Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 08-12-2014, 05:17 PM   #1
fcap60
Frank Capone

Shark Week

Anyone watching shark week on DSG ? I just watched the episode where they track Great Whites from Chatham to Truro. The huge shark was close to shore in most of its travels. In some cases in only 3' feet of water. You can see the swimmers and surfers in the background. Who knows what happens at night time or how much time they spend chasing and eating seals, and other things. Who would have known ??
fcap60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:26 PM   #2
bobber

I watched a show where they harpoon a shark with a homing device and then deploy a mini-sub that folows the fish around for hours to track its movements. unbelievable where they end up!! you can see sandbars and small bass in the pics as they go along the beach
bobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #3
Fly Rod

the series with the harpoon boat is about 3 years old....surprised no one down the cape has been bit

"When its not about money,it's all about money."...
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
fcap60
Frank Capone

Yep, that's the Cape Cod episode.

A few years back I was wading off the Chatham Sand bar under the light house. I walked out a bit to unsnag my needlefish from a submerged piece of debris and I remember the Seals around me.

Never Again !!
Old 08-12-2014, 06:19 PM   #5
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
the series with the harpoon boat is about 3 years old....surprised no one down the cape has been bit
a couple years ago a guy got bit on the leg on Balston beach by a juvenile great white, it let him go and he was bleeding but survived

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
seadogg

I used to surf quite a bit on the cape before all the white shark sightings. I remember one particular outing... A friend and I were at Wellfleet a day or two after a tropical storm and it was foggy as hell. I remember the surf was huge, well overhead and larger than anything I had previously attempted. It was exciting but the sea was menacing. After taking a beating, I finally reached the lineup and took a breather. Not 10 feet behind me an enormous gray seal pops up. Scared the s*@t out of me. I just got a bad feeling and decided to paddle in. Swore from that day I would only surf the cape during the winter.

Live it
seadogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:19 PM   #7
Zeal
Always a Rookie

Had a few run ins with mako sharks. First time and probably the only time I ever saw stripers jump out of the water like a bunch of bait fish......which in that case they were.

Seals....I keep seeing them very early in the mornings in the Fall at one spot, so creepy how all you see is a round outline of its head going at a pace at equal speed of the current but in the opposite direction. Never cranked a lure in so fast.

It always amazes me how so many species of aquatic life in the ocean come so close to shore when they could easily find bait and structure elsewhere. Also offshore how many species come to the surface when it is so deep...

"Your first word was "Fishing", not "Mom", not "Dad", "FISHING." - Mom

Black, White, Chartreuse/Parrot = the Holy Trinity
Zeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:08 AM   #8
fcap60
Frank Capone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
On the show last night, there was a shark attack 3 weeks after filming. I believe it was in Truro
Old 08-13-2014, 07:29 AM   #9
wdmso

I think with all the tracking data they have created an unreasonable fear in people . and if an attack happens by a tag shark we can do what humans do best exact revenge made convenient by the GPS tag
soon there will be no mysterys left in the world
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:59 AM   #10
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
I think with all the tracking data they have created an unreasonable fear in people . and if an attack happens by a tag shark we can do what humans do best exact revenge made convenient by the GPS tag
soon there will be no mysterys left in the world
I hope you're kidding . The research that is being done is amazing . Understanding these beasts leads to a greater awareness and better protection for them.
Now it sure does make a swim at Cahoon Hollow a little more intimidating
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:08 AM   #11
bassballer

ive been in orleans all week. swiming off nauset. i guess there was a couple spotted friday while we were there. Little uneasy feeling in the gut.
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:29 AM   #12
puppet

I would hope that the gps data will not fall into the hands of folk who
are trigger happy. I might be naive but I think most folk are past
killing critters on the endangered list.

As for the education we are getting about these buggers and where
they are cruising..... I think that its a good thing.

This past July I was with the family at nauset, and a grey seal was
camped out in front of us. It was overcast and raining and the
water clarity was extremely low because the surfline was choked
with mung. So not exactly swimming weather, but if it were not for
the seal and knowing that whites are potentially around.... I would
have been in the water. That day there was report of a white in the
nauset inlet. Yikes....

