Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 11-23-2006, 05:13 AM   #1
stiff tip

aquariums...

i,m lookin to buy a fish tank 4 xmas. 4 the house,bow front 40 to 50 gal w/ stand and all the etc new.... does any have any ideas or sug. would like to get started in it again...stores or web ????? thanks dave
stiff tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 06:49 AM   #2
Raven

Wink

yeah ...keep your fish population low (fish to gallons ratio) and your filtration capability high and you'll have less fish mortality and a really clean tank.
Also if you buy a really big pleeko (mispelled) it'll clean the algae off the glass. this is assuming your not talkin a salt water tank. those tanks cost a fortune. my friend spent like 12,000 bucks and then the tank imploded the first week and flooded the house.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:36 AM   #3
stiff tip

ya got ya ...what i need is a good location to start lookin for one... 40 to 50 gals fresh water..... new w/ etc..got any leads???any one
Old 11-23-2006, 07:48 AM   #4
vineyardblues

Dave,
We got one at petco 2 years ago 55 gal.
It's funny because my daughter and I cleaned it yesterday,,lol
I can't remember how much,but less then 300.00 I think. We went to Petco yesterday and they still had the same one, MAKE sure you get a iron stand for it
We still have a few fish from 2 years ago. Afriican Cichlid's The only fish I ever had, Years ago I raised and sold them,many colors but very aggressive !
VB
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 08:04 AM   #5
stiff tip

v-b thats funny ....thats the type of fished i planed to get..... lookin 4 bow front 46 gal w/ all the goodies .... or 1 sz lgr.all about money.....o-btw had afr. cic. b-4....lots of colors n movement,w good tank life .btw wifeiepo wants me to wait.... no way..... marry xmas to me.....
Old 11-23-2006, 08:09 AM   #6
niko

st, uncle neds fish factory is a good place i think it's in millis. there used to be a good place in quincy center but i can't remember the name of it. i used to manage a giant pet store (now out of business). a few reccomendations. the larger the tank, the easier it is to manage the water quality. like the man said most people overpopulate thier tanks. the want advertiser is a good place to find used tanks. what type of fish do you want? this will effect the type of tank you get. african cichlids are some of my favorites, the colors are close to saltwater fish w/o the price of them, though nothing is cheap about aquariums. don't be afraid of saltwater tanks, unless you want invertibrates, they are not as difficult as people make them out to be. good luck and post some pix of your tank when you get it set up, paul , arrowannas (sp) = tarpon fishing in the living room
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 08:14 AM   #7
niko

if you want a/c get a tank w/ more bottom area than the bow. they r very territorial
Old 11-23-2006, 08:30 AM   #8
vineyardblues

http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Prod...List1-_-897787
Not sure if this link will work,but it's petco.com
Again, please do not buy a wood stand,you will thank me every year you take me tuna fishing
Happy Holidays and be safe
VB
Old 11-23-2006, 08:31 AM   #9
Squid kids Dad

Tanks

Try Paradise Gardens in Whitman..They a lot of tanks and many fish..If you want a # let me know..

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:00 AM   #10
Nebe

If you know a person who can weld aluminum or steel, you can make a pissah tank out of 1/2 inch plate glass. all you need is 2 frames, 5 pieces of glass and some good clear silicone.

I made one when i was in artschool to quell my fish withdrawals... i think it held around 150 gallons and only cost me a few bucks to make it, since i found the glass.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:18 AM   #11
RockLobsta

Send a message via AIM to RockLobsta
Quote:
Originally Posted by vineyardblues View Post
http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Prod...List1-_-897787
Not sure if this link will work,but it's petco.com
Again, please do not buy a wood stand,you will thank me every year you take me tuna fishing
Happy Holidays and be safe
VB
Not sure what you mean by that, I had a reef on a wood stand for twelve years....then sold it and it looked as good as the day i bought it??

"That fish place" on the web for dry goods.....

Uncle Neds for cichlids--http://www.unclenedsfishfactory.com/index.html

Saulosi are great for starters--I had 8 two years ago now there are around 20 or so in the tank. Great for the kids to watch them breeding and caring for thier young..

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/p_saulosi.php

If you can fit it I would try and get a bigger "footprint" on the tank...like a 55...

