcast. Obviously you are so well-informed...

"PS wages are not up "

Net wages, which are what matter, are up.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:58 AM   #35
PaulS

[QUOTE=Jim in CT;1142264
Of course it matters. But it's still 20,000 new jobs that didn't exist before. ANYTHING to deflect from the fact that the tax overhaul already did more than Obama's stimulus.

[/QUOTE]

While Apple said that they were adding $100 M to stock buybacks bc of the tax law they never said that the 20K new jobs where as a result of the law.

ANYTHING to promote Trump regardless of facts.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:14 AM   #36
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
While Apple said that they were adding $100 M to stock buybacks bc of the tax law they never said that the 20K new jobs where as a result of the law.

ANYTHING to promote Trump regardless of facts.
I can't refute that, Apple didn't specifically say that the 20,000 new jobs were only because of the tax overhaul. But the jobs, I believe, were included in the same announcement as bringing back 250B in cash, and paying a tax of 38B. We do know, those moves are a result of the tax overhaul.

Apple also gave $2,500 bonuses to most of it's 85,000 employees. But let's not talk about that.

I am sorry that the economy is doing so well, Paul. It must eat at you and Spence.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:30 AM   #37
PaulS

Quote:
I am sorry that the economy is doing so well, Paul. It must eat at you and Spence.
Why would you make that up? You're smart enough to know that is not true.

If the attached chart didn't have dates on it would you be able to tell where Pres. Trump was elected?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LNS14000000_601020_1525708710543.gif
Views:	424
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	65146  
Old 05-07-2018, 11:39 AM   #38
Jim in CT

Quote:
Why would you make that up? You're smart enough to know that is not true.

If the attached chart didn't have dates on it would you be able to tell where Pres. Trump was elected?
"Why would you make that up? You're smart enough to know that is not true."

I believe it to be true. When you constantly deflect and water down every bid of economic good news because you hate the guy at the helm, it's a reasonable conclusion.

"If the attached chart didn't have dates on it would you be able to tell where Pres. Trump was elected"

So you're saying that unemployment trends that existed under Obama, would be expected to stay the same under a new POTUS? How about when unemployment hit zero, would that downward trend be expected to continue? Or are there a ton of moving pieces that effect such thing?

The economy is better than when Trump took office, and most of us have a bit more money in our pockets, and our retirement accounts are up since he got sworn in, and the companies we work for and have shares in, are more profitable and valuable. .
Old 05-07-2018, 12:01 PM   #39
PaulS

Quote:
"Why would you make that up? You're smart enough to know that is not true."

I believe it to be true. When you constantly deflect and water down every bid of economic good news because you hate the guy at the helm, it's a reasonable conclusion. I hate the guy for what he says and how he acts. That has been prob. 90% of my criticism in this forum about him.

"If the attached chart didn't have dates on it would you be able to tell where Pres. Trump was elected"

So you're saying that unemployment trends that existed under Obama, would be expected to stay the same under a new POTUS? What I'm sayings is that w/o the dates you can't tell where Pres. Trump was elected so it appears that the overall trend is basically the same. Pres. Trump or Pres Obama - the empl. rate trend hasn't changed much How about when unemployment hit zero, would that downward trend be expected to continue? Or are there a ton of moving pieces that effect such thing?

The economy is better than when Trump took office, and most of us have a bit more money in our pockets, and our retirement accounts are up since he got sworn in, and the companies we work for and have shares in, are more profitable and valuable. .
Agreed, the economy has gotten better under Trump but we'll never know where it would be under Obama.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:10 PM   #40
Jim in CT

Quote:
Agreed, the economy has gotten better under Trump but we'll never know where it would be under Obama.
"I hate the guy for what he says and how he acts"

Could not agree more. I also hated the way Obama acted and hated most of what he said (though he was not nearly as crass of vulgar as Trump). Been a long time since I was proud of a POTUS.

"w/o the dates you can't tell where Pres. Trump was elected so it appears that the overall trend is basically the same. Pres. Trump or Pres Obama - the empl. rate trend hasn't changed much "

That's true. But Trump has to get some credit for doing something to allow that trend to continue. Obama didn't do anything that would lead anyone to expect that the trend would continue on its own.

"the economy has gotten better under Trump but we'll never know where it would be under Obama"

True, we can't know what the economy would look like if Obama or Hilary were in there. We don't know what it would look like had Romney won. All we know, is where it was when Obama left, and we know that by most honest measures, it's better now.

I also know that my take home pay is $250 higher per month. Many, many people saw similar results. We know that's because of tax overhaul. It's been a good thing for my family. Obama would never have signed it, never.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:12 PM   #41
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
"I hate the guy for what he says and how he acts"

Could not agree more. I also hated the way Obama acted and hated most of what he said (though he was not nearly as crass of vulgar as Trump). Been a long time since I was proud of a POTUS.
Not perhaps Nixon, there is a good chance this one is following in his shoes

"w/o the dates you can't tell where Pres. Trump was elected so it appears that the overall trend is basically the same. Pres. Trump or Pres Obama - the empl. rate trend hasn't changed much "

That's true. But Trump has to get some credit for doing something to allow that trend to continue. Obama didn't do anything that would lead anyone to expect that the trend would continue on its own.
We would gladly give him some credit, but he has already given himself more than his fair share.