I would not say its an unreasonable fear not swimming that day,
but considering the conditions I would definitely say it may be
equivalent to walking around in a thunderstorm. Sort of tempting fate.

I am with Frank on this one. Having those seals wiggling in the same
water I am standing in just seems to be a bad idea. Thank
goodness most of those beaches require little to no wading if you
want to fish them.
puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #13
FishermanTim

It didn't take them long to crap out some "fantasy fish" stories for shark week.
I guess the real world just wasn't enough for the so-called shark experts at The Discovery Channel.
They created stories and CGI just below the level of "Sharknado" on the SI-FI channel.

So instead of getting a week's worth of useful knowledge about sharks, we get a week's worth of shark fantasy / made-for-tv shows.

Remember the mermaid? or Megladon?

Maybe they're having as bad a time finding sharks that want to be on tv as we are finding bass in our waters?

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #14
jonserfish

I THOUGHT THE EPISODE ON THE GLOWING SHARKS. ONE CAN LIGHT UP IT'S LIPS TO ATTRACT PLANKTON ANOTHER HAS SPIKES THAT LIGHT UP TO WARD OFF PREDATORS

I LOVE it when MY WIFE lets me fish
jonserfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:29 PM   #15
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Just be aware, it is not all 'science' on Shark week

http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and...g-people-again

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #16
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

...and then there was the program the other night about a Great White shark named "Submarine". Seems this fish can stay stationary in a vertical position and stalk it's prey. According to this program, the shark is so big it gives off sonar vibrations and it's prey feel it's presence so it has adapted to feed by not moving. RIGHT!!!
As far as I know the only shark that can stop moving and not die is the Nurse shark.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:34 PM   #17
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcap60 View Post
Anyone watching shark week on DSG ? I just watched the episode where they track Great Whites from Chatham to Truro. The huge shark was close to shore in most of its travels. In some cases in only 3' feet of water. You can see the swimmers and surfers in the background. Who knows what happens at night time or how much time they spend chasing and eating seals, and other things. Who would have known ??
Luckily for the swimmers, those whites have a single thing on their tiny minds---seals.

As far as the surfer who was bitten goes, I think he was laying on his board and paddling it with his hands and feet. Three guesses what he looked like from underneath.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:02 PM   #18
FishermanTim

When you compare the number of confirmed shark attacts, you find that Great Whites are not #1 when it comes to fatalities.
Great Whites have killed people, but as a result of blood loss. (Usually as they are being treated by emergency personnel)

The real killers are the tiger and bull sharks.
These are the ones that people always forget to watch out for.

Sure, GWs put on spectacular aerial displays when attacking seals, but they usually hit from below.

Tigers and Bulls will come from the side, and have no problem eating whatever they can put in their mouths.

GWs prefer seal and whale blubber, as it has a higher fat content and provides more energy for their metobolism. We just don't taste that good to them, which is why almost every GW attack was probably a "taste-test" bite. Once they realize we aren't seals, they let go.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:08 PM   #19
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
...and then there was the program the other night about a Great White shark named "Submarine". Seems this fish can stay stationary in a vertical position and stalk it's prey. According to this program, the shark is so big it gives off sonar vibrations and it's prey feel it's presence so it has adapted to feed by not moving. RIGHT!!!
As far as I know the only shark that can stop moving and not die is the Nurse shark.
How about "lil' Hitler" as another shark name?
I also loved how they glamorized the great hammerheads as "killers" when they are primarily a fish eating shark.

Also keep in mind that EVERY shark will eat meat if it is given tothem as free food. Not all will go for land based meals if they typically go for fish.

