Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 09-27-2007, 04:43 PM   #1
jkjnp

An appreciation story--inspired by Habs

I didn't know Habs, but like many others have certainly been affected by his loss. I have been doing lots of thinking and reading this week about things. It's so obvious by the outpouring of support how well-liked, respected, and generous he was. It is tragic that he is gone and the stories of appreciation are impressive. Sometimes we don't tell people how much we appreciate something they've done until it's too late...I've been meaning to tell this story for a while...

My first full season fishing Nar. Bay was last year (2006) and I really had no idea what I was doing. I'd been to the MSBA & RISSA fishing shows and gone to a couple of seminars which included listening to #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& talk about surf fishing. I fish mainly from a boat, but just wanted to hear him talk.
One day in May I was on the bay, I think I had a white bucktail with a piece of squid and was just drifting and I don't even know what I was fishing for. As I looked around I saw 2 guys in a boat real close to shore. I saw one guy hop out of the boat and onto shore and throw something in the water. 7 minutes later he pulled out a HUGE bass. The boat came back, picked him up and the made another drift and got another HUGE bass.
I had to drive over and check out the situation. As I got close they pulled in another huge bass. I slowly got close enough to the boat to yell "what are they hitting on?" As soon as I looked at the two men in the boat I recognized them both instantly. It was #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& and Clammer. I recognized #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& from the show and Clammer from lurking here all of the previous winter.
Now, they didn't have to show me what they were doing, and #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& certainly didn't have to throw 5 of the live pogies they were using into my livewell. But they Did. And for the next 45 minutes this 27 year old had the time of his life with some LARGE bass.

I have since caught many more large bass at that spot, and others. If it weren't for their generosity and willingness to help an young, inexperienced fisherman out I might still be drifting bucktails where there are no fish...

I just read #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&'s post about how it's been tough to enjoy fishing lately, and I'd imagine more than a few of you who were close to Habs are feeling the same way. Fishing brings people together, inspires friendships and generosity. It seems that Habs was a perfect example of this. So I thought I'd say thank you to #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& and Clammer and just note that no matter whether I'm catching fish or not, I'm always thankful of the opportunity to be on the water. It's going to be a real nice weekend and I'll be out there thinking, fishing, and feeling blessed.

Jonas
jkjnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

Thanks for sharing Jonas.
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:39 PM   #3
Clammer

Jonas //
Nice f $%^&*() story / what ya smokin ???

it wasn,t me / I don,t know No F $%^&*( spots & I don,t F $%^&*( help anyone >>>>> @@@@@@@&&&&&&& #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& fishes from shoRe & only fishes eels :

Nice try ><<><

PS >> don,t let me catch {YOU} in that place that don,t exist :

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:45 PM   #4
missing link

Wickid Pissa

" Happy as a clam at high tide "
missing link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:53 AM   #5
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
Jonas //
Nice f $%^&*() story / what ya smokin ???

it wasn,t me / I don,t know No F $%^&*( spots & I don,t F $%^&*( help anyone >>>>> @@@@@@@&&&&&&& #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& fishes from shoRe & only fishes eels :

Nice try ><<><

PS >> don,t let me catch {YOU} in that place that don,t exist :
If it's where I'm thinking, you guys are both dog food.....

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:06 AM   #6
jkjnp

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
If it's where I'm thinking, you guys are both dog food.....
What are you thinking?.... It's probably not true.

The part of the story I forgot to tell is that I was asked to place a call to a certain friend of Bill's as a witness to the fact that he caught the fish from shore and not from the boat...It cracked me up!
Old 09-28-2007, 08:45 AM   #7
decksweeper

Great Story Jonas.

I bet many people have story's like that. I know I do. I've primarily been fishing the surf and like Jonas, have only been at this for a couple of years. This spring I had an opportunity to get out on the bay which I know nothing about. Knowing and reading about Bill's successes out there I sent him a PM as to where I should be focusing and what to do. He was kind enough to give me some good advice and told me when he'd be there. Sure enough, I went there and did see him and Clammer. I respectfully kept good distance from him and we all caught nice fish. It sucks to hear Bill that you're having such a mixed year and hope things turn around for you. Best of luck with the surgery and hope to see you out there in the spring. I think this week's made us all realize and re-evaluate our priorities should they have been a little out of wack. I don't know Clammer that well and seems like a real character, but his words of "enjoying what you have" is some pretty serious advice. Best of luck to all in the fall and RIP Habs.

Mark
decksweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:29 PM   #8
jkjnp

Quote:
Originally Posted by decksweeper View Post
I bet many people have story's like that. I know I do...
Mark
Thanks for Sharing! Anyone else have an appreciation story??