Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 11-08-2006, 03:57 PM   #1
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Unhappy 2nd time in a month-

i'm always in the habit of holding doors open for people in general.

Coupola weeks ago i'm going in the post office,stop,wait and hold the door for a women with a stroller coming in. No thank you.

Yesterday same thing with an older woman going into a store.

Ya know i understand the 60s, when women's lib was in full swing and they wanted to be independent, but now not to say thanks, or acknowledge a li'll help is just plain rude.

Yesterday i just said to the woman, "your welcome".

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:23 PM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I do the same thing Dave......happens daily! Most of the time I get a thank you but sometimes when they say nothing....I give them a loud "YOUR WELCOME"!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:25 PM   #3
Slingah

the times....they are-a-changing..
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:33 PM   #4
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

I like when they say, "oh you made me run" um ok your welcome you could use the excersise.
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:40 PM   #5
Canalman
Calling Jon The Fisherman

I think it's high time women started holding doors for MEN!

Surf Asylum Lures, Custom Lures for the "Committed"
Official S-B Sponsor
Canalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:40 PM   #6
Canalman
Calling Jon The Fisherman

I won't hold my breath

Surf Asylum Lures, Custom Lures for the "Committed"
Official S-B Sponsor
Canalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:46 PM   #7
Backbeach Jake

Cool

I hold the door for everyone. I think that it's just plain rude to let a door slam in someone's face, anyone.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:18 PM   #8
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

I hate when you are walking behind someone and they just let the door go to close in your face. oh I just hate people, they suck

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:21 PM   #9
Redsoxticket

I open doors for little old ladies.
I help the blind to see.

No more Mr. Nice Guy
No more Mr. Clean
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:28 PM   #10
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
i'm always in the habit of holding doors open for people in general.

Coupola weeks ago i'm going in the post office,stop,wait and hold the door for a women with a stroller coming in. No thank you.

Yesterday same thing with an older woman going into a store.

Ya know i understand the 60s, when women's lib was in full swing and they wanted to be independent, but now not to say thanks, or acknowledge a li'll help is just plain rude.

Yesterday i just said to the woman, "your welcome".
I don't get it either Dave
somewhere along the line kids just don't learn or don't bother to follow through with etiquette. The culture these days is about rap and junk like that I guess no time to thank yous

I loudly say you're welcome also when I get silence instead of a simple thank you, even a simple nod of the head would suffice, but people are in a hurry and rude and into their own little worlds I guess, what a shame.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:01 PM   #11
Karl F

I make eye contact smile, and comment on the weather or some such foolishness, while I hold the door, and give the wave on thru motion with my hand.. 99 % of the time it will invoke some kinda response, and usually a "thanks"..
kinda stumbled into it.. if I just stopped and held the door.. most times nothing was said.. so.. (ya know me Dave).. the smile and the big yap.. gets 'em motivated..
But Slip is right, somewhere along the line.. most manners and such.. have evaporated.. meybe it's society.. people don't trust nobody anymore, and worry that the next guy is a hatchet murderer, or the like.. kinda sad...
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:26 AM   #12
Raven

Red face i still do it

i always have .......... and i'll never change...

i usually .... will whistle after they insult my honor

or rip a big fart as i walk away if i can...depending
on how rude they are.... to serve them right..

otherwise........i always say MAM ...and tip my hat (gesture)

(from living in the desert...)

or.... otherwise i will say, ok FATso

they are from all walks of life...

courtesy is everything!
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:33 AM   #13
Jimbo

I was brought up in a household where it was inexcuseable not to have good manners and etiquette. "You can never say thank you enough," my father would say, and I try to instill this behavior in my own kids. Like KarlF I try make some simple comment as I'm holding a door or getting someone a shopping cart when they're all jammed together. If I don't get a thank you it doesn't phase me and with a raised eyebrow I might mutter one of the expressions my kids use, "How ruuuuuuude," as I'm walking away. However, I don't give up on people in general, because there are plenty that do say thank you or somehow acknowledge, or respond when I do, and that simple exchange reminds me manners are not a lost art.
There's another behavior out there that really bothers me, and that's when I'm walking on a sidewalk, for example, I'm in my space on the right. and a group approaches in the opposite direction taking up most of the sidewalk and the person or people in my lane make no effort to get out of my way. I used to wait until the last second and dodge the collision, but no more. This is the pentultimate example of rude to me. I don't think this happens because people are so engrossed in a conversation they don't see it coming, I think there are people out there who simply feel they are better and it is obviously beneath them to step out of the way. Those people beware, because I'm either going to step on your foot or you're getting clocked with my bony shoulder.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:09 PM   #14
stripersnipr

When I happen to end up holding a door for someone who lacks the manners and integrity to respond with a simple thanks I find a come from behind leg sweep followed by a knee drop to the back of the neck usually teaches the wrinkled old bags a lesson.
stripersnipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:43 PM   #15
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

JPI ,,,just keep being you,, there are A holes in the world ya know .. Thats there problem ,,not yours .

