Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-13-2019, 05:08 PM   #61
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
So the money I give to my church and they use to pay off the mortgage benefits some poor person in the community by putting food in their stomach - How exactly does that occur when they are taking a large % off the top for salaries and building, etc.

Edit - This isn't about churches giving to charity. It is about the Republican party and their bias towards whitey (of which I am one).

Your arguement just fell apart.
"And pls. tell me how much that is donated to churches is used for charity? What is that %? "

Beats me. Some, not all, just like any other charity.

"I never said that so either show me where I said that or admit you lied"

You said conservatives only care about white people with money. I pointed to an obvious example of how incorrect that is. Do you have any evidence to support your claim that I care only about white people with money? Or John McCain, who adopted a black girl from Bangladesh? Maybe she was so rich, that McCain overlooked her skin color.

"Can hospitals deny people coverage? "

They can (except in the ER), they choose not to. Those racist bastards.

"So the money I give to my church and they use to pay off the mortgage benefits some poor person in the community"

Yes, it allows the church to continue to exist. They have to pay the mortgage, and they have no other revenue. I don't know what church you belong to. The Catholic church supports hospitals, soup kitchens, homeless shelters, adoption programs, etc. Where do you think all that money comes from?

"It is about the Republican party and their bias towards whitey"

No, it's about the liberal claim that we only care about whitey, a claim repeated a trillion times, but with no truth to it. What Republican policies target blacks?

"Your arguement just fell apart"

By baseless claims of racism? The hell it did.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:16 PM   #62
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Neither of them hate Jews, you as usual are misinformed by right wing media attempting to portray them as evil.

They have concerns about the actions of Israel oppressing the Palestinians.

Read the tweet you cite "evil doings" does not mean Israel is inherently evil, unless you are bonkers.

I assume you know very little about Palestine and Israel other than the rhetoric of the US political machine.
Here is a site that is concerned about the Palestinians, as is much of the world outside the US.
https://jewishvoiceforpeace.org/isra...-conflict-101/
Read the tweet I posted. She has admitted to the tweet and didn't take it down. How is that misinformed? Please be specific?

You said the 17 Palestinians killed were a "massacre". Israel says it was self defense. ANy chance you are misinformed?

"They have concerns about the actions of Israel oppressing the Palestinians. "

Me too. Do they have any concerns at all, about how some Palestinians treat Israelis?

This kook also wants to defund all of Homeland Security, and asked for leniency for Americans who got caught joining ISIS. And she wants Allah to show all of us the true nature of Israel.

That's super.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:15 PM   #63
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Read the tweet I posted. She has admitted to the tweet and didn't take it down. How is that misinformed? Please be specific?
I find nothing to indicate that she has done anything wrong, specifically. Perhaps if she had tweeted “ I pray to God that the rest of the world sees the evil that Iran inflicts on the Middle East you would have acclaimed her
You said the 17 Palestinians killed were a "massacre". Israel says it was self defense. ANy chance you are misinformed?
None, Israel is practicing genocide on the Palestinians.
What they have done to Palestine is unacceptable

"They have concerns about the actions of Israel oppressing the Palestinians. "

Me too. Do they have any concerns at all, about how some Palestinians treat Israelis?
What would you do if Massachusetts invaded Connecticut and drove its inhabitants to Hartford, cut off their power, sewer and water and stopped trade and communications.

This kook also wants to defund all of Homeland Security, and asked for leniency for Americans who got caught joining ISIS. And she wants Allah to show all of us the true nature of Israel.

That's super.
She wants to defund ICE which has been given unconstitutional powers.
Just as I said you accept news as presented and don’t question
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-13-2019, 07:22 PM   #64
Jim in CT

Quote:
She wants to defund ICE which has been given unconstitutional powers.
Just as I said you accept news as presented and don’t question
she also said she wants to defund DHS. that’s why i posted that. She is capable
of saying multiple things.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:24 PM   #65
Jim in CT

here Pete...

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/oma...arch%20Results
Old 02-13-2019, 07:34 PM   #66
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
here Pete...

