Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 10-22-2010, 06:18 AM   #61
Rockfish9

I had about 4 dozen plugs primmed and waiting for paint since last April, that go for a charity raffel I donate to each fall, I started painting them last night, I inspected them closely, none of them bled through...I primed all of these no more than 48 hours after sealing...so I'm confident that once you thin the TO a little and adjust your dry time all should be good..

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #62
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Thanks, Joe.

I just spun all 25 bodies on the lathe. I got just about all the old oil off with sandpaper and I'm back to step 1 again in the finishing process.

I'm going to mix up another batch with the turps/tung and report back.

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Where all the fish is blind
Back Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:59 PM   #63
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

go mike go. luv to see the enthusiasm.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #64
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Been doing 50/50 tung and terps. Needless to say things are much improved, but I still find the drying time with any oil based sealers to be lengthy. I'm giving all my stuff 2-3 weeks before I prime, mainly on account of the end grain still being wet despite the plug body itself being dry. I also made a "custom" dryer...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0003.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	42395  

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Old 11-11-2010, 10:21 AM   #65
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Mike I just sealed some large plugs, 3 hour soak, AYC and Pine, and I was priming 3 days later with the spar sealer. I usually don't worry about time to dry, I usually wait at least a week most times as I got plenty of stuff in various stages, but it does dry pretty fast. Not trying to dis your technique. There are many ways to seal a plug. Got to use what you like and experimenting the way you are will teach you a lot more than just going on what some person tells you. More for others just getting into this insanity to offer some alternatives. I'll bet they both offer the same end result.
I thought I was the only one who dried stuff at work.

I soak at home and hang at work, and then hang at home after they are semi dried after the work day, nite is over. That way they don't stink up the house.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 11-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #66
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
Mike I just sealed some large plugs, 3 hour soak, AYC and Pine, and I was priming 3 days later with the spar sealer. I usually don't worry about time to dry, I usually wait at least a week most times as I got plenty of stuff in various stages, but it does dry pretty fast. Not trying to dis your technique. There are many ways to seal a plug. Got to use what you like and experimenting the way you are will teach you a lot more than just going on what some person tells you. More for others just getting into this insanity to offer some alternatives. I'll bet they both offer the same end result.
I thought I was the only one who dried stuff at work.

I soak at home and hang at work, and then hang at home after they are semi dried after the work day, nite is over. That way they don't stink up the house.
The spar unquestionably dries much quicker than the oil. Had I just stuck with your recommendation from last spring I would still be using spar. Seeing I dropped 50 bucks on a gallon of tung, I feel guilty not using it all up. Once its gone I'm going back to the spar.

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Old 11-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #67
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
....... I usually wait at least a week most times as I got plenty of stuff in various stages, ........
Sort of the understatement of the year I'd say.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #68
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Beach View Post
The spar unquestionably dries much quicker than the oil. Had I just stuck with your recommendation from last spring I would still be using spar. Seeing I dropped 50 bucks on a gallon of tung, I feel guilty not using it all up. Once its gone I'm going back to the spar.
That sucks that you cannot get the stuff to dry.. that is/was never an issue with the Tung for me....it's coming down to the cost and longevity/practicality of it for me...

One thing that all of this varnish ( includijng urethain) has in common... it is still derived from the reduction of Tung or linseed, and sometimes flax seed oils... then thinners and UV blockers are added....i guess it all boils down( as many of us have said many times) it's about what works for each individual....

FYI... if my spelling is worse today than usual.. I forgot my damn glasses today.. I lost the ones keep in my truck... so I'm screwed!

Old 11-11-2010, 01:08 PM   #69
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Beach View Post
LOL. I usually don't even listen to my own recommendations. I got several cans of stuff down my cellar half full that I have given up on ,and PNG has us all beaten, Eddie too, both always experimenting.
If val oil was still easy to get I'd probably still be using that.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #70
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Sort of the understatement of the year I'd say.
Hey hey hey , but true

I'm off to work right now so later I can band saw up some stock to start some more plugs, not finishing the many that are in various stages of completion.
That is my goal though this year to finish up stuff I have already started, really it is.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #71
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

joe are still using the blended tung oil??

STORMR Pro Staff Member
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #72
Hookset

This is a great post with a ton of information. I have been using BLO, but to be honest it scares me thinking I could burn the place down. Luckily it has been farily cold and I just dry the plugs with a couple paper towls and thow them in the fire place to get rid of. That Tung oil sounds great, but expensive. I may give it a try when my current mixed BLO is gone.
Hookset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #73
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchris401 View Post
joe are still using the blended tung oil??
still using it... have changed the mixture to a 50/50 mix with poly utrethain, thinnned with about 20% oderless minerl spirits... this combo is less prone to skinning and is less expensive.. dries quickly and never bleeds through... off season I store in 1 gallon paint cans filled to capacity and sealed with duct tape... at the start of the season the mixture is poured through a paint funel into the tubes i use to dip my plugs in... after the plugs have been "dipped and dripped" I put covers on the 3" PVC tubes I use to dip my plugs in and cap them off with a wedge shaped cover ( so I can get them out) the solution in the tubes requires stirring each time I need to use it...

Old 12-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #74
smac

Great post. So glad I have 3 gallons of val oil on the shelf.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:24 AM   #75
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac View Post
Great post. So glad I have 3 gallons of val oil on the shelf.
I still use Val Oil and if it is unopened I'd gladly buy it from you.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #76
Eric Roach
Big E

Anyone still using Tung as their sealer?
Eric Roach is offline   Reply With Quote