Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-01-2022, 08:57 AM   #511
wdmso

Ukraine invasion: Videos show locals confronting Russian forces

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-60558621

The best one is. the women trying to give the Russian Soldier Sunflower seeds She says so when they die they'll Grow
Old 03-01-2022, 09:17 AM   #512
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Putin just claimed Ukraine at the US Military direction is staging their weapons in civilian areas …. All ready spinning the upcoming block by block destruction

Plus he’s de-Nazifying’ Ukraine
Seems the Russians have moved into Attacking City Center with Heavy Arms

Russia’s defence ministry is warning residents in Kyiv to leave their homes as it plans to strike targets in the Ukrainian capital, Russian state news agency Tass is reporting.

In a statement issued on Tuesday afternoon, the defence ministry says Russian forces are preparing to launch “high-precision strikes” against the “Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) and the 72nd Center for Information and Psychological Operations (PSO)“ in Kyiv.

We urge Ukrainian citizens involved by Ukrainian nationalists in provocations against Russia, as well as Kiev residents living near relay stations, to leave their homes.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:28 AM   #513
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Ukraine invasion: Videos show locals confronting Russian forces

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-60558621

The best one is. the women trying to give the Russian Soldier Sunflower seeds She says so when they die they'll Grow
people will be talking about her for 100 years.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-01-2022, 12:08 PM   #514
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Only an idiot would consider a no fly zone as helpful.
I disagree 100%. Yesterday and today the talk is of the 40 mile convoy. Their progress could be stopped, dead in their tracks with a wing of A-10s or other NATO aircraft. (I am shocked the roads have not been destroyed by the UKR ahead of the advance.) This heavy convoy presents a perfect target. Mark my words, we will relish getting a second chance at a shot like this... The time is slipping away.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 03-01-2022, 12:19 PM   #515
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

[QUOTE=JohnR;1223485}
And for all of the No Fly Zone talk, enforcing it starts WWIII[/QUOTE]

It already has... That is the brutal truth. One last chance for total cease of operations and retreat, or else. We are there! No one wants to say it. But we are. Need to stop that particular battle group/convoy as effectively as possible. Because the chemical, thermobaric, and nukes are going to be used.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 03-01-2022, 01:35 PM   #516
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I disagree 100%. Yesterday and today the talk is of the 40 mile convoy. Their progress could be stopped, dead in their tracks with a wing of A-10s or other NATO aircraft. (I am shocked the roads have not been destroyed by the UKR ahead of the advance.) This heavy convoy presents a perfect target. Mark my words, we will relish getting a second chance at a shot like this... The time is slipping away.

I had questioned why they hadn’t mined or dug up roads or placed barricades . But their leadership didn’t believe it was coming. They dropped the ball and now the want to be rescued by the west .

But sadly the loss of life in Ukraine will be horrible.! But if we or nato get involved it will jump 10 fold

Its a horrible way to look at it.
Yet it might be the responsible thing to do
Old 03-01-2022, 02:07 PM   #517
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
It already has... That is the brutal truth. One last chance for total cease of operations and retreat, or else. We are there! No one wants to say it. But we are. Need to stop that particular battle group/convoy as effectively as possible. Because the chemical, thermobaric, and nukes are going to be used.

As long as NATO is not in contact with RUS then no, we are not in WWIII. People need to understand that Russia is showing major weakness right now with conventional forces but they still have thousands of nukes. If they were not a nuclear power things would be different. If NATO and Russian forces go to war, a lot more people are going to die, with a decent chance everyone does.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-01-2022, 03:02 PM   #518
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Years ago there was a theory postulated called the MARS theory.
Stands for the Mass Annulation Retaliation Syndrome. Basically, if a nuclear power pushes the button, then everyone will and .......

No boat, back in the suds.
Old 03-01-2022, 03:17 PM   #519
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
Years ago there was a theory postulated called the MARS theory.
Stands for the Mass Annulation Retaliation Syndrome. Basically, if a nuclear power pushes the button, then everyone will and .......
Yup if one goes, we all go, I’m hoping Putin isn’t off his kgb nut.
Old 03-01-2022, 03:24 PM   #520
spence

Quote:
Sounds like the convoy isn't moving very well at least for now. Reports of shortages of gas, food, morale is getting low and even some disabling their vehicles and walking away.

Saw a great video a guy took when he pulled up to a stopped armored personnel carrier in a town. He asks if they've broken down, the response no, we just ran out of gas. The driver asks if they need to be towed back to Russia and they just laughed.

John Bolton made a remark that a big reason for the timing of the invasion was simply that Russia wasn't ready. That seems clear.
Old 03-01-2022, 04:00 PM   #521
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Sounds like the convoy isn't moving very well at least for now. Reports of shortages of gas, food, morale is getting low and even some disabling their vehicles and walking away.

Saw a great video a guy took when he pulled up to a stopped armored personnel carrier in a town. He asks if they've broken down, the response no, we just ran out of gas. The driver asks if they need to be towed back to Russia and they just laughed.

John Bolton made a remark that a big reason for the timing of the invasion was simply that Russia wasn't ready. That seems clear.
So if it's clear that Russia isn't ready, then why did they invade?
Old 03-01-2022, 04:04 PM   #522
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
it was the element of surprise in reverse...or something
Old 03-01-2022, 04:08 PM   #523
scottw

I heard hillary out lecturing on all things russia...good grief
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	68763  
Old 03-01-2022, 05:55 PM   #524
spence

Quote:
Yup if one goes, we all go, I’m hoping Putin isn’t off his kgb nut.
I don't think a single nuke in Ukraine would automatically lead to all out nuclear war. One talking head today said that Putin wants to be regarded as one of the great Russian leaders, if everyone is dead there will be nobody to remember him.

