Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Saltwater Fly Fishing!

Saltwater Fly Fishing! New at Striped-Bass.Com, Saltwater Fly Fishing in the North East

Old 06-14-2017, 07:43 AM   #1
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Stripers on a worm hatch

Almost impossible to catch unless....

I went back to the flyrod and a fly we tied in 92/93 while hanging at Murats. Just a small hook with dark green chenille at the head and a dark red body. Total about 2 to 2 1/2".

So I absolutely crush the fish on it. Most were 18 to 20" except one that was I don't know how big. Took me into the backing and then snapped the 10# tippet. WHAT A BLAST.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:32 AM   #2
albythereforyou

NICE! I love me a good worm hatch! the water temps down by me are still kinda cool for our worms to come out, and so far I have yet to find a decent hatch by me. The nights I did find worms, I only found a few fish on them, nothing crazy...
albythereforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:30 AM   #3
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Have not seen one since.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:26 AM   #4
albythereforyou

last night I went looking in some 65 degree water and man i found the motherload of bunker and super dink bass feeding on worms. I could watch the bunker moving in the current actively eating worms (or just eating some plankton around them, but it sure looked like there were eating them). got a dozen or so super dink bass (barely larger then a bunker), and about 6 bunker hooked in the mouth on the fly.

I had my surf rod with me, so I livelined a bunker for 45 minutes with not a whiff. its so sad how #^&#^&#^&#^&ty the surf fishing in the western sound is.

Last edited by albythereforyou; 06-21-2017 at 12:24 PM..
Old 06-25-2017, 04:36 AM   #5
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by albythereforyou View Post
last night I went looking in some 65 degree water and man i found the motherload of bunker and super dink bass feeding on worms. I could watch the bunker moving in the current actively eating worms (or just eating some plankton around them, but it sure looked like there were eating them). got a dozen or so super dink bass (barely larger then a bunker), and about 6 bunker hooked in the mouth on the fly.

I had my surf rod with me, so I livelined a bunker for 45 minutes with not a whiff. its so sad how #^&#^&#^&#^&ty the surf fishing in the western sound is.
That's awesome stuff. Surf fishing has been pretty bad in RI also. I've been doing good in the boat but even there, you need to put your time in.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:56 AM   #6
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
That's awesome stuff. Surf fishing has been pretty bad in RI also. I've been doing good in the boat but even there, you need to put your time in.
Tons of fly rod sized bass down by me right now, on small bait, not worms. Haven't seen much bigger than that though...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by RIROCKHOUND; 06-25-2017 at 08:02 AM..

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:06 AM   #7
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Tons of fly rod sized bass down by me right now, on small bait, not worms. Haven't seen much bigger than that though...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Had couple of great days with a lot of fish mid-20s. Very slow the last few days.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:24 AM   #8
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Had couple of great days with a lot of fish mid-20s. Very slow the last few days.
The ones this morning were less than 2X the length of the 5" senko paddletail I was throwing. Smaller than pogies. Good sign of the future, but some of the tiniest I have ever caught.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:22 PM   #9
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
The ones this morning were less than 2X the length of the 5" senko paddletail I was throwing. Smaller than pogies. Good sign of the future, but some of the tiniest I have ever caught.
Where the heck are you finding Stripers that small?

Old 06-30-2017, 09:35 AM   #10
albythereforyou

Quote:
Where the heck are you finding Stripers that small?
I can't speak for him, but..

down near me, when they built I95, they dug out some VERY DEEP ponds (35 ft) for the fill for 95. some of those ponds they connected to LIS, and they fill and empty about 2+ with the tides...

I've caught striped bass and weakfish 3-5" inches long with the flyrod in them.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:27 AM   #11
bucko

Finding 3-5 inch bass in local rivers is good news.

Perhaps striped bass spawning is now occurring in our New England rivers. I have been told by a retired fish biochemist that all bass need to spawn is access to fresh water..
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote