Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 11-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
BMEUPSCOTTY

Thumbs up The Grinch...

... is on tonight, and I'll be the first to admit that I still enjoy the Christmas specials from my youth. (namely The Grinch, Merry Christmas Charlie Brown, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, the original Frosty, and Rudolph). Who here (over the age of 40) will admit the same? I don't get the same feeling at all from anything made after that era, which could be a generational thing. (I could have missed a classic or two from my list, and I will admit that I might give the new Spongebob special a try if it's on again.)

I still enjoy Christmas, and agree that it is MOSTLY for the kids, but I try VERY hard to not let the hustle and bustle turn ME into a Grinch. You will never catch me saying that I hate Christmas... It's not Christmas' fault that some retailers (as well as the types that don't want Christmas trees in public places, etc.) take away from the Christmas spirit that I enjoyed as a kid. I was lucky to have been adopted by a terrific family that, to this day, enjoys Christmas as much as the people in, say, an Old Navy commercial. Lots of people (understandably) prefer Thanksgiving to Christmas these days, with the focus on spending time with family and friends. Christmas for me was like Thanksgiving with presents, and I try to keep that spirit alive. I believe it's OK to let Christmas bring out the kid in all of us!
BMEUPSCOTTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

My all time favorite Christmas special is Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol. Thankfully, it's preserved on You Tube.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:07 AM   #3
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Grinch has always been my favorite....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
Jimbo

This is interesting because I watched The Grinch with my 17 year old daughter last night and commented that I thought the 30 minute animated version was 10 times better than the movie. Surprisingly, she didn't argue.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

The Abomination by Jim Carey does not count.....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
BMEUPSCOTTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
My all time favorite Christmas special is Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol. Thankfully, it's preserved on You Tube.
Forgot about that one... How long has it been since it's been on TV? You would think with all the channels today and all the crappy specials that it would still be shown somewhere...��
Just read it is the 50th anniversary of that one, and that it was the first animated Christmas special. To celebrate, DreamWorks is releasing it on blue ray...Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
BMEUPSCOTTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMEUPSCOTTY View Post
Forgot about that one... How long has it been since it's been on TV? You would think with all the channels today and all the crappy specials that it would still be shown somewhere...��
Just read it is the 50th anniversary of that one, and that it was the first animated Christmas special. To celebrate, DreamWorks is releasing it on blue ray...Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Used to be shown on the Cartoon Network, when my kids were small.

"Oh, Magoo, you've done it again. You've brought down the house."

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Bumbles Bounce!

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #9
Slipknot
Super Moderator

The Grinch is a classic
I saw it last night, just can't pass by it and not watch
I love that cartoon

Charlie Browns Christmas is on now
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
HighTide

Send a message via AIM to HighTide
I still run out of the room when the Bumble shows up.
HighTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #11
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMEUPSCOTTY View Post
... is on tonight, and I'll be the first to admit that I still enjoy the Christmas specials from my youth. (namely The Grinch, Merry Christmas Charlie Brown, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, the original Frosty, and Rudolph). Who here (over the age of 40) will admit the same? I don't get the same feeling at all from anything made after that era, which could be a generational thing. (I could have missed a classic or two from my list, and I will admit that I might give the new Spongebob special a try if it's on again.)

I still enjoy Christmas, and agree that it is MOSTLY for the kids, but I try VERY hard to not let the hustle and bustle turn ME into a Grinch. You will never catch me saying that I hate Christmas... It's not Christmas' fault that some retailers (as well as the types that don't want Christmas trees in public places, etc.) take away from the Christmas spirit that I enjoyed as a kid. I was lucky to have been adopted by a terrific family that, to this day, enjoys Christmas as much as the people in, say, an Old Navy commercial. Lots of people (understandably) prefer Thanksgiving to Christmas these days, with the focus on spending time with family and friends. Christmas for me was like Thanksgiving with presents, and I try to keep that spirit alive. I believe it's OK to let Christmas bring out the kid in all of us!

Totally agree...I Love Christmas too...I even have that Christmas music station programmed on the radio this time of year. Have the Grinch DVR'd and watched it quite a few times already (4yr old in my house). Old school stuff totally dominates, give me Tom&Jerry any day!!!

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #12
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Took my son to the musical Grinch at the Wang Theater last Sun afternoon and we both were mesmerized! Love this time of year because I have a 7 year old and it brings out so many great memories.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
MarshCappa is offline   Reply With Quote