Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-20-2015, 09:43 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Why hasn't Obama ordered flags to half-mast after what happened in Tennessee?

Does he do this stuff on purpose, to give the finger to people with traditional values?

Bill Clinton had liberal core values, but he understood that lots o people felt differently, and that he was their President, too.

This guy...everything he touches, turns to vomit. He can't get the easy ones right.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:58 AM   #2
Fishpart
Keep The Change

When in the course of human events....

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 07-21-2015, 09:29 AM   #3
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
When in the course of human events....
18 months, just wait a bit longer, natural turn of elected power.

On an unrelated note, been reading a lot on the history leading up to and through the Civil War.

Takeaways:

• Abe Lincoln was the best POTUS
  • Reading of actual history and relating to today cannot be constrained in 140 characters
  • We may be approaching about as decisive a nation as then

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 07-21-2015, 11:54 AM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
18 months, just wait a bit longer, natural turn of elected power.

On an unrelated note, been reading a lot on the history leading up to and through the Civil War.

Takeaways:

• Abe Lincoln was the best POTUS
  • Reading of actual history and relating to today cannot be constrained in 140 characters
  • We may be approaching about as decisive a nation as then

Agreed on all counts.

Even here in the Peoples Republik Of Konnecticut, they lowered the flags to half-mast, as other governors are now doing. I assume Obama is aware that the attack took place, right? It's unbelievable to me that he hasn't lowered th eflag to half mast, who the hell advises this guy on these things?
Old 07-21-2015, 12:05 PM   #5
Fly Rod

It took 7 days to lower the flag.

Y was not the white house lit up at nite with RED, WHITE AND BLUE on the 4th of July.

"When its not about money,it's all about money."...
Old 07-21-2015, 12:25 PM   #6
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
It took 7 days to lower the flag.

Y was not the white house lit up at nite with RED, WHITE AND BLUE on the 4th of July.
And some patriotic face paint. I mean at least Obama could have had a flag on one cheek and a firework blast on the other.

WTF is going on???
Old 07-21-2015, 03:05 PM   #7
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

Lights on White House who cares really Marines murdered on home soil flag should have been dropped to half mast when it happened. He seems to be fairly aloof to these things.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 07-21-2015, 04:51 PM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
Lights on White House who cares really Marines murdered on home soil flag should have been dropped to half mast when it happened. He seems to be fairly aloof to these things.
I think it shows exactly how radical and out-of-touch he is. I bet less than 10% of Americans are offended by lowering the flag to honor these victims. However small and deranged this minority is, he is clearly in it. Unbelievable that we elected this guy.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:38 PM   #9
Sea Dangles

How could that offend anybody? I am guessing that even Spence,who is as unpatriotic as they come, would be fine with such a gesture.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:54 PM   #10
Nebe

the logic could be that it would signal that if you want a reaction from the president, go out and kill some service members.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:26 PM   #11
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
the logic could be that it would signal that if you want a reaction from the president, go out and kill some service members.
Come on. You think he chose not to do it (until he was shamed into doing it today) to keep us safer? Why didn't he say that? And if that was his motive, why did he eventually lower the flag?
Old 07-21-2015, 07:30 PM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
How could that offend anybody? I am guessing that even Spence,who is as unpatriotic as they come, would be fine with such a gesture.
It offends Obama, or he would have done it immediately. He has no interest in being the commander in chief of a military, particularly in time of war. These guys represent that group, that Obama detests, who cling to their guns and religion because they are racist and otherwise flawed.

He has zero interest, zero, in being the leader of people with traditional values. Bill Clinton knew that once he was in office it was his duty to represent everybody, and he tried hard at it. This guy couldn't care less, and his refusal to lower the flag, is irrefutable proof of that.