In that event which is certainly possible I could totally see China stepping in to diffuse the situation with big territorial concessions as the price.
Old 03-01-2022, 07:48 PM   #525
Pete F.
Canceled

So Putin’s already sent Thermobarics into Kharkiv, probably into Kyiv tonight
Why would anyone think that he will not do that he has done in Aleppo, Chechnya and Grosyna.
If you think he’ll stop there, you’re not a history student.
There will be another former part of the Soviet empire that is next to fall into line.
So we can wait or step up now.
The difference might be a year, good luck with waiting
Old 03-01-2022, 08:32 PM   #526
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
John Bolton : “The fact is that [Trump] barely knew where Ukraine was. He once asked John Kelly, his second chief of staff, if Finland were a part of Russia. It’s just not accurate to say that Trump's behavior somehow deterred the Russians.”

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-01-2022, 09:27 PM   #527
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
John Bolton : “The fact is that [Trump] barely knew where Ukraine was. He once asked John Kelly, his second chief of staff, if Finland were a part of Russia. It’s just not accurate to say that Trump's behavior somehow deterred the Russians.”
Not everything Bolton has said is agreed by many to be "The fact." And "barely" knowing is not a factual description of either knowledge or ignorance. It's a rhetorical trick to falsely impute ignorance. Nor does Bolton tell us the context of Trump asking the question about Finland. Trump very often is being sarcastic. And saying that it's "not accurate" to say something is a weaselly way of trying to imply that it's not true.

In any event, whether Trump "barely" knew where Ukraine was or if he was not certain if Finland was a part of Russia (which it once was part of the Russian empire), or not, do not mean that he had no impact on deterring Putin.

Of course, you do like to resort to "close enough" (not really) insinuations.
Old 03-02-2022, 04:03 AM   #528
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
So Putin’s already sent Thermobarics into Kharkiv, probably into Kyiv tonight
Why would anyone think that he will not do that he has done in Aleppo, Chechnya and Grosyna.
If you think he’ll stop there, you’re not a history student.
There will be another former part of the Soviet empire that is next to fall into line.
So we can wait or step up now.
The difference might be a year, good luck with waiting
didn't biden say "give it a month"?
Old 03-02-2022, 06:23 AM   #529
scottw

Kamala explains things.....soooo...Ukraine is a country....next to another country...that is a bigger country

Old 03-02-2022, 07:32 AM   #530
wdmso

Quote:
Because his army was told to invade by Putin . You seem to think his generals have a lot of input and people stood up to Putin and said FYI boss were not ready. And he. Said okay
Old 03-02-2022, 07:48 AM   #531
scottw

I bet good spelling and coherent sentence structure is important when conveying military orders and communications....
Old 03-02-2022, 07:55 AM   #532
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Because Vladi told all his Generals and Leadership they would be greeted as liberators then his Generals and Leadership told Vladi they would be greeted as liberators and he believed them.

Greeted as liberators - heard that one before.

A lot of things don't make sense though. Are Russians really this bad? Such bad logistics? Keep in mind our logistics jumped through hoops to support tens of thousands of troops / units 10,000 miles away and across oceans yet Russia can't supply logistics to a country on it's border? An army moves on its stomach, right?

Why would Russia have lots of moves made by Territorial Guard Troops instead of their first line?

Why would Russia be handling comms with Baofengs you can get off Amazon?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-02-2022, 08:01 AM   #533
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post

A lot of things don't make sense though.
^^^this...
Old 03-02-2022, 08:15 AM   #534
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I bet good spelling and coherent sentence structure is important when conveying military orders and communications....
A serious thread about a serious situation with global impact, leave it to you to do what you do best, petty juvenile posts are your MO.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:29 AM   #535
scottw

Quote:
A serious thread about a serious situation with global impact, leave it to you to do what you do best, petty juvenile posts are your MO.
from the internet tough guy who thinks he's solving the world's problems on a website...

wait....aren't you the guy who only pops into this worthless place mock the stupidity of others for a few laughs?
Old 03-02-2022, 09:53 AM   #536
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Conscripts. School teachers, janitors, mechanics, everyday joes received a call to report for 3-5 day "training". Then clothed and loaded up in transports having no idea where they are going. Thrown to front line as fodder as artillery work from behind. Russian gameplan has not changed since ancient times. Soften them up with numbers of foot soldiers they are willing to literally sacrifice.
Hopefully, social media will be utilized to reach out to these non-soldiers wearing Russian uniforms, and along with the general population, give rise to a significant surrender and problem for Putin. Despite his best efforts, he can't shut down all lines of communication within his own people. This alone may end up being a major contributor to the outcome.

Old 03-02-2022, 11:14 AM   #537
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Because Vladi told all his Generals and Leadership they would be greeted as liberators then his Generals and Leadership told Vladi they would be greeted as liberators and he believed them.

Greeted as liberators - heard that one before.

A lot of things don't make sense though. Are Russians really this bad? Such bad logistics? Keep in mind our logistics jumped through hoops to support tens of thousands of troops / units 10,000 miles away and across oceans yet Russia can't supply logistics to a country on it's border? An army moves on its stomach, right?
The average Russian has no problems with Ukr. and in many cases are fighting their cousins/friends. Their hearts are not in it. Plus the Russians are prob. poorly equiped, poorly trained, treated badly, etc.

I think there is zero chance they invade Poland bc of NATO.
Old 03-02-2022, 11:21 AM   #538
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post

depends on what his goal is and no one seems to know what that is....although I think he's hinted in the past
Old 03-02-2022, 11:34 AM   #539
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post

unless he’s lost his mind.
Old 03-02-2022, 03:44 PM   #540
wdmso

Russian police jail kids who took flowers and 'No to War' signs to Ukraine's embassy
ages 7-11 with their Moms thats was cowardice looks like