Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » GoTight.Net Forum

GoTight.Net Forum Home of the Surfcaster's Classic

View Poll Results: Extend Sunday hours?
Yes 9 56.25%
No 7 43.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
Ian
Idiot

Petition for Rule Change

I would like to officially request that the Sunday hours be extended to midnight. My partner and I both work 5 days a week and Sundays are one of those days that allow me to slip away for the evening to catch some fish. Having guys capable of fishing all day Thursday but having to end early on Sunday seems like an unnecessary handicap for people whose schedules don't allow consistent weekday fishing...

The artist formerly known as Scratch59.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I agree
Sunday is still weekend
wouldn't bother me if Thursday morning was not considered weekend either

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
Canalman
Calling Jon The Fisherman

Let me think about it

Surf Asylum Lures, Custom Lures for the "Committed"
Official S-B Sponsor
Canalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
GregW
Secretsquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canalman View Post
Let me think about it
If we are going to change times, I wish Thursday could go to 12:01 instead of 4:30. I prefer to fish nights before the day time googans get out of bed.

Btw- is there a reason it isn't all week?
GregW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
tysdad115

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If we are going to change times, I wish Thursday could go to 12:01 instead of 4:30. I prefer to fish nights before the day time googans get out of bed.

Btw- is there a reason it isn't all week?
I agree. The sunrise monsters have no problem getting up and making it for 4:30 ,when the rest of us have been out all night.
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
Canalman

The reason that it doesn't go all week is because I need to have some down time to catch up every week!

The reason why I didn't start it at midnight Thursday is because it would be too easy to enter a fish caught at say... 10 p.m. Wed, in the Thursday morning pics it's not full-dark so I can tell that the fish were caught when the metadata says it was.

The good news is I'm working with a programmer who is going to make the fish submission process pretty-much fully automated so next year I will probably be able to open it up for the whole week.

Believe me, if I was going to tailor this to my habits the week would run Monday-Thurs, but I know that most people fish weekends so I wanted to make it work for everyone.

And I'm reluctant to move the finish time back to midnight Sunday for the same reason I don't want to start it midnight Thur...

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 06-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Canalman

I'd be more likely to bend on the Thursday start time, rather than the Sunday finish time. If I move the Sunday finish back, then I'm doing all the tallying, posting, photo editing, etc on Monday, when I'm supposed to be doing real work.

But I'm still leaning toward leaving it as-is for now.

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 06-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
smk379
smk379

Quote:
I'd be more likely to bend on the Thursday start time, rather than the Sunday finish time. If I move the Sunday finish back, then I'm doing all the tallying, posting, photo editing, etc on Monday, when I'm supposed to be doing real work.

But I'm still leaning toward leaving it as-is for now.

Im with you all the way with this. Moving the Sunday finish time to midnight would really kinda screw you there. I like being able to see the final results and everything before I go to bed sunday night as well. Hell, I wouldn't mind if the finish time for sunday was changed to sunrise, then you could probably do every update to the site and everything before the end of the day. After pulling a few all nighters in a row I'm not really too sure many people fish during the day on sunday anyways. Plus, most normal people return to work monday and would enjoy a night of rest after giving it all they had for 4 nights straight.

Now Thursday is fine the way it is, not counting it as a weekend day or starting the tournament on Friday I think is just out of the question. I do like starting it at midnight but then you would have to worry about people entering fish from 10 pm wednesday.

If it were up to me I would start it Wednesday at sunset, run it till Sunday at sunrise. But other than that, leave it as it is.

"There is very little luck in fishing. Luck is when you and your buddy catch 3 fish each, and his heaviest is 5 pounds bigger than yours. Skill is knowing when, how and where to catch those six fish" -Sherwood Lincoln
smk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #9
smk379
smk379

Im not sure about running each tournament for the full week either, that might be a little much. If each one is 3 or 4 days long it allows guys to go balls to the walls for 4 nights straight but then still be able to get a night or two of rest without loosing there jobs or wives lol. Plus you do need a little time to get all those updates done and set up for the next one.

Maybe ill start a new poll - Weds @ sunset through Sun @ sunrise

....or just leave it be!

"There is very little luck in fishing. Luck is when you and your buddy catch 3 fish each, and his heaviest is 5 pounds bigger than yours. Skill is knowing when, how and where to catch those six fish" -Sherwood Lincoln
Old 06-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
JLH

As it stands now there are almost 4 full days of fishing and only 3 nights. It seems that teams with easy access to certain areas that feature a good daytime or first light bite benefit from the rules as they stand. Adding another night or moving the start time on Thursday to sunset would help even things out.
JLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #11
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
A wise man once said...."You can please some of the people some of the time....but you can't please all of the people all of the time!" Words to live by!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
smk379
smk379

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
A wise man once said...."You can please some of the people some of the time....but you can't please all of the people all of the time!" Words to live by!