Think of the company you are in, if you are offended at the thought of lowering the flag to honor these guys.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:35 PM   #13
Sea Dangles

Meanwhile
Flags have been appropriately lowered
Old 07-22-2015, 05:30 AM   #14
Jim in CT

Quote:
Meanwhile
Flags have been appropriately lowered
I'm not sure I'd use the word "appropriately", when at the White House, they were only lowered after days of outcry, and were shamed into doing it by governors who, unlike Obama, are not part of the genuine lunatic fringe in this country.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:52 AM   #15
Jim in CT

When SCOTUS issued their gay marriage ruling, within a few hours, the White House was awash in rainbow lights. Obama ordered this spiking of the football, despite the fact that a huge number of Americans hated what the Court did, and last time I checked, Obama is supposed to represent us, too. He's not supposed to stick his tongue out at us and say "nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah, we win"..

This issue with the flag at half mast, isn't considered controversial by any meaningful number of people, and the ones who are bothered by it, are deranged. Yet he refused to do it for 5 days.

I can't think of more compelling evidence of where this guy's values lie, and how utterly at odds his values are, with those of so many Americans.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:33 PM   #16
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Come on. You think he chose not to do it (until he was shamed into doing it today) to keep us safer? Why didn't he say that? And if that was his motive, why did he eventually lower the flag?
One thing for sure, he's not clueless and has a reason to do everything
he does for his own agenda and legacy. Imho he never did ,nor ever will
represent anybody except himself.

" Choose Life "
Old 07-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #17
spence

You guys are funny. This probably all comes down to a staffer not suggesting it sooner. And you make it into the devil's work…muhahhaahhahahahaha

As an aside. Several months ago I noticed my neighbor having left his flag out all winter continued to fly it in tatters. Not just a little frayed mind you but completely shredded. After politely asking him to take it down he begrudgingly replaced it with a new flag.

Recently he's been doing other stuff that the neighbors find offensive. I'm not going to get into it here. I did call him out on it of course.

So I just noticed this afternoon the shredded Old Glory flying off his deck just for spite.

This conversation should be interesting.

Last edited by spence; 07-22-2015 at 05:00 PM..
Old 07-22-2015, 05:56 PM   #18
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Well, at least he is not burning it in spite (rather than a proper burial ceremony).

Next time you bring it up with him, offer to him that someone you know will gladly take the tattered flag off his hands and burn it in a proper Flag Retirement ceremony with our Boy Scout troop. We have several flag ceremonies per year on camping trips. The grommets are given as tokens to military and various veterans organizations.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 07-22-2015, 06:08 PM   #19
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Well, at least he is not burning it in spite (rather than a proper burial ceremony).

Next time you bring it up with him, offer to him that someone you know will gladly take the tattered flag off his hands and burn it in a proper Flag Retirement ceremony with our Boy Scout troop. We have several flag ceremonies per year on camping trips. The grommets are given as tokens to military and various veterans organizations.
It was a good opportunity to discuss with my 11 year old proper flag etiquette again.

I'll bring that up as an option. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:28 PM   #20
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
You guys are funny. This probably all comes down to a staffer not suggesting it sooner. And you make it into the devil's work…muhahhaahhahahahaha
Any one of them could have looked like his son.....

Sorry, I ain't buying what you're selling there.......he completely #^&#^&#^&#^&-ing dropped the ball there and has No Excuse.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 07-22-2015, 06:51 PM   #21
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Sorry, I ain't buying what you're selling there.......he completely #^&#^&#^&#^&-ing dropped the ball there and has No Excuse.
I think to make that argument you'd need more data. How often is the flag lowered for recent events? How long does it usually take? Is this an anomaly or just usual business?

As Dangles noted, I'm all for honoring our fallen service members, but to claim this is an intentional diss should require some proof. Otherwise it's just partisan hay making, which may be even worse...
Old 07-22-2015, 07:09 PM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:

As an aside. Several months ago I noticed my neighbor having left his flag out all winter continued to fly it in tatters. Not just a little frayed mind you but completely shredded. After politely asking him to take it down he begrudgingly replaced it with a new flag.

Recently he's been doing other stuff that the neighbors find offensive. I'm not going to get into it here. I did call him out on it of course.

So I just noticed this afternoon the shredded Old Glory flying off his deck just for spite.