Happy Thanksgiving.....
RockLobsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:28 AM   #12
striprman
Wishin' for fishin'

Petsmart in Brockton on route 123 across from the high school/fairgrounds or the Raynham pet store on route 44 at the Taunton/Raynham line (near globe liquors)

striprman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:41 AM   #13
striperman36
Old Guy

Uncle Neds is good for exotic species. www.unclenedsfishfactory.com
I will tell you , you will spend alot of money on it, if you want it to be what you describe
Don't buy major priced fish until it cycles.
Anything smaller than a 55 can turn in a a tragedy real fast you have to know what you are doing. I have had ich and other nasties flip it in a day!!!
I have a South American tank with cory's, Apisto's and Tetras. Lots of color and all but the Apisto's can be had at any local shop.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:52 AM   #14
Christian
viva the plug-o-lution

Send a message via AIM to Christian
go out and catch a couple of tiny perch, and bass, and sunfish, maybe a little cat, and have a ball. ive got a baby snapping turtle right now..so no fishies left.

live to fish. fish to live. rod tips high.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:23 AM   #15
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

most interresting tank I've seen was a crayfish a painted turtle and a bunch of gold fish . Just keep adding goldfish .. Crayfish would just freeze motionless while gold fish swam closer and closer .. Really enjoyed watching that .. kinda sick I guess.

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 01:19 PM   #16
vineyardblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobsta View Post
Not sure what you mean by that, I had a reef on a wood stand for twelve years....then sold it and it looked as good as the day i bought it??

"That fish place" on the web for dry goods.....

Uncle Neds for cichlids--http://www.unclenedsfishfactory.com/index.html

Saulosi are great for starters--I had 8 two years ago now there are around 20 or so in the tank. Great for the kids to watch them breeding and caring for thier young..

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/p_saulosi.php

If you can fit it I would try and get a bigger "footprint" on the tank...like a 55...

Happy Thanksgiving.....

Just a peace of mind,is all I am saying
I am sure now a days they make them better, But I have had several
in the past that fell a part after years . Metal/steal will last for 120 years a lot longer then wood

VB
Old 11-24-2006, 01:03 AM   #17
teaser
Wave Jumper

Since you're looking for a bow front tank you are not talking glass.

You are now venturing into the world of acrylic, as acrylic is very friendly to use it is also a royal pain to care for.

If you own a boat with a windshield (center concole, etc.) 99% of them are made of acrylic so you know how easy that scratches.

Well it is twice as easy to scratch up an acrylic tank, everytime you move the decorations inside and especially when you clean the growth off the glass.

As stated before you would be better off with at least a 55 gallon tank, cichlids now ... maybe saltwater later!

I have had tanks from 5 gallons to 200 gallons, mostly glass but a few acrylics that I can say other than for the ease of shaping it, it wasn't as nice as the glass for detering scratches.

Also mentioned about the room in a tank ... very good suggestion! The more room you have the healthier the fish will be as cramped quarters can make fish ill, the bigger the tank the bigger the fish will get as fish only grow according to the space they have (in most cases).

Have a really good filter such as the Fluval 300 series and you'll have one hell of a clean tank, keep up with you PH levels and you'll have very healthy fish too.

Just my .02 worth, Good Luck!

Insanity is a long and winding road ... I think I finally made it there.
teaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 10:34 AM   #18
FRED

Lovely Pets in Quincy.Good selection. Talk to Steve.
http://www.lovely-pets.com/
FRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 11:21 AM   #19
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

With the africans remember to get a log book. They require a higher ph in the water because of the lakes they come from lake malawi. Check whatever water source youre going to use and check if the ph is going to be appropriate. For example if your water source is going to be low in ph you know youre going to have to add stuff to get the right ph. If your ph is high already you may have to add stuff to lower your ph.

Another thing to remember with africans is when you get them they are little half inch or so. Remember that some of those bad boys get pretty large. So the tendency is to fill it with them when theyre small, just make sure you keep in mind what that tank is going to look like when theyre all 8 inches to foot longs.

When theyre smaller youre going to want to setup lots a little caves and hidy holes for them. They are aggressive but in a few days time you'll notice which ones are the Alpha fish and which ones are more subserviant (sp). Theyre a lot of fun and a very sought after fish for home aquariums for their bright coloring. Theyre awesome fish and have great personalities, just seriously keep a log book of the ph in the tank. That way with the log book, you'll get a good understanding of how your ph goes up and down with feedings, or with additions of water or any changes etc.

Prices for gear etc, are pretty leveled out across most places you can purchase from. This is one of those times where if possible its best to find a place near home to purchase because you can always go back for adivce help etc and you've already got a working relationship with the folks at the shop.

The suggestion for the plecostamus was a good one. They are excellent tank cleaners. Another fish I would suggest to clean your gravel real well would be a st. raphaels catfish. They do pretty much the same thing as the pleco, and to start off they'll be about the same size.

Run your tank for atleast 3 days at the proper ph, before introducing any fish. Sterilize anything you add to it. When you introduce fish, try to add them at the same time. If you get the fish in bags, from the petstore, take half that petstore water out and add half from your tank to the fish bags. float the bags across the top of your tank for 1hr.

