Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Muzik

Muzik Muzik Forums - by popular request...

Old 02-12-2012, 06:06 AM   #1
basswipe

RIP Whitney Houston

Only 48.What a shame.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Reports today saying she died of Natural Causes.
Drug overdose.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Slipknot
Super Moderator

what a shame
died way too young

She had a beautiful voice
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I hope this doesnt come off as cold, but isnt it a little odd that the 80s pop superstars - Michael Jackson, now Whitney, and many others with arrests and drug issues while the hard rock/metal guys are still around? I mean would you have believed in 1985 that Ozzy, Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, and the countless hair bands would be still kicking while Houston and Jackson are dead?

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

RIP Whitney ,,,,
I'm sure there are many more but first OD on prescription drugs I remember was Elvis . We weren't even sure what that meant .. Came out Elvis OD'd on drugs (that's bad), then later we found out they were drugs prescribed by a doctor.. (oh that's ok ) Not like he's a real junky .
Just saying it is has been going on as long as I remember . Most of us have cheated death .

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #6
Joe

RI Jimmy: When you were in your late teens, did ever met a Michael Jackson or Whitney Houston fan that wasn't a f'n lightweight at partying?

People that were into them didn't start partying until they were seniors in high school or freshman at college. Now, your typical Sabbath fan was out in the woods drinking and smoking the sweet leaf in junior high, then quickly progressed into Hash,PCP, LSD and cocaine, like normal people. Then (at least the ones that didn't become junkies) got over that phase.
Michael and Whitney looked all bright eyed and sober when they hit the big time at 18 - probably the same f'd up lightweight syndrome.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
RI Jimmy: When you were in your late teens, did ever met a Michael Jackson or Whitney Houston fan that wasn't a f'n lightweight at partying?

People that were into them didn't start partying until they were seniors in high school or freshman at college. Now, your typical Sabbath fan was out in the woods drinking and smoking the sweet leaf in junior high, then quickly progressed into Hash,PCP, LSD and cocaine, like normal people. Then (at least the ones that didn't become junkies) got over that phase.
Michael and Whitney looked all bright eyed and sober when they hit the big time at 18 - probably the same f'd up lightweight syndrome.
That actually makes a lot of sense.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

most of those you mentioned were Brits....they could knock back Ales and Whisky with the best of them....its in their blood

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
the point

I work in the resturant biz. People all day wanna talk about this all day. She had much talent but drugs can affect the rich, the famous, to your own family and friends. Its sad but true. Just because she is famous she gets star light because of it, but people lose people who are close to them all the time to drugs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	429012_3289722003146_1270610195_3346308_1949273410_n.jpg
Views:	1030
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	50651  
the point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
Raider Ronnie

Too early for the Whitney jokes ?
Old 02-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #11
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Too early for the Whitney jokes ?
Nope, let's hear em'.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #12
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Nope, let's hear em'.
Not sure how to attach pictures from my iPhone
Got a few good ones

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 02-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #13
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Maybe a Seperate thread for those......

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #14
the point

I'll wait someone to break the ice on the Whitney jokes..
the point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:24 PM   #15
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
That actually makes a lot of sense.
When you are young and you drink too much or do too much of anything, you get a sense of your limits. And you learn how far to go before any sense of fun runs out and you're sick as a dog.

There's nobody around speed-balling or shooting heroin because you're with people who are at about the same level and had a more realistic sense of the drug culture - they could spot a real addict and were aware at an early age, that it wasn't an appealing life and had the sense to pull up short.

I don't know about you, but my friends had no desire for crack or heroin because the company they kept we're into more of a rite-of-passage with experimentation. But becoming a junkie? No thanks.

When you start older, you're starting with a much more dangerous, hard-core crowd, that are so dependent on drugs they've made it their life's ambition to worm their way into entourages, or any other scene where they could score drugs easily.

At the same time, people that started younger have mellowed to the point where getting wasted has lost its appeal. They grew up.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #16
Sea Dangles

blasphemer

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #17
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
When you are young and you drink too much or do too much of anything, you get a sense of your limits. And you learn how far to go before any sense of fun runs out and you're sick as a dog.

There's nobody around speed-balling or shooting heroin because you're with people who are at about the same level and had a more realistic sense of the drug culture - they could spot a real addict and were aware at an early age, that it wasn't an appealing life and had the sense to pull up short.

I don't know about you, but my friends had no desire for crack or heroin because the company they kept we're into more of a rite-of-passage with experimentation. But becoming a junkie? No thanks.

When you start older, you're starting with a much more dangerous, hard-core crowd, that are so dependent on drugs they've made it their life's ambition to worm their way into entourages, or any other scene where they could score drugs easily.

At the same time, people that started younger have mellowed to the point where getting wasted has lost its appeal. They grew up.
I can relate to that ,,, started real young ,, Sick and tired at 25 yrs old ..I have zero interest in getting loaded or high ,,

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 02-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #18
spence

Interesting how the state of New Jersey believes Houston's death deserves flags to be at half mast.

That's pretty absurd.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #19
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Interesting how the state of New Jersey believes Houston's death deserves flags to be at half mast.

That's pretty absurd.

-spence
that is crazy. At best she is someone with a great voice who made a handful of pop hits, thats it.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #20
fishsmith
DDG-51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
that is crazy. At best she is someone with a great voice who made a handful of pop hits, thats it.
x2 - Totally cheapens the meaning of a flag at 1/2 mast. I hope it's not a political move for added support.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:45 AM   #21
Joe

Pandering to the black community - it's a big deal to the them. Sad part is, if she had kept her sh_t together, she'd definitely would have been utilized by the Obama's in some capacity, and she could have made a much greater contribution than to o.d. in the bathtub and become a pathetic punchline.
Her early music had a very positive message that ran counter to the culture of disrespect and abuse so many black women experience, and popularized in hip-hop and rap.
Too bad making a difference was less important to her than getting wasted. To describe her as minor artist, with a handful of hits, runs counter to the sales figures. She was a major artist with huge sales figures.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:32 AM   #22
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Her voice "was" Gold ... squandered ,, wasted.. Really .. She had everyone buying the National Anthem .. She had a great gift ,, Unlike us common folk that claw and scratch our way through life, with only a strong back . May breed resentment .

(dob 4-21-07)