Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks

How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks How-To's, Tips & Tricks plus Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) **** Please Do Not Start Discussions or Ask New Questions in Here **** This is for popular Threads To be moved here for easy access & discussion. Post all new questions in main Stripertalk Forum

Old 07-27-2007, 10:52 PM   #1
ivanputski
Pete K.

bunker livelining mishap

Out in the kayak in CT and came upon massive schools of LARGE bunker... no bluefish around... snagged a few, and tried livelining... once with a 7/0 single bait hool, and 2 other thime with a treble through the nose... stripers in the 33" range took the bunker, and after about 5 seconds, I got anxious and tried to set the hook, and just yaked the bait right out of its mouth... Very very frustrating, esecially since I saw one with my bait in its mout about 6 feet away from me... When A bass takes a large live bunker, should I free spool it ? How much time should I give it before setting? Maybe I should be using a much larger treble than I was... or a circle? Damn I blew it... Im going back monday hoping to see bunker and bass... any help would, eh... help. Thanks!
ivanputski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:37 AM   #2
bigbuck28

Once the bait is in the basses mouth you chould be able to get a got solid hook in. You can give them around 5-10 seconds and then really lay into them. You have to rip that hook threw the bait and into the basses head. You might want to try a slightly larger hook..Good luck and go get em again!!!
bigbuck28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:29 PM   #3
teezer

I have found that a huge hook set does not work with the treble. Just come tight and add a small hook set.
teezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
BillyBlanks

Send a message via AIM to BillyBlanks
I have a Shimano Bait Runner which has a second drag for live lining. It lets the bunker run almost free on the secondary drag, and lets the bass run with it till you turn the handle and click into the primary drag. Caught a nice 30#er in a very similar situation to the one you just described. I let it run for about 5-10 seconds and then clicked it over and burried it in the side of his mouth. Be careful you don't wait too long or you'll gut hook him for sure.
BillyBlanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:21 PM   #5
Gunpowder
Fish Hound

Send a message via ICQ to Gunpowder Send a message via AIM to Gunpowder
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBlanks View Post
Be careful you don't wait too long or you'll gut hook him for sure.
hopefully its a her

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart.....pursue those."
Gunpowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:23 PM   #6
BillyBlanks

Send a message via AIM to BillyBlanks
HAHA Good point.......
BillyBlanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:36 AM   #7
stripersnipr

I always hook them with a 6/0 Gami LB lunder the dorsal. When the bass picks him up, I take a slow five count and reel back fast. Very few drops.

The beatings will continue until morale improves
stripersnipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:50 AM   #8
triton8273

Always hook a live bunker directly behind the dorsal. You should be using a 9/0 gami or mustad, this will expose more of the hook instead of burying it in the bunker. The reason you are pulling the bunker right out of the bass' mouth is because you are not trying to go off of the tail beat, when you have a live bunker on your line you can feel that distinctive tail beat and you know that the bass has truly taken the entire bunker is when you no longer feel the tail beat.

And just as bigbuck had said, when that happens you have to really lay into them to get the hook out of the bunker and into their head.

Good Luck and Tight Lines,

Kyle
Northeast Angling
www.neangling.com
triton8273 is offline   Reply With Quote