Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 04-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #1
dannyplug1

Spook help

I am working on a big spook it is 1 1/2 at the widest point and 7" long. It weighs 2.5 oz. I would like it to glide better. I got the body shape by increasing a spook that I liked and increased it by 40%. I put a belly weight and a tail weight. I was testing it, it has anice porpoise action ( goes down and pops up hrough the surface). If I change out one or more of the trebles to undressed singles will the plug glide better wit the reduction of drag from the trebles? I was also thinking about reducing the width of the plug along the entire length of he plug. I know its a confusing set of questions. But it boils down to this how do I improve the glide of a spook? Thanks charlie
dannyplug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:54 PM   #2
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

A little larger front end dia. wise tapering to a smaller tail dia. may help, like a howdy. That only has a tail weight also and glides very nicely. I have made larger ones and get same result. The action instilled by the fisherman is important too. Much prefer any spook type plugs fished by boat so rod tip can be pointed down inches from the water and max glide can be made. I am not a big fan of spooks with rod tip up high. I'd rather use a pencil but that is just me.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
dannyplug1

correct angle of a spook

Paul, what is the correct angle for the spook? I was looking at my other spooks and they all rest in the water at a45 degree angle. the one I am working on has a couple of test holes so I can get ti to rest at 45 degree angle is this the right angle for making the spook glide or pop out of the water like a Polaris sub? charlie
dannyplug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #4
wrikerjr

There are alternative spook styles than the Howdy or Lordship agitator and each have different angles. The Howdy and Agitator are great plugs. I just prefer a different style. Like the Tattoo Sea Dog or Sea Pup. This means the angle will be different for the different styles.

Additionally, many people will say a plug should be x degrees or sit a certain way. You never know, always experiment and perhaphs you will come up with a better action or one that better fits your fishing style and condition.

I prefer a straight body with a front and back taper. I weight them behind the belly hook and 2/3 or the way back from the belly hook. I lower the lip tie on the front and leave a flat face, I want them to sit at a 15 to 20 degree angle in the water. It's a very effective walk the dog plug. I teach my nieces and nephews on this plug and they can do it very effectively. Its an easy build, every year I build the plug with my nephews cub scout class. Most of the kids can walk the dog with the plug and have caught fish on them.

I also have a norris squid copy that I walk the dog with very effectively. Its overkill design wise for a spook, but very effective, this one sits about 30 degrees in the water. Its a slightly larger body and the 30 degrees helps. It can be fished from the front and back and I've taken fish from both ends during the same trip.
wrikerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:43 PM   #5
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
To me its not as much what angle the spook sits at in the water as it is what the lure does when it is being fished! At rest as far as I am concerned means zero. If you can weight the lure appropriately and then achieve the desired action when it is in motion that should be your focus.

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #6
wader-dad

I just have to say what a great resource SB is.

Here is Charley and he asks a question and he gets advice from Paul, Larry and Billy. Really is a tremendous benefit to plug builders and everyone else.
wader-dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Also it shows that many builders do things very differently to achieve their end result. It has been said many times.....build several different prototypes and try different weighting scenarios in order to find what it is you are trying to do! There really is no "single way" to do anything!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:33 PM   #8
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I couldn't agree more with Lawrence there are many different ways to get to the end result and also anglers
have different ideas on how they want the plug to preform. I guess that is why we build plugs so we can try to get the plug the way we want and not what someone else wants it to be. That being said I can always be influenced by someone else take on the plug and how they fish it, action. I always have an open mind with this stuff. There are as many ways to fish a plug as there are ways to build it. Good luck and let us know what you come up with.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #9
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I also will say that the way a plug sits in the water will give you a ball park indication of how the plug will function so it is a somewhat good starting point to work from most of the time for me anyway so I am not going to say ignore that fact just that you will have to do some manipulating of weights and the way you work the plug, action, to get what you want.