Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
spence

Drill baby drill

Am I the only one who find this chant at Palin's events to be downright creepy?

-spence
Old 10-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
Nebe

yeah but its so mavericky.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
Raven

she should be serving

caribou teriyaki on a stick at these events.......
Old 10-08-2008, 01:12 PM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Joe Sixpaaaack Likes it......Dontcha Know

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 10-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
slapshot

I am bothered more by the crowd noise during some of Obama's Reverends comments from the pulpit.

bluefish Jihadist
Old 10-08-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
I am bothered more by the crowd noise during some of Obama's Reverends comments from the pulpit.
Were they about drilling?

-spence
Old 10-08-2008, 05:00 PM   #7
gone fishin

Scares the hell out of me! Why didn't they drill the alloted acres that are sitting idle waiting for action. It seems to be a land use grab by the bunch who already have us by the short hairs.

low & slow 37
Old 10-08-2008, 06:22 PM   #8
Rob Rockcrawler

It is disturbing. Im not sure why. Is it that it makes me feel that people will vote for someone because they have a catchy drill baby drill slogan. Id like to give us more credit than that. I laugh whenever i see a palin speech. Cant wait to see the larry flint version.

Everything is better on the rocks.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:38 PM   #9
Nebe

it reminds me of Get R Done..

anyone who makes under 250 thousand a year really should vote democrat by the way. thats where the republicans love to fool you.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:12 PM   #10
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Talk about creepy--

" Choose Life "
Old 10-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #11
Joe

Fear not. The global downturn will reduce consumption to such a degree that it won't be necessary. Which is good, because there won't be any money to drill more wells or finance any initiatives with respect to energy.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:12 AM   #12
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

I thought one of the major highlights of the boring debate #2 was Obama telling why Drill baby drill wasn't the answer (Our small % of world wide production vs. our consumption) and how it would not lower prices; and McCain coming right back w/ we need to drill more offshore....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 10-10-2008, 09:16 AM   #13
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I thought one of the major highlights of the boring debate #2 was Obama telling why Drill baby drill wasn't the answer (Our small % of world wide production vs. our consumption) and how it would not lower prices; and McCain coming right back w/ we need to drill more offshore....
Bryan, a good example of the twists politicans make. Who ever said it was the answer? In fact, McCain said its NOT the long term answer, but for the short term it will HELP ease the current shortage. that was said multiple times.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 10-10-2008, 09:48 AM   #14
Nebe

Jim is correct.

If it were me... I would right now open up everything to drilling and mandate that 45% of the profits of new income from that oil go into solar, wind, natural gas and bio fuel development.

there is only so much oil left.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:52 AM   #15
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

whats the technology that keeps the space stations running for years? I have to think there is some pretty powerful concepts that can be leveraged.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 10-10-2008, 09:54 AM   #16
Bronko

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
They have been playing this on Weei on the morning commute, I was laughing out loud at first thinking it was a joke. The scary thing is, this is serious. This isn't an SNL skit, this is actually children of Obama supporters.

This is real Moonbat stuff. You think the neo-cons who call Obama "The Chosen One" are a little over the top huh? Settle in and watch this video and re-evaluate. Shouldn't these kids be out exercising or catching bugs?

I am so fearful of this man and his impending presidency. I cannot tell you the feeling of dread I have when I see his face.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 10-10-2008, 10:02 AM   #17
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Bryan, a good example of the twists politicans make. Who ever said it was the answer? In fact, McCain said its NOT the long term answer, but for the short term it will HELP ease the current shortage. that was said multiple times.
Jim,
the truth is there is no help that will come if it. Mccain can say what he wants about it being a short term benefit.
Maybe a 1% increase in the world market?
We are not a nationalized oil country, so it will go the world market and be gone. No net gain for American oil uses.
It will be at minimum 6 years before any additional oil comes from it anyways.

But it sounds good 'Drill baby drill'

Obama "... But we have 3 percent of the world's oil reserves and we use 25 percent of the world's oil. So what that means is that we can't simply drill our way out of the problem. And we're not going to be able to deal with the climate crisis if our only solution is to use more fossil fuels that create global warming. We're going to have to come up with alternatives, and that means that the United States government is working with the private sector to fund the kind of innovation that we can then export to countries like China that also need energy and are setting up one coal power plant a week. We've got to make sure that we're giving them the energy that they need or -- or helping them to create the energy that they need."

Left/Right aside, this is closer to what I believe. let's use the private sector to capitilze on alternative fuel tech, and then sell it to foreign countries. If we keep waiting for someone else, we're going to be left holding our own bags...

McCain started with a bit on Pork, not overly relevant to this discussion, so I didn't cut/paste it, but I didn't want to be accused of cherry picking quotes'

McCain "But the point is also on oil drilling, oil drilling offshore now is vital, so that we can bridge the gap. We can bridge the gap between imported oil which is, which is a national security issue as well as any other. And it will reduce the price of a barrel of oil, because when people know there's a greater supply, then the cost of that will go down. That's fundamental economics. We've got to drill offshore, my friends, and we've got to do it now."

I'm sorry, but this issue is bull%$%$%$%$ on both sides.
Drilling now, will not do %$%$%$%$ to reduce our need; when you have such a small piece of supply, you can't impact demand. And that is fundamental economics as this humble geologist sees it my friends

Last edited by RIROCKHOUND; 10-10-2008 at 10:12 AM..

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"