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:44 PM   #16
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

i always hold the door open - always. usually get a smile and a thanks.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:55 PM   #17
Clammer

I have had them snap a remark to me // but that doesn,t stop me // they all have boobs // & some jog a litttle bit to get to the door //

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:20 PM   #18
Jenn

I always try to hold the door for others just out of courtesy.....

but on the flip side........ sometimes I dont know how to react when the door is held for me...

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:38 PM   #19
chris L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
I have had them snap a remark to me // but that doesn,t stop me // they all have boobs // & some jog a litttle bit to get to the door //
when they jog to the door its proper that you thank them . I always do and some dont get it right away but others you get a nice smile . I will hold the door for them everytime . I find it is their way of thanking me and it goes far beyond words .

the ones that dont give me the thanks usually get a loud "your (&%%(* welcome" .
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:56 AM   #20
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Doors

Most of the bigger stores in more urban areas is where the reaction isn't the most polite one, but the little corner store that I go to for coffee/paper/kibbitzing I find that most people hold the door and rarely is it that you don't hear a thank you.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 04:00 PM   #21
labrax

Some of the executives at the place I work will let the door slam in your face if they are walking right in front of you. The former HR VP was famous for it and for not acknowledging you. I hold the door for everyone and find it amazing when someone does not acknowledge it.

The other favorite is the group walking 3 abreast in the corridor and not moving, or standing yapping blocking the corridor and not making any effort to move. I shocked a pretty boy mkt @hole by playing chicken with him one day - he moved. From then on he was much more courteous.
labrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 04:40 PM   #22
Nebe

Dear Santa-
Since women expect men to be equal in houshold duties, i think women should hold the door for men and i also think that it would be nice for them to lift the seat back up after they use the can..
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 07:35 PM   #23
Katie
Scuttlebutt

Send a message via AIM to Katie Send a message via MSN to Katie Send a message via Skype™ to Katie
i always hold the door, even at school.. few weeks ago at the bank, i held the door for this man, and he just walked by, no thank you or anything.. i just said 'Your Welcome' kinda loud, he looked back at me with this 'screw you' expression on his face.. If the door is being held for me, i always... always look up smile and say thanks. its the way to be..

Wasajigifying -[ was - a - jig-i-fy-ing] - the concept of not knowing what the hell your saying.

My Photography Page!
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:58 PM   #24
Squid kids Dad

I had a woman hold the door for me today...I said thankyou and she said you are very welcome

Last edited by Squid kids Dad; 11-12-2006 at 10:22 PM..

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:00 PM   #25
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Dear Santa-
i also think that it would be nice for them to lift the seat back up after they use the can..
We have one women in our department who always gets that talk.
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:18 PM   #26
denport
A Real Bass-Turd

I will actually slow down if I think I might get to the door too quickly for someone to get there comfortably. I'll stand 5 feet away and go through a pantomime of "Did I forget my keys? Oh, they're right here." And let me tell you, in Chatham, sometimes it takes a while. But do I really have anywhere else to be that soon? Unless the person is overly rude, I try not to give the Your Welcome. Sometimes a smile and a nod is OK. But if they give a snort or a dirty look, "Next time get it your damn self." Usually followed by a term designated for dogs of the female variety.
We live in a society. Just pretend you are a part of it.

One from the lip ripper

denport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:54 PM   #27
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

common courtesy has gone out the window... what about if you have a card swiped extrance door at your work - do you hold the door for somebody? I have one to get into my parking garage and I always hold the door, even if somebody is 10 feet away because I know it's a pain to have to get your id card out, not everybody has it clipped to their shirt or around their neck. Some a-holes won't even hold the door though if they see people coming.
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 06:35 PM   #28
rjinhull

I used to have this kid by work strut down the middle of the street and block cars

I think it was a game to him “ note key word was

I got sick of it one day and yelled out my window MINE and kicked the truck in passing gear he turned white and ran……that was the last time he did it to me
rjinhull is offline   Reply With Quote