"the economy has gotten better under Trump but we'll never know where it would be under Obama"

True, we can't know what the economy would look like if Obama or Hilary were in there. We don't know what it would look like had Romney won. All we know, is where it was when Obama left, and we know that by most honest measures, it's better now.
It's on the same plane that it was before Obama left, no matter what Kellyanne, Sarah and Sean say. It's not the most, greatest, best, or whatever simple superlative of the moment

I also know that my take home pay is $250 higher per month. Many, many people saw similar results. We know that's because of tax overhaul. It's been a good thing for my family. Obama would never have signed it, never.
Perhaps a good thing for your family currently, but I am assuming you want your children to live in the future in a growing vibrant economy.
Your odds just dropped according to many economists, though you can find a few that think it will be rosy. Some also say the world is flat, and that Obama was not born here.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 05-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #42
Jim in CT

Quote:
Perhaps a good thing for your family currently, but I am assuming you want your children to live in the future in a growing vibrant economy.
Your odds just dropped according to many economists, though you can find a few that think it will be rosy. Some also say the world is flat, and that Obama was not born here.
"Perhaps a good thing for your family currently"

A good thing for a lot of families, currently. No "perhaps" about it.

"I am assuming you want your children to live in the future in a growing vibrant economy."

I do. Is that less likely today, than it was in Obama's last day? If so, how so?

"Your odds just dropped according to many economists"

Who? Paul Krugman, who said that the US economy would not survive a Trump presidency?

"Some also say the world is flat, and that Obama was not born here"

I don't say either of these two things. But I can say that Obama helped light a fire under the horribly sick US economy he inherited, and I can say that Trump has poured rocket fuel on that fire. And he did it in a way that helps my take-home pay, in a way that Obama never ever did.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:43 PM   #43
Pete F.
Canceled

Is rocket fuel from Hannity?
I agree with this view more and just hope that the clown show is over soon, don't worry Trump is only the ringmaster, there are several other rings called the House and Senate.
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...-and-circuses/

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 05-07-2018, 04:35 PM   #44
Sea Dangles

There is plenty of evidence that workers are benefiting from corporate tax cuts.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 05-07-2018, 04:40 PM   #45
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
There is plenty of evidence that shareholders are benefiting from corporate tax cuts.
Fixed.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:04 PM   #46
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Fixed.
There is plenty of evidence that workers and shareholders are both benefiting from corporate tax cuts.

Fixed.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #47
spence

Quote:
It adds up Jeff
Maybe it will help offset the increased healthcare costs under Trumpcare. Or perhaps the social services cuts.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:00 PM   #48
Jim in CT

Quote:
Maybe it will help offset the increased healthcare costs under Trumpcare. Or perhaps the social services cuts.
What happened to healthcare costs from 2009 - 2016? Did they go down by 2500 a year for the average family, as some idiot promised they would?
Old 05-07-2018, 07:01 PM   #49
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
There is plenty of evidence that workers and shareholders are both benefiting from corporate tax cuts.

Fixed.
In many many cases, workers are also shareholders. Many people have a 401k, an IRA, or a 529 plan, in which case they benefit from the things that Spence says benefit shareholders.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:08 PM   #50
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Fixed.
Seriously Jeff, I mean duh.

My response was to wd saying there is little evidence that the workers are benefiting from the cuts. Please try to follow the conversation before inserting your narrative.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 05-07-2018, 08:38 PM   #51
detbuch

Quote:
Maybe it will help offset the social services cuts.
Social services should be state and local responsibilities, not federal . . . that is if actual, original, constitutional text is applied. The federal budget (oops, there is no federal budget) would be way, far, smaller, and federal taxes would shrink, if Congress and the Court were bound by the original text.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:32 AM   #52
spence

Quote:
Seriously Jeff, I mean duh.

My response was to wd saying there is little evidence that the workers are benefiting from the cuts. Please try to follow the conversation before inserting your narrative.
I stand by my response.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:40 AM   #53
Sea Dangles

Quote:
I stand by my childish nonsensical response.
No surprise there.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 05-09-2018, 03:25 AM   #54
wdmso

Quote:
I can't refute that, Apple didn't specifically say that the 20,000 new jobs were only because of the tax overhaul. But the jobs, I believe, were included in the same announcement as bringing back 250B in cash, and paying a tax of 38B. We do know, those moves are a result of the tax overhaul.

Apple also gave $2,500 bonuses to most of it's 85,000 employees. But let's not talk about that.

Apple is giving its employees $2,500 bonuses in restricted stock units yet again another example from what i can find hasn't happened ..

ITS been said before.. suddenly now all the governments data is spot on .. no one here isn't saying the economy is is not doing well ,, we just disagree that the avg American is some how in a much better place just because Orange Julius is in office .. which is factually inaccurate
Old 05-09-2018, 03:56 AM   #55
scottw

Quote:

Apple is giving its employees $2,500 bonuses in restricted stock units yet again another example from what i can find hasn't happened ..
wait...so...Apple is giving bonuses or isn't giving bonuses?
Old 05-09-2018, 03:57 AM   #56
scottw

Quote:

we just disagree that the avg American is some how in a much better place just because Orange Julius is in office .. which is factually inaccurate
based on what?....and define "avg American"

Last edited by scottw; 05-09-2018 at 04:14 AM..
Old 05-09-2018, 04:12 AM   #57
scottw

Quote:

Is rocket fuel from Hannity?
that's a tough question....