This conversation should be interesting.
"This probably all comes down to a staffer not suggesting it sooner"

Right, these things would never occur to, say, the commander-in-chief of the guys who were killed. He was THEIR commander in chief. He needs a staffer to tell him it's a good idea to pay tribute to those killed on his watch? You know what, you're probably right, he probably is incapable of coming up with that on his own, something so simple and thoughtful and obvious.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:10 PM   #23
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Any one of them could have looked like his son.....

Obviously...
Old 07-22-2015, 07:20 PM   #24
Sea Dangles

Spence can be his own worst enemy in discussions involving Obama. What he considers a sharp retort becomes awkwardly self serving. You do have to wonder what goes on in Obamas head in what seems to be an obvious slap to our servicemen. I sympathize with his legacy.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:47 PM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:
You do have to wonder what goes on in Obamas head in what seems to be an obvious slap to our servicemen.
Same thing that went on in his head sitting in Rev Wrights "church" for 20 years. Obviously, he genuinely despises what you'd call traditional, middle American values. Obama has no use for, nor can he begin to relate to, anyone unlike himself.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #26
spence

Quote:
Spence can be his own worst enemy in discussions involving Obama. What he considers a sharp retort becomes awkwardly self serving. You do have to wonder what goes on in Obamas head in what seems to be an obvious slap to our servicemen. I sympathize with his legacy.
You exemplify my last post, good work.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:21 PM   #27
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
You guys are funny. This probably all comes down to a staffer not suggesting it sooner.
Yeah Spence, that's gotta be it. His lowering the Flag person couldn't reach him
while he was playing golf the next day.
Marines attacked on our own soil and it takes 5 days for the staffer to reach him to give him the news.
Prolly read it in the newspaper.

Last edited by justplugit; 07-22-2015 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: spelling

" Choose Life "
Old 07-22-2015, 08:29 PM   #28
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Yeah Spence, that's gotta be it. His lowering the Flag person couldn't reach him
while he was playing golf the next day.
Marines attacked on our own soil and it takes 5 days for the staffer to reach him to give him the news.
Prolly read it in the newspaper.
I think that with how much the most powerful person in the world has to deal with on a daily basis, perseverance on the height of our flags is likely left to other people.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:35 PM   #29
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
I think that with how much the most powerful person in the world has to deal with on a daily basis, perseverance on the height of our flags is likely left to other people.
With his supposed brilliance it should have been a given.
He can't chew gum and walk at the same time?

" Choose Life "
Old 07-23-2015, 06:21 AM   #30
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
I think to make that argument you'd need more data. How often is the flag lowered for recent events? How long does it usually take? Is this an anomaly or just usual business?

As Dangles noted, I'm all for honoring our fallen service members, but to claim this is an intentional diss should require some proof. Otherwise it's just partisan hay making, which may be even worse...
Washington Navy Yard Shooting - Sept 16 - Flag ordered lowered Sept 17 = 24 hours

Fort Hood Shooting - November 5 - Flag Ordered lowered November 6 = 24 Hours

Boston Marathon Bombing - April 15 - Flag Ordered Lowered on April 16 = 24 Hours

Newtown Shooting - December 14 - Flag Ordered Lowered on December 14 = less that 24 hours

Benghazi Attack - Sept 11 - Flag Lowered on Sept 12 = 24 Hours

Oak Creek Sikh Temple Shooting - Aug 5 - Flag Ordered Lowered Aug 6 = 24 Hours

Aurora Colorado Shooting - July 20 - Flag Ordered Lowered on July 20 = Less than 24 Hours

Tucson Arizona Shooting - Jan 8 - Flag Ordered Lowered on Jan 9 = 24 Hours

is that a good enough sample to show the time frame for such orders.....and does this blow the "Business as Usual" theory out of the water.

I also didn't say it was an Intentional Diss.....I said, and I quote, "he completely #^&#^&#^&#^&-ing dropped the ball there and has No Excuse."

and as much as I don't want to sound like Jim....Try and make that wrong

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."