Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 07-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

I'm stumped

I'm setting up a decent sized woodworking, lure making, rod building man cave and I'm stumped! I'm used to having a tiny space. I'd be framing and running electrical etc. right now it's a decent sized area. Got my jet table saw, bandsaw, drill, press, and tons of hand tools in there now and it looks empty

Any suggestions on how you finished out your caves would be awesome. I'm thinking a large shelving unit on one wall, for smaller hand tools etc. if I'm not using it I don't want it out. I'm not into having workspaces looking like Sanford and son.

I'm thinking of 1 workbench about 10-12feet long along one wall. And a storage unit behind that. I need to be able to multi task in the space: lure making, rod building and repairs, and general woodworking. A bit of reloading thrown in as well

Ideas? Comments, suggestions? Looking for when i built out my cave I wish I had done "such and such."

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
Saltheart

You should allow 12 feet for the rod building. Adding a drying (curing box) would take up space and the top of it becomes a shelf automatically. Don't put any solvents or flammables on it but for general storage its a 12 foot long by 1 foot wide shelf. I suggest you do not do woodworking on the rodbuilding bench unless you build the drying bx. The dust from the woodworking is not good around curing thread finish unless you have the rod spinning safely inside the drying box.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
stripermaineiac

Rod building and wood working don't do well together.Saw dust never completely goes away and Murphy loves to use saw dust to contaminate finish and thread work. Ron
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Definitely not going to try and wrap rods in an area covered in dust that's just stupid. Will have a centralized dust collection system, as well as an air scrubber. Finish on rods will be in a dryer in a sealed box as far away from "the elements" as possible. I only work on my own rods and a few here and there for friends who break a guide here and a tip top there so it's not like it production work. Same for lures like Karl said a million years ago why ruin a perfectly good hobby turning it into a job.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 07-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

If I truley had the set up I wanted, I'd have my general bench for all my tackle gear and tools sorted and labeled. I'd have a wall with hooks or shelves built just to display and store some of my more favorite finished products. Another smaller bench or table would be exclusively for tying bucktails, jigs and tails/flys. Maybe a small flat panel ceiling mounted with access to internet for watching youtube videos on tackle craft. I'd have the lathe, sander and drill press behind me with a big old dust collection unit. These are things I'd love to have. I'd top it all off with a metal cabinet for my chems and a spray booth for the paint! Oh, and lights, lights lights. Spinner box would be on the other side next to workbench. But alas, I live vicariously through most of you! lol In time perhaps!

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
N.ShoreFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.ShoreFisher View Post
If I truley had the set up I wanted, I'd have my general bench for all my tackle gear and tools sorted and labeled. I'd have a wall with hooks or shelves built just to display and store some of my more favorite finished products. Another smaller bench or table would be exclusively for tying bucktails, jigs and tails/flys. Maybe a small flat panel ceiling mounted with access to internet for watching youtube videos on tackle craft. I'd have the lathe, sander and drill press behind me with a big old dust collection unit. These are things I'd love to have. I'd top it all off with a metal cabinet for my chems and a spray booth for the paint! Oh, and lights, lights lights. Spinner box would be on the other side next to workbench. But alas, I live vicariously through most of you! lol In time perhaps!
i have been doing this sport for better than 50 years and I'd love to have the extra money to have a setup like you described. You have to be talking $10K to $15K.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
i have been doing this sport for better than 50 years and I'd love to have the extra money to have a setup like you described. You have to be talking $10K to $15K.
It shall be our's my friend.....it shall be our's!!!!! Oh yes!! Little by little, my wife keeps hearing how much lures go for, and how some people saw a few of the salty's kits I made and how they wanted to buy them. Now she thinks I should do a little more building to supplement our income. HAHAHA, she has no idea how bad of an idea that is for soooo many reasons, the biggest being I have no idea what the hell I'm doing yet! But it's gonna be fun, that's for sure! lol

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
Old 07-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
You have to be talking $10K to $15K.
I would say less than that, doing most of the work yourself as time allows.

Domination takes full concentration..
Old 07-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I also have a nice pub height bar table and a couple stools in one corner of my shop....we jokingly refer to it as "The Bistro"! Good place to sit and have a beer with a friend or hang out if its raining or in the winter (I have a wood stove nearby as well). I am posting one in the classifieds shortly if you happen to like the idea? I just bought another one from a friend I liked better! Personalize the cave Vic and make it fun as well as functional!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
Raven

there ya go Larry

a complete business buildin Man caves
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
t.orlando

Don't forget the stripper pole Vic
t.orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Lol
Old 07-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #13
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.orlando View Post
Don't forget the stripper pole Vic
Striper or stripper?! lol