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/oma...arch%20Results
That’s just a tad bit misconstrued.
But as usual you fell for it.
Ever the authoritarian, you would surrender all your rights for a promise of safety.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-13-2019, 08:23 PM   #67
Jim in CT

congresswoman Omar, is
now going after weightlifting competitions, she is saying that biological males have no advantage in weightlifting over biological
females ( this from
the party of science). she is completely insane. Cortez is stupid
but amusing. Omar is dangerous and completely deranged. and she is a jew hating bigot. and she’s in congress.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:29 PM   #68
Jim in CT

Quote:
That’s just a tad bit misconstrued.
But as usual you fell for it.
Ever the authoritarian, you would surrender all your rights for a promise of safety.
what did she say? not $1 for DHS.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:31 PM   #69
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
congresswoman Omar, is
now going after weightlifting competitions, she is saying that biological males have no advantage in weightlifting over biological
females ( this from
the party of science). she is completely insane. Cortez is stupid
but amusing. Omar is dangerous and completely deranged. and she is a jew hating bigot. and she’s in congress.
Not quite as bad as the President
https://youtu.be/r7LRXPnGkPY

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-13-2019, 08:37 PM   #70
Jim in CT

Quote:
Not quite as bad as the President
https://youtu.be/r7LRXPnGkPY
trump is all
over your brain, rent free. it’s all
about him.

given what you think of him, if she’s only a tad less bad, that’s pretty bad, isn’t it?
Old 02-13-2019, 08:56 PM   #71
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
trump is all
over your brain, rent free. it’s all
about him.

given what you think of him, if she’s only a tad less bad, that’s pretty bad, isn’t it?
Not even close
Fox has removed the part of your brain that allows you to think for yourself

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-13-2019, 09:26 PM   #72
Jim in CT

Quote:
Not even close
Fox has removed the part of your brain that allows you to think for yourself
i disagree with Trump
and republicans regularly. when have you ever said anything good about Trump?
Old 02-13-2019, 09:28 PM   #73
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
i disagree with Trump
and republicans regularly. when have you ever said anything good about Trump?
I have said many times he thinks he is the greatest con man ever.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-13-2019, 09:44 PM   #74
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Neither of them hate Jews, you as usual are misinformed by right wing media attempting to portray them as evil.

They have concerns about the actions of Israel oppressing the Palestinians.

Read the tweet you cite "evil doings" does not mean Israel is inherently evil, unless you are bonkers.

I assume you know very little about Palestine and Israel other than the rhetoric of the US political machine.
Here is a site that is concerned about the Palestinians, as is much of the world outside the US.
https://jewishvoiceforpeace.org/isra...-conflict-101/
PeteF.,surely you are aware that her coworkers have openly expressed their displeasure with her ANTI-JEWISH rhetoric. Their words,not mine.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 02-13-2019, 10:52 PM   #75
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
PeteF.,surely you are aware that her coworkers have openly expressed their displeasure with her ANTI-JEWISH rhetoric. Their words,not mine.
Other politicians?
She apologized for her use of the trope, more than others have done.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-14-2019, 06:58 AM   #76
Jim in CT

Quote:
Other politicians?
She apologized for her use of the trope, more than others have done.
so if trump apologized for his
moral lapses, you’d support him?

she is deranged.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:35 AM   #77
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
so if trump apologized for his
moral lapses, you’d support him?

