Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-24-2022, 06:22 AM   #1
Jim in CT

did they arrest the gun yet?

The gun did it, you see. “A shot from an illegal gun” took the life of the heroic cop, not a human scumbag.

I tend to think liberals have some good points on gun control, but it’s stances like this that make we want to send money to the NRA.

a gun, is an inanimate object. It may be an “attractive nuisance” to a child, but an adult has free will and control over their actions.

So so stupid.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/new...-nypd-officers
Old 01-24-2022, 06:55 AM   #2
scottw

it's what they do...SUV's kill a lot of people to...they should all be arrested...

Community stunned after SUV plows into Christmas parade killing 5

5 dead and 40 injured after SUV tore through Waukesha Parade ...

Daily Mail "Washington Post is blasted for claiming that Waukesha tragedy that killed six ‘was caused by an SUV’ - rather than suspect with long criminal history
Washington Post was slammed over language used in a recent article and since-deleted tweet about the Waukesha, Wisconsin massacre
The newspaper placed responsibility on the SUV Darrell Brooks drove during the attack, instead of the career criminal himself"
Old 01-24-2022, 07:12 AM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
it's what they do...SUV's kill a lot of people to...they should all be arrested...

Community stunned after SUV plows into Christmas parade killing 5

5 dead and 40 injured after SUV tore through Waukesha Parade ...

Daily Mail "Washington Post is blasted for claiming that Waukesha tragedy that killed six ‘was caused by an SUV’ - rather than suspect with long criminal history
Washington Post was slammed over language used in a recent article and since-deleted tweet about the Waukesha, Wisconsin massacre
The newspaper placed responsibility on the SUV Darrell Brooks drove during the attack, instead of the career criminal himself"
the Waukesha spin that it was the truck, was really something. Christine came back to life as an SUV this time.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-24-2022, 07:50 AM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

If it seats more than 8, is it then classified as an Assault SUV?
Old 01-24-2022, 08:33 AM   #5
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
The gun did it, you see. “A shot from an illegal gun” took the life of the heroic cop, not a human scumbag.

I tend to think liberals have some good points on gun control, but it’s stances like this that make we want to send money to the NRA.

a gun, is an inanimate object. It may be an “attractive nuisance” to a child, but an adult has free will and control over their actions.

So so stupid.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/new...-nypd-officers
All guns were was bought legally

What’s so stupid is just calling a gun gun an inanimate object

Typical simpletons view of gun violence in America
Old 01-24-2022, 08:59 AM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

You know, if you're going to call someone a simpleton, you may want to do it using proper English and Grammar.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:07 AM   #7
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
You know, if you're going to call someone a simpleton, you may want to do it using proper English and Grammar.
Oh no, Scott's not going to like you ranging into his purview, only one grammar policeman allowed.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:38 AM   #8
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Oh no, Scott's not going to like you ranging into his purview, only one grammar policeman allowed.
I'm pretty sure he'll be fine with it.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-24-2022, 09:45 AM   #9
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
I'm pretty sure he'll be fine with it.
Ok, your #2 you will have to try harder, add some snarky to your replies its what got Scott to #1.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:00 AM   #10
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Ok, your #2 you will have to try harder, add some snarky to your replies its what got Scott to #1.
I'll take that under advisement

Old 01-24-2022, 10:28 AM   #11
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
All guns were was bought legally

What’s so stupid is just calling a gun gun an inanimate object

Typical simpletons view of gun violence in America
i said i agree we need to talk about gun control. but your side does everything they can to avoid blaming people
who do these things, because that doesn’t help them grab more power.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:33 AM   #12
Jim in CT

the governor of NY blamed
an inanimate object. and I’m the simpleton.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:52 AM   #13
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Some of you boys have a hair trigger this morning....

IMO... Some of the verbiage used was to communicate the greatest information to describe what happened within the limits of a headline.

So, use of "illegal gun" is used to convey a firearm was used, and the reader can deduce that the gunman was not on any upstanding citizen's list and in fact was a scumbag law breaker.

And "SUV' was used to describe the weapon/vehicle being commandeered to cause such an awful amount of damage to innocents. If it had been an elderly driver suffering a medical emergency, it would have been written differently.

Not as much thought went into those headlines from a political point of view as you are wanting to think. The primary goal of the headline is to sell copy.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:23 AM   #14
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post

IMO... Some of the verbiage used was to communicate the greatest information to describe what happened within the limits of a headline.

So, use of "illegal gun" is used to convey a firearm was used, and the reader can deduce that the gunman was not on any upstanding citizen's list and in fact was a scumbag law breaker.

And "SUV' was used to describe the weapon/vehicle being commandeered to cause such an awful amount of damage to innocents. If it had been an elderly driver suffering a medical emergency, it would have been written differently.

Not as much thought went into those headlines from a political point of view as you are wanting to think. The primary goal of the headline is to sell copy.
Ross, why do you bother?
Old 01-24-2022, 11:49 AM   #15
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:

That's because you're smart enough to make that connection and to know that it is about selling clicks. Unfortunately, there are a lot of idiots free ranging out there right now, that read a headline and that's it. They don't bother to read and digest an article, they take what's written verbatim and run with it.

Right now there are millions out there who make a decision on an issue by what comes across their newsfeed or Twitter.

