Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 02-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
Padawan

VS200

Is this reel to small for footballs? I know line capacity is a factor here for fishing tuna. On there site it says it hold 40lb at 500 yards. What would I get with 65lb braid? 300 yards possiblly
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #2
iamskippy

Imo this reel will handle foot balls no problem, its a preference. And if you wanna know the line capacity do the math you know the diamater of braid a, mulitply braid a x total yards then divide the diameter of braid b, and thus you have your total line for that poundage. Basic algebra
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
Pete_G

It depends on what you consider a football.

This fish was caught on a VS200. 180 pounds. No fancy Japanese jigging rod, just an old 7 foot Calstar. It is the upper end of the spectrum though, and fish fighting skills and boat handling contributed greatly to the catch as well as how quickly it was in the boat. I forget what the reel holds for 65# test, but it's enough unless you hook something REALLY hot, don't have the drag set properly, or refuse to chase a fish. Attach the braid to the hub, no backing.

If I had a choice of Van Staals hands down I'd take a VS275 for the faster retrieve and additional capacity, it's just better weapon for the task at hand but if a 200 is what you already own I wouldn't think twice about taking it into battle. I used one for many years until I got a 275.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tuna.jpg (45.4 KB, 50 views)
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
Redsoxticket

Better yet,
divide the know total yds of braid A by know diameter of braid A then multiply by the diameter of braid B, the result is the total line for braid B.

Byds = (Ayds/Adia) x Bdia

Advanced algebra
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamskippy View Post
Imo this reel will handle foot balls no problem, its a preference. And if you wanna know the line capacity do the math you know the diamater of braid a, mulitply braid a x total yards then divide the diameter of braid b, and thus you have your total line for that poundage. Basic algebra
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
iamskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxticket View Post
Advanced algebra
for some lol
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
Bill L

I don't know, the cross sectional area of the braid, which will make up the volume on the spool, is not directly proportional to the diameter (a=pi*d^2/4), so this approach could be flawed
Bill L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
Redsoxticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxticket View Post
Better yet,
divide the know total yds of braid A by know diameter of braid A then multiply by the diameter of braid B, the result is the total line for braid B.

Byds = (Ayds/Adia) x Bdia

Advanced algebra
Oops forgetaboutit, your going to need a bigger spool, iamskippy will get you much closer but not accurate as indicated by BillL

How about the volume of the spool converted in cubic ft divided by the volume of "one foot length of braid converted in cubic feet" The result would be the number of one foot strands to fill the volume of spool.
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
Padawan

I might just take my chance and have fun with it!!!
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

Step 1 is hooking up. If you get 300-500 yards between you and a tuna on spinning gear, he's gone.
thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:57 AM   #10
big jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_G View Post
It depends on what you consider a football.

This fish was caught on a VS200. 180 pounds. No fancy Japanese jigging rod, just an old 7 foot Calstar. It is the upper end of the spectrum though, and fish fighting skills and boat handling contributed greatly to the catch as well as how quickly it was in the boat. I forget what the reel holds for 65# test, but it's enough unless you hook something REALLY hot, don't have the drag set properly, or refuse to chase a fish. Attach the braid to the hub, no backing.

If I had a choice of Van Staals hands down I'd take a VS275 for the faster retrieve and additional capacity, it's just better weapon for the task at hand but if a 200 is what you already own I wouldn't think twice about taking it into battle. I used one for many years until I got a 275.

That was a fun day.
big jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:10 AM   #11
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill L View Post
I don't know, the cross sectional area of the braid, which will make up the volume on the spool, is not directly proportional to the diameter (a=pi*d^2/4), so this approach could be flawed
So now you are getting into that "new math" arena and the answer is the reel will take braid from spool A and load it onto spool B (found in the reel) when a force is applied to the reel handle to produce a centripetal force. Stop applied force when either spool A is empty or spool B is full.....

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #12
Mr. Sandman

Just keep the boat in gear and fight it from the bow. Many fish fight differently. If you happen to hook a fish that we call "an athlete", the line will disappear so fast you will be left looking like this:
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote