Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

BREAKING NEWS

Obama pardoned the White House Turkey!

Just after he did this the Attorney General released a statement that there was a confusion with the birth certificates and he actually pardoned himself.

More at 11
Old 11-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
Nebe

And the secret service is investigating salty for deflamation of the united states flag
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-15-2010, 09:12 PM   #3
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
And the secret service is investigating salty for deflamation of the united states flag
Teeechnically it IS violating flag code.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 11-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

He's goin on vacation again too.

Analysis: Europe is next test for weakened Obama | Reuters

Can't wait to see how Spence will twist this one
Old 11-16-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Some vacation Scott. Fresh-air. the fumes are messing w/ you....

"Obama, who visited Europe six times in his first year, is dashing to Lisbon for little more than 24 hours on the ground after conducting a 10-day four-country tour of Asia."

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 11-16-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Did I miss something, what where his big setbacks in Asia? The SK trade deal?

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 11-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Did I miss something, what where his big setbacks in Asia? The SK trade deal?
A lack of support from US Citizens
Old 11-16-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
thats what happens when you dont listen. This aint Harvard.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #9
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

ohhh - an article from my favorite democrat explains....

Obama Cowers on World Stage
Tuesday, 16 Nov 2010 08:08 AM Article Font Size
By Edward Koch

President Obama traveled to Asia last week seeking to make a big splash and bring home trade agreements that help American exports.

Notwithstanding the election debacle at home, many observers still believed the president was hugely popular abroad.

The arrival of the Obama entourage in India appeared to confirm that the president and first lady still dominate the world stage. Their willingness to join the fun and get up and dance with Indian youth at a Hindu holiday celebration set a very attractive and nice Democratic motif. His smile is still dazzling. Her dancing was magnificent. But ultimately, no special trade concessions came from the India visit.

In fact, the president’s whole trip consisted of one fiasco after another. He was in Asia to help achieve a better trade balance with many of our trading partners, particularly China, with which the trade is unacceptably lopsided in their favor. However, he was rebuffed time and again.

The president asked our ally, South Korea, to sign a trade agreement, originally negotiated by President Bush, that would help level the playing field for our exports.

South Korea refused, notwithstanding President Obama’s entreaties to South Korea’s president, Lee Myung-bak.

Perhaps the president should have whispered in President Lee’s ear, “Tomorrow, the first contingent of U.S. troops will be given marching orders to leave South Korea.” Why do we put our young men and women in harm’s way to defend South Korea when that country declines to treat us fairly on trade?

While the president did not go to North Korea which has refused to talk with the U.S. and others about giving up the nuclear bomb, The New York Times on Nov. 12 conveyed a new retreat on our part with its headline, “Obama shifts tone to draw North Korea back to talks.”

Where did all the goodies go that South Korea and the U.S. previously provided to North Korea? How many times do we have to buy North Korea’s cooperation simply to engage in discussions?

North Korea knows that because of our continued involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan (we now plan to stay in the latter until 2014), we don’t have the military strength and more importantly, the will to actually engage them militarily. Because of the veto of North Korea’s ally and protector, China, the U.N. Security Council would not even name North Korea as responsible for torpedoing — with a torpedo made in China — a South Korean naval vessel, killing 47 South Korean sailors.

China poses the most serious danger to us economically. The world's largest country has steadfastly refused to consider narrowing our huge adverse balance of trade with them.

On top of that, the Chinese have become our largest creditor. They are funding much of our rising national debt and if they stopped or sold off our Treasury notes and bonds, the results could be calamitous. Another dramatic failure.

While Obama was in Asia, the Iraqi government beset by near daily suicide bomber attacks against civilians, sought to forge a national unity government of Shiites, Sunnis, and Kurds.

The U.S. beseeched the Shiites to be accommodating to the Sunnis, the latter comprising 20 percent of the population and having run Iraq under Saddam Hussein.

The American ambassador, James F. Jeffrey, was in the negotiating room when a deal was struck to form a coalition government. But, according to the Times, “Only three hours into a parliamentary session called on Thursday to begin the process of approving an agreement on a new unity government, a member of the alliance led by the former prime minister Ayad Allawi [leader of the Sunnis, although himself a secular Shiite] walked out in protest.”

Well, you can’t win them all. But how about winning some, especially when we have expended blood and treasure for seven years in Iraq and still have 50,000 combat troops there who are expected to stay indefinitely?

While Iraq teeters on the brink of civil war, Iran continues to move ever closer to developing its own nuclear bomb and already has the missiles to deliver it as far as Europe and Israel, which it has repeatedly pledged to destroy.

Iran views the Obama administration's policy of "soft power" as confirmation that we are a paper tiger unable and unwilling to confront the mullahs militarily.

However, the worst personal blow to President Obama must have been the repudiation by Britain and Germany of the way he is dealing with the Great Recession.

The president’s approach is to spend his way out of it, while the British and Germans approach is deficit reduction. And they have not been shy about lecturing him publicly on the subject.

Also, the G-20 meeting in South Korea spurned his request for a joint binding monetary policy. Our allies think it is hypocritical of the U.S. to demand that China stop manipulating its currency while we print money and engage in U.S. dollar manipulations.

Oh, there was one moment of thunderous applause for the president. It was in Indonesia, the country with the world’s largest Muslim population, and the president's boyhood home, when he denounced Israel shortly before leaving the country.

Well, you take your victories where you can find them.

The failure of the president’s Asian trip reminded me of the debacle that was Eva Peron’s last trip to Europe, as captured by the following lyrics from the musical “Evita.”

Now, I don’t like to spoil a wonderful story
But the news from Rome isn’t quite as good
She hasn’t gone down like they thought she would
Italy’s unconvinced by Argentine glory
Face the facts, the Rainbow’s starting to fade
I don’t think she’ll make it to England now

But it was the Times on Nov. 12 that said it best: “President Obama’s hopes of emerging from his Asia trip with the twin victories of a free trade agreement with South Korea and a unified approach to spurring economic growth around the world ran into resistance on all fronts on Thursday, putting Mr. Obama at odds with his key allies and largest trading partners.

"The most concrete trophy expected to emerge from the trip eluded his grasp: a long-delayed free trade agreement with South Korea, first negotiated by the Bush administration and then reopened by Mr. Obama, to have greater protections for American workers.”

Old 11-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
scottw

I don't know why this is surprising to anyone...

if you own a company and you hire a new CEO that you believe is quite smart because he reads a teleprompter masterfully and he makes you feel good about yourself and you can show everyone how open-minded you are because he is dark skinned and you ignore the fact that he has spent most of his life time railing against your company, the principles on which is was founded and the greed and insolence with which it supposedly operates...should you really be shocked when your brilliant new CEO runs your company into the ground?

POTUS "White man's greed runs a world in need"
FLOTUS "America is a downright mean place"

how quickly we forget

Last edited by scottw; 11-16-2010 at 12:55 PM..
Old 11-16-2010, 12:50 PM   #11
FishermanTim

When his a$$ gets booted out in 2012, he will look back and laugh, knowing that he got to take more vacations in 4 years than most "hard working citizens" do their entire life.....and WE PAID FOR THEM ALL!!!
Old 11-16-2010, 01:37 PM   #12
scottw

Quote:
or the fawning press

President Barack Obama is peeved with the American press. They never say "thank you," he whined to journalists in Japan on Monday.
According to the pool report from the press conference, one reporter said "Thank you, Mr. President." Someone said the reporter was Australian.
"I knew it must have been an Australian because my folks never say thank you," Obama said.
At that, the entire American pool said in unison -- admittedly with a bit of sarcasm -- "Thank you, Mr. President."