Old 01-24-2022, 11:51 AM   #16
wdmso

Quote:

The spelling police getting their rocks off again
Old 01-24-2022, 12:22 PM   #17
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Ross, why do you bother?
I have hope that by continuing to connect the dots for some folks, that they too will be able to gain some semblance of common sense, which now seems to be an acquired skill..... I have hope in the human race to do good and give their best efforts...

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 01-24-2022, 12:39 PM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:
I have hope that by continuing to connect the dots for some folks, that they too will be able to gain some semblance of common sense, which now seems to be an acquired skill..... I have hope in the human race to do good and give their best efforts...
but it wasn’t just the headline…

if you read the article, the governor wants to use this death to start having a conversation about guns. not about how to get scumbags in prison before they do these things, not about how we raise more citizens who are decent people…never about those things, always about guns.

look, i’m pretty liberal when it comes to guns. but i dare you to come up with a hypothetical law that would have prevented this. you can’t.

there’s a huge supply of black market guns out there. there’s no conceivable law that will prevent bad people from getting them and using them.

if you started a new country today that had zero guns, you could do it. you could pass laws that would
prevent gun crime. but sadly, that’s not the reality in the US.

liberals do anything to avoid discussing the real causes of this. because the true causes, don’t help democrats win elections.
Old 01-24-2022, 03:26 PM   #19
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
The spelling police getting their rocks off again
Yes, that's exactly it

It had nothing to do with you writing gibberish then calling somebody stupid in the same post.

Old 01-24-2022, 04:56 PM   #20
wdmso

Quote:
Yes, that's exactly it

It had nothing to do with you writing gibberish then calling somebody stupid in the same post.
Being able to spell doesn’t equal intelligence your post proves that

So having a simpletons view of gun violence is calling someone stupid ?
Or calling their statement Stupid translate to also calling them stupid

Conservatives logic never fails to impress
Old 01-24-2022, 05:06 PM   #21
Jim in CT

Quote:

you have no idea what my view is, obviously. all i said, is that the gun didn’t do it.

same question to you. please share with us a hypothetical
law, which in this country at this time, would (1) be somewhat constitutional, and (2) would have prevented this crime.

you can’t do it. nobody can do it.

there are some gun crimes ( like Sandy Hook and the Vegas massacre) which might well have been avoided//mitigated with additional gun laws.

this crime? uh-uh.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:13 PM   #22
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:

You still don’t get it (surprise), do you?

If you’re going to insult someone’s intelligence, it’s best to do it, you know, intelligently. Not express yourself like a five year old with a new box of crayolas.

Old 01-24-2022, 05:15 PM   #23
Jim in CT

Quote:
If it seats more than 8, is it then classified as an Assault SUV?
8 seats is the vehicular equivalent of a high capacity magazine or
bump stock.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:10 PM   #24
scottw

Quote:

Being able to spell doesn’t equal intelligence
being unable to spell indicates a serious lack of intelligence, especially with the invention of spell check.....it's not that hard, like voting
Old 01-24-2022, 09:12 PM   #25
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
but it wasn’t just the headline…

if you read the article, the governor wants to use this death to start having a conversation about guns. not about how to get scumbags in prison before they do these things, not about how we raise more citizens who are decent people…never about those things, always about guns.

look, i’m pretty liberal when it comes to guns. but i dare you to come up with a hypothetical law that would have prevented this. you can’t.

there’s a huge supply of black market guns out there. there’s no conceivable law that will prevent bad people from getting them and using them.

if you started a new country today that had zero guns, you could do it. you could pass laws that would
prevent gun crime. but sadly, that’s not the reality in the US.

liberals do anything to avoid discussing the real causes of this. because the true causes, don’t help democrats win elections.
Jim, posts like this, with their direct contradictions and double talk are why some might not want to engage in a forum like this...Some just don't have a point or make sense.

Old 01-24-2022, 09:17 PM   #26
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim, posts like this, with their direct contradictions and double talk are why some might not want to engage in a forum like this...Some just don't have a point or make sense.
what contradiction?

i tend to agree with liberals a bit on gun control.

but liberals tend to act very, very stupidly in response to these events

This may be a shock to you. but two things can be true at the same time. it’s not necessarily contradiction. i’d like to see some further gun control, and i’d like
liberals to stop acting like morons when they blame an inanimate object.

in out country today, almost everyone is blindly loyal
to one side or the other on every single ssue i think both sides have some good ideas, i think both sides act like morons in some cases. that’s not a contradiction.

maybe i explained it poorly. maybe you missed it.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:42 PM   #27
Pete F.
Canceled

Hey Jim, I heard Mars has relented and will now add a Tucker Carlson M&M. They’re all-white, extra bitter, and will meltdown when mixed with multi-colored M&Ms.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:36 PM   #28
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Hey Jim, I heard Mars has relented and will now add a Tucker Carlson M&M. They’re all-white, extra bitter, and will meltdown when mixed with multi-colored M&Ms.
Isn't Mars one of those dreaded corporations that regulate the forces that control our elections?
Old 01-25-2022, 04:53 AM   #29
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Isn't Mars one of those dreaded corporations that regulate the forces that control our elections?
Actually also child slavery, not that there’s anything wrong with that.
Amirite?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-25-2022, 04:58 AM   #30
scottw

Quote:

no one is forcing anybody...

trying to get through an average wayne or pete post and make some sense of what they are rambling about is pretty tough too..but we do it because we love them...