Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
It is embarrassing. But he is damned no matter what he does. If he did nothing.. he's viewed as a weak president. If he acts, he is kicking us back into the cold war... no win here...

its better to have a huge mystery to distract everyone, like a missing plane.
He needs to stop making threats he can't back up. The three idiots should just keep their mouth shut.
His policies are all over the place. We arm Al Qaeda, but we can't send arms to the Ukrainians. His spoken words make matters worse .
I agree stay out of it .
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #2
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
He needs to stop making threats he can't back up. The three idiots should just keep their mouth shut.
His policies are all over the place. We arm Al Qaeda, but we can't send arms to the Ukrainians. His spoken words make matters worse .
I agree stay out of it .
Be specific.

-spence
Old 03-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #3
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Be specific.

-spence
In Obamas world this is specific
Old 03-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #4
spence

Quote:
In Obamas world this is specific
We said we'd work with the EU to impose sanctions and that's exactly what happened. It's an annoyance more than anything but there's not a lot we can do short-term.

It's a great opportunity to make fun of the President though, keep up the good work

-spence
Old 03-18-2014, 10:46 AM   #5
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

It's not making fun of the President, It's looking at the Administrations Policy
failures and misjudgments.

" Choose Life "
Old 03-18-2014, 11:17 AM   #6
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
It's not making fun of the President, It's looking at the Administrations Policy
What specific Obama Administration policy is a failure? If anything this represents a lack of long-term strategy to contain Russia's influence.

-spence
Old 03-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #7
buckman

Quote:
What specific Obama Administration policy is a failure? If anything this represents a lack of long-term strategy to contain Russia's influence.

-spence
Nobody got time for dat !
It would take hours
Old 03-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
Nebe

Quote:

-spence
Let's make this easier.

What Obama policy is a failure because of republican obstruction and would have been a success if bipartisan agreement encouraged success?
Old 03-20-2014, 11:35 AM   #9
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
I think Spence is prob. still waiting for you to tell use about the failures and misjudgements.

I'd also like to hear what Pres. Obama should have done differently re Ukraine. And also pls. contrast that with what Pres. Bush did about the Russian invasion of Georgia so we can see the difference.

Thanks
Old 03-20-2014, 12:40 PM   #10
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I think Spence is prob. still waiting for you to tell use about the failures and misjudgements.

I'd also like to hear what Pres. Obama should have done differently re Ukraine. And also pls. contrast that with what Pres. Bush did about the Russian invasion of Georgia so we can see the difference.

Thanks
Not much difference (some probably not worth mentioning), certainly not in the outcome. And, since there is so little meaningful difference, the outcome was, predictably, the same. Putin understood that there would be little difference and he got the similar outcome that he knew he would get. Except what he learned enabled him to achieve that outcome much easier. The Georgian invasion actually involved war and physical losses. But, knowing that Obama wouldn't act differently than Bush, it was no difficult task to take Crimea.

One would hope that wise administrations would learn from the lessons of history. Putin did. The EU, Ukraine, the U.S., apparently, didn't.

What could Obama (the U.S.), the EU, and the Ukraine have done differently. A great deal. But that would have required a correct view of the situation, and the will to use overwhelming force against Putin's force. But that is SOOOO not 21st century. (Bush used the exact words that Kerry used--"such action is unacceptable in the 21st. century." The West used diplomacy in the Georgian thing. They choose to do the same in the Ukraine situation. Oh yeah, that was tried before WWI and WWII. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is . . .

War is hell. Either go in to the max, or don't go in at all. If you don't stand up to aggression, aggression will win. Maybe it's different now. Maybe the New World Order will seduce Russia, and China, and the Middle East, and All of Africa, and . . . to join in the economic love-fest. That is possible. Maybe not just yet. A few ethnic and religious squabbles to settle first. Like Spence says, we need a unified long term strategy. DAMN but its hard to get everybody to give up their little personality and melt into the great kumbaya.

In the meantime, Bush was an idiot and Obama is brilliant . . . and there is so little difference in much of what they do/did . . .

Bush-did-it-too, but Obama will do it better.

I hope so . . . or not. There is, in my opinion, a flaw in their fundamentals, if they have them. But the 21st century somehow is this living entity that has progressed out of war and divisive differences. It is the century in which we will all be "united," in which differences will be abolished, in which we will all be peacefully free to do those things, the rather few things, that will be left to do.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #11
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post

Thanks
Paul, I'll answer Spence after he answers the 4 or 5 of my questions directed to him that he failed to answer over the past few months. You must have missed my post complimenting Debuch on his summary of the policy failures leading up to Ukraine. My summary would be no different.
When it comes to what's happening now in the Ukraine vs what Bush did in
Georgia I'll say "What difference does it make." It's history vs the present that needs a Leader to solve the present problem.
It won't be solved by the President spending time on the Ellen DeGeneres
show trying to sell Obamacare.

Last edited by justplugit; 03-20-2014 at 04:34 PM..

" Choose Life "
Old 03-18-2014, 10:38 AM   #12
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
I agree stay out of it .
That's exactly what Putin planned all along after sizing up the administration's
actions, laying down red lines without back up, Kerry saying "sanctions would not be personal to Putin", and all the way back to the apology tour.
The statement by the President that because we are not in the 19th century and things have changed since, is so naïve. Human nature has never changed from day one. POWER will always be the ultimate goal.
Heard a statement the other day, "it's the KGB vs the PTA."

" Choose Life "