Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 03-09-2002, 08:35 PM   #1
ed morini

Epoxy for plug finish top coat

I have been using epoxy in various applications, including plug making and have seen on other boards some discussions concerning its use as a top coat. Has anyone on this board used it? I would like to have a discussion with anyone interested.
ed morini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 08:52 PM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Ed, welcome to the site!
I know a few of the guys around here use Envirotex epoxy and like the results.

What type of epoxy do you use and what is your procedure if you don't mind me asking?
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 09:09 PM   #3
ed morini

Slipnot:
I have used a number of epoxies over the years, although awhile ago I found out that there are only a few true manufacturers of the product and many different many formulators. That probably explains why I have experienced so many different results, in the early days catastrophes,later some satifactory results.

I have used : System Three, West System. Maas Epoxies, Ad-tech,and Raka Marine. of these Ad-tech (which makes their own) and Raka Marine (a DuPont Epoxy he formulates) have the most helpful with problems and ideas I have had for their uses.
Ad-Tech has fairly deep line of marine type. Raka Marine probably is the least expenssive of the lot and the results have been excellent.
Old 10-20-2002, 06:26 PM   #4
StarsnStripers
Ocean Master

Send a message via AIM to StarsnStripers
I really like the creek chub striper strikes, but I am dissapointed of how half the paint scratches off them so easily, without even catching a blue, just buy hitting a rock here and there.
Other baits seem to do the same, but y can;t they be like the Rat-L-trap or other baits with a scratch proof finish?? Can I buy this finish and apply it to these lures??
Thanx.

StarsnStripers@hotmail.com
Tight Lines!
-Vic
StarsnStripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 06:43 PM   #5
dondkim

ed morini

I have to work on few new and old plugs during winter. Where do you buy your "Raka Marine" epoxy? Is it a 30 minute epoxy?
Thanks in advance. Don

Last edited by dondkim; 10-27-2002 at 10:58 PM..
dondkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 07:51 PM   #6
ed morini

Dondkim,

You can view the on line catalog @ www.raka.com[URL].

I have found their product to be very economical and it's performance has been very good.

I would add a note of caution here when using epoxy for a top coat, it is better to have a sloe cure than a fast one. The reason being that as epoxy sets up it heats. The faster the hardener the faster the heat build up. This could cause blistering or bubbling of the finish coats on the plug. I would also recommend spinning the plugs slowly so the epoxy will not sag to one location. Depending on which hardener is used will determine the setting time (a common mistake here is to add more hardener thinking it will react faster, the result is a very soft finished product)

You may however mix two hardeners tovary the setting time.
After it cures it take approximately seven days to acheive full strength.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:39 PM   #7
Bob Senior

Guys:

I've used a product called Glaze Coat with great results. But if slow is good, this stuff is superb!!!!
Bob Senior is offline   Reply With Quote