Another thing to defend the hammerhead's place of distiction:
Their heads are designed to find food (SEAFOOD) hidden under the sand. They do eat fish, and attack viciously to do so, but that's usually when it's attached to a rod and reel.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:29 PM   #20
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I hope you're kidding . The research that is being done is amazing . Understanding these beasts leads to a greater awareness and better protection for them.
Now it sure does make a swim at Cahoon Hollow a little more intimidating
Sadly I am not joking many would love to have the research to line their pockets . look at herring with the advance of technology it unfortunately cuts both ways it helps us understand how to help them and for others it helps reduce costs when they know exactly where and when they will be there and drag an area with such accuracy they leave nothing behind ..sorry I am cynical when it comes to we need to know everything for the sake of just knowing
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #21
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

Agreed that these fantasy shark stories are idiotic - the cape cod show from a few years back was awesome, they need to do another one
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:24 AM   #22
MakoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppet View Post
I would hope that the gps data will not fall into the hands of folk who
are trigger happy. I might be naive but I think most folk are past
killing critters on the endangered list.
Just for the record, white sharks are not on the endangered list.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #23
Mugz

I have an Uncle 70+ yrs old....was a lobsterman, charter captain, commercial fisherman all his life....he got the opportunity to fly along some well known shoreline (Horseneck Beach to name one) and told me he saw pods upon pods of sharks cruising the coast within casting distance at beaches....during the day while people swam feet away.
Mugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:19 AM   #24
rphud
GrandBob

My wife showed me a post that stated about 100 people are killed each year by cows (kicking or stomping) and only about 10 per year by sharks. Not sure if it is true or not, but I don't see Cow Week coming on anytime soon. Me, I am sticking with Shart Week on Southpark.
rphud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:29 AM   #25
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by rphud View Post
My wife showed me a post that stated about 100 people are killed each year by cows (kicking or stomping) and only about 10 per year by sharks. Not sure if it is true or not, but I don't see Cow Week coming on anytime soon. Me, I am sticking with Shart Week on Southpark.

Probably more true than you'd think.

I may start referring to this as "Shark Weak", based on the caliber of the shows they are throwing at us!

They'll probably wrap it all up in a nice neat package on Sunday with an entire night of "air jaws" episodes, including some that they make up in the CGI cutting room!

Old 08-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #26
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by rphud View Post
you mean? We're not even SAFE on Dry land???

i've heard of Pigs flying....hopefully they don't teach cows how to do it.

i just read/heard that SHARKS use 80% of their muscles compared to
humans that use only 40%.... that makes them twice as strong
than us Humans right off the get go.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #27
rphud
GrandBob

I think as long as you stay away from anything bigger than you you will stand a fighting chance. Given the 80/40 rule, you might want to stay away from anything more than 1/2 as big as you. Basically, nothing bigger or smarter than a fifth grader. Excluding snakes, spiders, pitbulls, and genetically mutated sea bass with laser beams.
rphud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:52 PM   #28
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
The real killers are the tiger and bull sharks.
These are the ones that people always forget to watch out for.

GWs prefer seal and whale blubber, as it has a higher fat content and provides more energy for their metabolism.
Same as Bears when fattening up for hibernation will peel and eat salmon skin and discard the rest (to the delight of seagulls) until
they arrive at enough fat reserved to get them thru the winter.

an interesting fact i heard on the louisiana shark show last night
was that BULL sharks have a higher testosterone level of anything
else on the planet making them the most ferocious beat of ALL.

now i'm not as ascared of Brahma BuLLS
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:52 PM   #29
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
.....an interesting fact i heard on the louisiana shark show last night
was that BULL sharks have a higher testosterone level of anything
else on the planet making them the most ferocious beat of ALL....
I guess you ain't been wrastlin' with tiger-moms at walmart on black friday?

Old 08-14-2014, 03:40 PM   #30
JackK
Not Jack

Here's an interesting graphic.

http://ripetungi.com/shark-attack/

Too much cool work being done with sharks to promote the bogus crap that discovery puts on TV. Lost all respect after Megalodon and Mermaids (ap). Does a "TOP TEN DEADLIEST SHARKS" show do anything decent? Nah.

I like that line, Shark Weak

And yes the irony of my avatar is not lost on me
JackK is offline   Reply With Quote