Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-20-2018, 10:15 AM   #1
Slipknot
Super Moderator

school shooting

Another school shooting in the news so I figured I would add one more thread in the Circlejerk this forum has become.

http://www.wbaltv.com/article/high-s...oting/19491405

The school Resource officer stopped the shooter with one shot and prevented any further causalities. Another words, a good guy with a gun stopped a bad guy with a gun.
In a state with very restrictive gun law infringements another immoral, evil, lunatic, deranged individual got a gun and hurt others and ends up critically wounded himself or herself. But to the simpletons and lazy, the idea that guns exist is what caused this so take them away. I will never understand that thought process.

If anyone who is stable and wants to go to the range and try shooting , just ask and I'd be glad to accommodate. Guns are an inanimate object, they don't shoot themselves. Safety is always first priority, as long as you follow the basic three rules, you should be fine.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:32 AM   #2
Nebe

Slip I love you man. Really I do. But your logic seems to say that it is ok that 3 high school kids were shot. The notion that a high school age kid can have access to guns in the first place is the problem.

Guns have been normalized in our society. People leave them laying around their house, under car seats, in glove boxes, sock drawers, etc.

I’m all for gun ownership and I’m all for a skilled armed guard in a school, but I am even more for very strict gun ownership rules- trigger locks, gun safes, etc. and a gun buying age of 21.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-20-2018, 10:52 AM   #3
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Good thing that had laws in place that would have prevented the shooter from acquiring the gun legally.

Minimum age in Maryland = 21
Shooter reported as a student at the school.

Laws DO help

*Sarcasm

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 03-20-2018 at 11:04 AM..

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 03-20-2018, 10:56 AM   #4
Slipknot
Super Moderator

it's ok?
I said nothing of the sort nor do I imply that so WTF

Maryland has the most restrictive laws, laws do not keep you safe. People who want a gun will find a way if they want it bad enough. Even states with laws about accessibility have criminals with guns. I do agree there should be common sense restrictions about locking up certain firearms but those laws should also allow someone the right to defend themselves in their own home in case of a home invasion or something.

21? with the problems of bullying and social media, 21 is not fair to those capable and willing to own a gun when they are mature enough to if they want

We all know it is a very complicated issue but banning guns is not the answer whatsoever. Enforce the laws on the books, get rid of the infringements on the law abiding.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:05 AM   #5
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post

Guns have been normalized in our society. People leave them laying around their house, under car seats, in glove boxes, sock drawers, etc.

Been normalized huh. Hundreds of years of normalizing. If more people were educated about them, less human violence involving guns would occur. Accidents can happen when the owner is not in control of their firearm so some personal responsibility needs to happen to prevent that. Education goes a long way.

People who leave them in places that are unsafe might not have children or if they do maybe those kids have respect. I never once thought about taking a hunting gun and even touching it when I was a kid. If kids are different today, then educate them. Like I said, it's complicated.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
it's ok?
I said nothing of the sort nor do I imply that so WTF

You said NOTHING to imply it's OK that kids were shot.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:53 AM   #7
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post

Laws DO help

*Sarcasm
7 of 10 states with strongest gun laws have lowest gun death rates. Could be coincidence, but probably not entirely.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:11 PM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
7 of 10 states with strongest gun laws have lowest gun death rates. Could be coincidence, but probably not entirely.
True, probably not entirely.

But in my opinion, suicides should not be lumped in with shooting others, those are very different things, and including them can lead to very misleading data.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:18 PM   #9
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Out of the top 10 states ranked for Gun Murder rate, only 1 of them is in the top 10 for gun ownership, and 2 of them are in the bottom 10 in the same category.

This is strictly murder by guns, not accidental or suicide.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 03-20-2018, 01:58 PM   #10
Nebe

I didn’t realize in my typing that I said that you thought that what happened was “ok”

Yes. This is all complicated.
I’m pro gun btw. I just think that it’s too easy to obtain them now.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:10 PM   #11
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

First off, it is terrible that this happened. Fortunately the school resource officer did what he had to do. It is terrible that he had to take another kid's life and easy for us to discuss in the abstract, without skin in the game. Frankly, I am thankful he was able to stop the shooter.

Quote:
Slip I love you man. Really I do. But your logic seems to say that it is ok that 3 high school kids were shot. The notion that a high school age kid can have access to guns in the first place is the problem.

I’m all for gun ownership and I’m all for a skilled armed guard in a school, but I am even more for very strict gun ownership rules- trigger locks, gun safes, etc. and a gun buying age of 21.
So, say preventing people with mental health issues from obtaining firearms might be good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Out of the top 10 states ranked for Gun Murder rate, only 1 of them is in the top 10 for gun ownership, and 2 of them are in the bottom 10 in the same category.

This is strictly murder by guns, not accidental or suicide.
^^^^ This

Quote:
I didn’t realize in my typing that I said that you thought that what happened was “ok”

Yes. This is all complicated.
I’m pro gun btw. I just think that it’s too easy to obtain them now.
Easy? Seven day wait, NICS check, in the People's Republic of Quahog. Would not call that easy - harder in Mass in some ways.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-21-2018, 06:00 AM   #12
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
so this report must be mistaken because Maryland has the 3rd or 4th strictest gun laws in the nation