Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 06-22-2017, 11:34 AM   #1
Rockfish9

Cold water...

The recent heat waves haven't done much to warm up the ocean water in my area..now that the mud and silt have cleared from the river the cold ocean water is making a push up inside the river...last night in an effort to find a little larger size class fish I fished an area that is always colder ..when it meets the warm river water it makes a strong tide line... usually there are a few good fish along it.. and depending on the time of year they will be in the warm or cold.. last night fish were on both sides... the ones in the 48 degree water just rolled lazily on top... never even following the plugs... the warm water was 68... the fish were feeding on that side of the rip.... I had lots of fun.. but nothing over 7lbs was in that rip...

the picture of the GPs is hard to see but you can make the 48 degree temp out if you look hard..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170621_210527_resized.jpg (84.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 20170612_212537_resized.jpg (38.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 20170612_211745_resized_1.jpg (62.5 KB, 41 views)

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:56 AM   #2
Clammer

75 /76 in upper Narragansett bay ><>

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 02:53 PM   #3
putty

I haven't been out on the boat in a couple weeks, but there was a noticeable drop in water temp from Sunday evening to dusk on Tuesday (South Shore, MA). I was relatively comfortable on Sunday in shorts & water shoes doing some light pencil popping, but on Tuesday it was not comfortable at all doing some wet wading for a bit. legs and feet downright hurt! Tempts did seem to normalize to the touch last night, but I was smart enough to wear waders last night. The upwelling of cold ocean water on the east facing shoreline after a sustained W/SW blow is a real thing. Usually the fishing is pretty good once temps begin to normalize.

I think it was 2 years ago around July 4th when we had a full on heat wave- 3 days of 97-100 degree air temps with a honking W/SW wind. Before the heat wave water temps were hovering around 71 degrees...3 days of nearly triple digit air temps with big winds and temps had plummeted to 49 degrees
putty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:50 PM   #4
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Hi Joe
catching is catching
hope all is well

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:23 AM   #5
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
Hi Joe
catching is catching
hope all is well
Hi Bruce... yes you are right some times we get spoiled.. it's been fun..lots of fly rod and plug action...there is an amazing amount of small fish around.. but..I've just "opened" the tool box... there's a lot of fishy water I haven't covered yet this season...today is my last day of work until 7/10..so I'll find the big girls..I know there are a few around... the north side ( where you and I fished a few years back) runs a lot colder then than south side.. on the south side the incoming water pushes the brackish water up into the bay... that water will be in the upper 60's to low 70's... the place is loaded with fish....and boats and kayaks..most of the fish are tiny 12 - 20"...I'm heading south to my favorite beach tomorrow morning with a tank full of mackerel..

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:59 PM   #6
stripermaineiac

Normally I'm fishing in shorts by now. Still in waders an even then its cold.
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote