Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Saltwater Fly Fishing!

Saltwater Fly Fishing! New at Striped-Bass.Com, Saltwater Fly Fishing in the North East

Old 05-10-2017, 12:31 PM   #1
Zeal
Always a Rookie

Freshwater fly help

I know this is a striper forum and it's saltwater but since I now own a kayak and have access to a lot of lakes I found some old flies meant for trout (though I cheat with a casting bubble).

My knowledge is minimal but I know fly fisherman go nuts over which exact fly to use during the course of the seasons and they absolutely crush fish more than anyone else (many times have I seen good sized trout leaping out of the water to eat flies and wouldn't touch anything else).

Any place I could start in knowing what bugs are on the lake or is there a generic fly that is the bread and butter? I'm not looking to start a collection, just a few that actually will get bit. Bait shop crews weren't any help.

"Your first word was "Fishing", not "Mom", not "Dad", "FISHING." - Mom

Black, White, Chartreuse/Parrot = the Holy Trinity
Zeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:05 PM   #2
ct_fisher
ct_fisher

You never said what species you are trying to fish for.. Yes there are different flies for each species there is no magic bullet. but a simple clouser in white or chartreuse will get you started for at least small and largemouth bass and smaller clousers could also be used for panfish..

Not endorsing Orvis .. but give this link a try

http://www.orvis.com/bass-pike-panfi...Kq9hoCmd7w_wcB
ct_fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:00 PM   #3
Zeal
Always a Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct_fisher View Post
You never said what species you are trying to fish for..[/URL]
Trout, sorry.

Browns and Rainbows.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:47 AM   #4
Higgie

hey Zeal you can't go wrong with Wooly buggers and zonkers trolling behind the yak. Especially in green.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Higgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:27 PM   #5
Zeal
Always a Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgie View Post
hey Zeal you can't go wrong with Wooly buggers and zonkers trolling behind the yak. Especially in green.
What size should I look for? Are the sizes like hooks where the smaller the number the bigger it is?

Old 05-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
jeffsod

Talking to a local fly shop is a good start if possible to get an idea of what flies to buy and when to use. The Bears Den in Taunton MA is a great shop if you don't have anything local. Call them. Ask to talk to someone about buying some flies. See if you can get some input that way.

As mentioned though you cannot go wrong buying some buggers in black and also in olive. The larger the number the smaller the hook. So a Size 14 is smaller than a size 6.

In the late fall I fish with a fly for trout and get big browns using the smalls buggers I can buy or make say size 12 or 14. Bug if trolling I would try something larger like a 8 or 10.

Gold Empie's shiners aka Goldies are great trolling flies for rainbows. They have a tungsten bead and will sink fast so good as it gets later in the season and the fish start staging deeper.
jeffsod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #7
Higgie

X2 on the bears den. Not only the best fly shop but Scott the owner is a great guy and super helpful. Not to mention he has a large assortment of used gear
Higgie is offline   Reply With Quote