she is deranged.
Jim,
Character is Destiny
Trump won’t change

From Forbes

The Intrusion Of Reality

There’s a catch with the use of fictions in politics. “The chief disability of propaganda,” wrote Hannah Arendt in her classic book, The Origins of Totalitarianism, “is that it cannot fulfill the longing of the masses for a completely consistent, comprehensible, and predictable world without seriously conflicting with common sense.”
For a time, common sense can be held at bay and prevented from intruding into the cocoon of reassuring fiction. Yet the deliberate distortion of reality is also the cause of propaganda’s inevitable downfall. It is the inexorable collision with reality that eventually ruins the cocoon. It’s not a matter of whether. It’s only a question of when.
For a time, common sense can be held at bay and prevented from intruding into the cocoon of reassuring fiction. Yet the deliberate distortion of reality is also the cause of propaganda’s inevitable downfall. It is the inexorable collision with reality that eventually ruins the cocoon. It’s not a matter of whether. It’s only a question of when.
The trifecta of disappearing tax refunds, falling farm incomes, and an extended government shutdown, along with the failure to secure funding for the wall are the most powerful shocks to the cocoon so far. The shutdown alone made significant inroads into Trump’s support. As of today (Wednesday), only two days before the Friday deadline, Trump hasn’t ruled out the possibility of yet another shutdown, although most see that as “a sequel no one needs.” But who knows? As Bret Stephens points out in the New York Times, Trump is perfectly capable of “committing suicide twice.”

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-14-2019, 07:55 AM   #78
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim,
Character is Destiny
Trump won’t change

From Forbes

The Intrusion Of Reality

There’s a catch with the use of fictions in politics. “The chief disability of propaganda,” wrote Hannah Arendt in her classic book, The Origins of Totalitarianism, “is that it cannot fulfill the longing of the masses for a completely consistent, comprehensible, and predictable world without seriously conflicting with common sense.”
The trifecta of disappearing tax refunds, falling farm incomes, and an extended government shutdown, along with the failure to secure funding for the wall are the most powerful shocks to the cocoon so far. The shutdown alone made significant inroads into Trump’s support. As of today (Wednesday), only two days before the Friday deadline, Trump hasn’t ruled out the possibility of yet another shutdown, although most see that as “a sequel no one needs.” But who knows? As Bret Stephens points out in the New York Times, Trump is perfectly capable of “committing suicide twice.”
I see! So Trump is defined by his actions (which is totally fair), but Omar is not, as long as she apologizes. So she can keep bashing Jews for being evil and only caring about money, but as long as she apologizes each time, she's not a bigot.

That makes ALL KINDS of sense.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:03 AM   #79
scottw

Quote:

but Omar is not

I encourage her to speak freely and often ....another gift for 2020
Old 02-14-2019, 08:19 AM   #80
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I encourage her to speak freely and often ....another gift for 2020
I know what you mean, and that's exactly how I feel about Cortez, who I feel is amusing, completely harmless, and a benefit to the Republicans. Omar, I feel, is way more dangerous, a near-radical Muslim in Congress. When someone like her says she doesn't want to fund ICE or even Homeland Security, the hair on the back of your neck goes up a little bit. Not too fond of the Jews either, apparently she feels they are a bit much.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #81
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
I see! So Trump is defined by his actions (which is totally fair), but Omar is not, as long as she apologizes. So she can keep bashing Jews for being evil and only caring about money, but as long as she apologizes each time, she's not a bigot.

Perhaps you think she is the only person who ever said anything that could be construed as anti-Semetic, and you gladly accept it without outcry when McCarthy accuses Jews of trying to buy the midterms.

From Haaretz
At the start of the week, Democratic Congresswoman Ilhan Omar from Minnesota was back in hot water over tweets on Israeli influence in American politics. This time, according to Omar, “It’s all about the Benjamins,” the cash keeping U.S. civil servants towing the Zionist line.

It’s telling that Ilhan Omar fell so quickly back into an anti-Semitic trope after a protracted public controversy over earlier tweets on Israel hypnotizing the world. It is also grating to see Republicans like House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, who once suggested wealthy Jews were trying to “buy” the midterm elections, pounce at the opportunity to score partisan points. Congresswoman Omar did ultimately apologize, albeit only after censure by the House Democratic leadership.

The pretext for Congresswoman Omar’s latest contentious tweet was Kevin McCarthy’s threat of punitive action against her and Rashida Tlaib over their Israel criticism. McCarthy admonished the two Democratic representatives in a public way because it mobilizes the Republican base and inflames a wedge issue among Democrats. Contra Omar, no “Benjamins” were required to make such a move politically expedient for the GOP, even as it helps turns Israel into a partisan football.

Of course you could read the whole article, it's far more interesting than just those bits.
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/...442D2C02838EAF

Lets Go Darwin