1 hr goes by dump that water and fill all the bag with water from your tank. You're trying to get the fish used to your water, and at the same time purging whatever was in the stores water. I know it seems like overkill, but your're basically creating a sanitized enviroment for these fish and you dont want to introduce anything to get them sick, any food left over in the stores water bags and waste etc. If you need any help etc let me know I'll be glad to help. I've pretty much run tanks all my life, and I've raised fish from frye to being 18 and 22 inches in length

oh and dont place your tank in a place where it will get direct sunlight. This will cause nasty oxygen robbing algae blooms.

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 11:34 AM   #20
The Iceman 6
Here fishy fishy

Buy top of the line filter and bubbler, it will be worth it....

Ice
The Iceman 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 01:25 PM   #21
striprman
Wishin' for fishin'

I keep longfin blue, zebra and spotted danios in my 10 gallon with some live plants and a small upside down catfish. I use a power filter and a undergravel filter and use coffee filters and "ammo carb" to filter the water. A 10 watt heater and a themometer and a little porcilin temple ornament under the flourscent hood complete the tank. It's own little perfect world.

I also enjoy watching the behavior of these little guys. I think it has given me a better idea how fishes feed and interact with each other.

striprman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 04:42 PM   #22
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Dave when I lived in Centerville there was a place on Rt 28 on the right after strawberrry hill rd. I think it was a grain and feed store type place but they carried a lot of fish, Not sure if it is there anymore but might be worth a shot.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 06:13 PM   #23
stiff tip

wow

thanks guys ... never knew how many of u take care of tanks .... i had tanks 20 yrs ago.. i know the work involved... its not cheep to get started .n i want a good sz tank... but i got a unexpeded xmas presant to day of some xtra cash .... soooooo looks like capt cupcake buying a indoor pool for some fish... i wonder if i can raise blue back herrin.........
Old 11-24-2006, 07:47 PM   #24
niko

i had a good size salt water tank w/ triggers, lions,morays, etc... one fall i put a few eels in it and they lasted til the spring and were used for bait. now you've got me thinking of setting up a tank
Old 11-24-2006, 10:47 PM   #25
teaser
Wave Jumper

I've got some pogies in my saltwater tank right now, had them for 4 months already. They are babies right now but after a good winter's fattening up they should be about 8 - 10 inches long come spring time, YUMMY!!!!

They are in a 120 gal. tank right now, but will hit the 300 gal. tank in Feb. I think I hear the bass drooling already

Old 11-25-2006, 08:03 AM   #26
LT. DAN 2

Teaser,
Do you keep the pogies by themselves or are they mixed with other non aggressive fishies like the mumichaugs and killis? What do you feed the pogies since they are filter feeders?
Lt
LT. DAN 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:20 AM   #27
teaser
Wave Jumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT. DAN 2 View Post
Teaser,
Do you keep the pogies by themselves or are they mixed with other non aggressive fishies like the mumichaugs and killis? What do you feed the pogies since they are filter feeders?
Lt
I keep them with everybody else in the tank.

I have some Green Pufferfish (3) I also have 12 Mullets, about 30 Ghost Shrimp, 2 or 3 Hermit Crabs, 6 mumpers, 1 baby Horseshoe Crab, some Siversides, used to have 2 baby Sea Robins but they kept eating all the little guys so they had to go. But all the above are in my 120 gallon tank now.

I feed the fish a mix of goodies such as zooplankton, algae, brine shrimp, almost all of the frozen stuff that comes in cubes, but the Pogies love mosquito larvae and daphnia the most. I'd love to get a baby Striper for my 300 gallon tank but it's illegal to posses them in Mass.

The frozen cubes are a tank owners best friend.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:00 AM   #28
MakoMike

Your best bet if you want to minimize the $$ is to forget about the bowfront and go with a standard 55 gal. If you search the net and the newspapers you should be able to find one, locally, for about 1/2 of what you would pay in any pet shop. Local is a must, since shipping will kill the deal. Ofetn they'll come with lights, filters ect. Don't be afraid to make a guy a low ball offer, lots of them don't realize how much of a discount off of new the market is. Generally you should get about 50% off.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:45 PM   #29
stiff tip

well... found what i was lookin for 46 bow front w/ oak stand about 3oo bucks w/ all etc. comes to about 600bannans... i,m nuts but i,m gonna do it.... screw it you only come this way once.. ill call it therapy 4 my old age.....
Old 11-29-2006, 07:06 PM   #30
taJon

there is an awsome aquarium place in Framingham on RT9 I think it is. If its still there, its the place.

A tip: never ever put the water from the store into your tank water. Not good. You really need to make sure that the salinity and all the other stuff is good before the fish are put in or the water will be toxic to them. Damsels are real good starters then move up to the yellow tangs or clown fish. thats what I did
taJon is offline   Reply With Quote