Old 06-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #13
tysdad115

Whatever you do, it's a fine job. Thanks again Dave, it's a fun tournament to be in. When do you think you will have a Youth division update ? I know a kid that looks every day...
Old 06-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #14
JLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysdad115 View Post
Whatever you do, it's a fine job. Thanks again Dave, it's a fun tournament to be in
Agreed!
JLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #15
Grampa Greg

Send a message via AIM to Grampa Greg
Dave is a busy guy and he is doing this all on his own. Leave it be. Next year will be different.

GG
Grampa Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #16
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysdad115 View Post
Whatever you do, it's a fine job. Thanks again Dave, it's a fun tournament to be in.
Totally agree. I just figured it never hurts to ask

Having a blast in the current format.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #17
GregW
Secretsquirrel

Quote:

The reason why I didn't start it at midnight Thursday is because it would be too easy to enter a fish caught at say... 10 p.m. Wed, in the Thursday morning pics it's not full-dark so I can tell that the fish were caught when the metadata says it was.
Dave, Just playing devil's advocate here, but what would stop that same unscrupulous person from catching the fish at sundown on Wednesday and entering it as a Thursday morning catch?
I think unfortunately cheaters will cheat.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #18
tysdad115

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Dave, Just playing devil's advocate here, but what would stop that same unscrupulous person from catching the fish at sundown on Wednesday and entering it as a Thursday morning catch?
I think unfortunately cheaters will cheat.
Thats easy to tell , from Monday -Wednesday I only catch 48"+ fish....starting Thursday morning I only catch 32-33" f^ck!ng fish!!!
Old 06-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #19
Canalman

I'm watching you Greg

I know there's always a loophole.. but I'm sticking by my guns on this... Out of 70 participants less than 10 want this changed. For now, things are staying as-is.

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 06-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #20
GregW
Secretsquirrel

Quote:

I know there's always a loophole.. but I'm sticking by my guns on this... Out of 70 participants less than 10 want this changed. For now, things are staying as-is.

Understandable, I think we all wish the days and times were the ones that fit our schedule best. Just throwing ideas out there.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #21
Higgie

Dave what's the most convenient way for us to submit our fish?? Through email or the submission page of the tournament website?? Thanks again for running this your doing a great job.

Rich
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Higgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #22
djlesco

Dave obviously not everyone can be pleased... example i have a teammate who runs a resturant but we understand this isn't your only task. With that being said I would encourage you to keep this tournament going as I think it's great for the competitive natured fisherman as well as a cornerstone to future tournaments thay shouldn't be killing fish for prize... heck u don't see a shoot and release hunting tournament ..
I feel that (if not already in place) you compile a team/ committee to help relieve the hardwork that goes into this.
djlesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #23
Canalman

Higgie,

The best way to enter a fish is through the website.

djlesco - This tourney is here to stay, this is something I really believe in and it's something I've been wanting to do for years, but I've held back until I was sure I had a solid format. Ask JohnR, we've talked about for like 4 years and I've had like 4 or 5 different major revisions to the format. I wanted to make it so no one else could do it better. And next year, this thing is going to blow your mind... you'll see.

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 06-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #24
Canalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLH View Post
As it stands now there are almost 4 full days of fishing and only 3 nights. It seems that teams with easy access to certain areas that feature a good daytime or first light bite benefit from the rules as they stand. Adding another night or moving the start time on Thursday to sunset would help even things out.

I didn't see this yesterday...

Best case I've heard. The only thing is... the place with the topwater morning bite you're referring to has off tides on Thursdays this year

In case you can't tell, I'm still not solid in my decision to keep it as-is...

Thinking...

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 06-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #25
smk379
smk379

Weds sunset - Sunday 8am
Old 06-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #26
djlesco

Glad to be a part of it now and the future. Anything I can do let me know.
Dj
djlesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #27
scottw

something that made it much faster for me to post results on the website was to use pics with lower resolution...not having all of the tech skills in this area, the fastest way for me accomplish this was to stick the card into the computer and open Microsoft Powerpoint....insert the image in power Point and then save as a JPEG...this somehow reduces the size of the file considerably.....instead of waiting forever for the images to load up when sending them over to the GO Tight site it is now extremely quick....don't know if that will help anyone but maybe...good luck to everyone this weekend!
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #28
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

If I was to favor any sort of adjustment on the hours of the tourney I would only suggest dialing the Sunday cut-off back to sunrise range for reasons similar to what JLH said above and make it 3 days and 3 nights. There is no need to have extra daytime hours in a surf fishing contest!

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #29
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlapinski View Post
If I was to favor any sort of adjustment on the hours of the tourney I would only suggest dialing the Sunday cut-off back to sunrise range for reasons similar to what JLH said above and make it 3 days and 3 nights. There is no need to have extra daytime hours in a surf fishing contest!
I would vote for this idea.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #30
Redsoxticket

Each team selects their own three consecutive day weekend for the entirety of the tourney.
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote