Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #421
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake View Post
pbadad, those look great! Thanks for the tip, too! gonna try that.
2nd that ... love that cloudy blue color ..

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #422
Backbeach Jake

[QUOTE=Tagger;737977]nice plug Fred ,,, Cape Cod Ceadar ? Flap refferrance ..

Hi Eddie!
From an Eastern Cedar in my front yard. From the top of it you can see P-town and beyond to Wood End and Race Point. Look the other way and you can see Head of the Meadow and Coast Guard. Look South and you can see Pamet and beyond. Not that I was ever in the top of that tree...
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #423
eastendlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagger View Post
nice plug Fred ,,, Cape Cod Ceadar ? Flap refferrance ..

Frank,, You'll enjoy catching on that plug .. nice job ..

Lu .. I think I got that same jig saw ..brillant .

I havn't really been hitting it as hard as you guys ,,. Been messing with old school hook hangers,,cotter pins ,, Flaptail quest got me interrested .. made some predators,, and 3 differant flaptails going now.. I expect it to be slow this winter ,, so thinking more time in the future .. Sux cutting that goofy beetlejuice face on plugs .. Just winging it ,, Made a 2 belly hook plug that ended up a single hook after back and forth on the beltsander trying to get face even ..

Dave Ross pm'd you ... cool darters
Eddy which face got a pic i may be able to help you as i am working on some flaptails myself.

Quote:
2nd that ... love that cloudy blue color ..
3rd that and yes that cloudy blue color jumps out at you.

Originally Posted by Flaptail
"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."
eastendlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #424
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Here is Frank in a few more of the finished body! A little more hand sanding and Frank will have them in sealer! Nice work Frank and a great day! Thanks for coming by.....and for the coffee!

I, as well as many other people are lucky to call Bigfish a friend. Larry did most of the first one, then we split the second one, and he said he didn't look as I did the third one all myself, but I think Bigfish looked over my shoulder a little.

In that picture of me holding the two plugs I look strange. I think I was OD'ing on sawdust. Or the meds for the pulled back muscles were wearing off. Any way I had a wonderful day in the cave with Bigfish. Now I just have to keep from screwing up the paint job.
Peace everyone.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #425
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Hey Lu ... took a while to do that .. hope your still there .. any help appreciated .. I have no control just winging it on the belt sander .. Shorter plug was much longer ,,but I planned to make some single hook ,, still need a method ... This can't be the way Heddon di it .. Atom like plug I'm not sure on the face yet .. but I plan to do cotter pin hangers on there .. Made flaptail brackets myself .. Bought picture hanging kit and threw everything away ,, just wanted brass nails .. sure there's a better way there too .. Beetle Juice !!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flap.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	37616   Click image for larger version

Name:	flaps.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	37617   Click image for larger version

Name:	flapshard.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	37618  

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 01-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #426
pbadad

Glad you guys like. I feel the key is the slow drying paint. Testers spray enamel and the Krlon Short cuts set up to touch in 30 min. The 12 min spray colors tack quickly when you remove the wrap or slide thru your latex gloved hand. Gotta go. Will ck. in later. Have a sparkling week.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #427
eastendlu

Quote:
Hey Lu ... took a while to do that .. hope your still there .. any help appreciated .. I have no control just winging it on the belt sander .. Shorter plug was much longer ,,but I planned to make some single hook ,, still need a method ... This can't be the way Heddon di it .. Atom like plug I'm not sure on the face yet .. but I plan to do cotter pin hangers on there .. Made flaptail brackets myself .. Bought picture hanging kit and threw everything away ,, just wanted brass nails .. sure there's a better way there too .. Beetle Juice !!!!!
Eddy i am making the same type of lure (Heddon Vamp) i will be making a jig to make the faces today i will send all info and take pics for you as i figured an easy way to do it.

"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."
Old 01-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #428
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendlu View Post
Eddy i am making the same type of lure (Heddon Vamp) i will be making a jig to make the faces today i will send all info and take pics for you as i figured an easy way to do it.

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 01-10-2010, 01:37 PM   #429
eastendlu

Eddy i wa going to make my own flaptail holders were did you get those?

Old 01-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #430
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
BF and Frank, did you cut the front of the pencil on a bandsaw? The bottom looks like you maybe used a drum sander???

I would be really interested in seeing some jigs for cutting different plug blanks on a band saw.
Ross, here is what I use for pencil faces. Just rough out the angle with a saw and make the face with this angled v block (glued up 2 4x4's).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ppfacejig1.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	37624   Click image for larger version

Name:	ppfacejig2.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	37625  
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:31 PM   #431
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Eddy i wa going to make my own flaptail holders were did you get those?
I made them myself ... hook holders are large from Moores... I think netcraft sells them too .. I know swivels are better than brass nails and thru wired over hangers ,,. trying to make something old looking .. something Flap would like .. I also plan on fishing them ..

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 01-10-2010, 07:13 PM   #432
Diggin Jiggin

Eddie had pm'd me to ask if I hyrdro oriented the darters and it was an interesting question so I am posting the answer here.

I did not hydro orient them this year (at least not yet). The end grain of maple soaks up a lot of sealer, in fact I oversealed a batch last year and they were too heavy to float once they were wired.

last year I hydro oriented them before cutting the slope, and after they were sealed, some of them floated differently. I think the weight of the sealer absorbed thru the end grain on the darter slope made them float differently.

There was a discussion a few years back about hydro orienting I think on SOL, and someone had said that if a primed blank of theirs floated wrong, they'd found if they just sprayed another coat of primer on one side that the weight of the paint was enough to even it out. So I was going to try that this year.
Diggin Jiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:31 PM   #433
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

probably why Musso went to plastic, too many variables. maybe only worth sealing for a short time line and take your chances with water intrusion.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #434
eastendlu

Eddy here is the jig i made today for doing the faces on the Vamps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rmpics 006.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	37626   Click image for larger version

Name:	rmpics 007.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	37627   Click image for larger version

Name:	rmpics 008.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	37628  

Old 01-10-2010, 09:17 PM   #435
Backbeach Jake

That could be done with a drum sander in a drill press, too! Woohoo! Thanks Lu!
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #436
numbskull

I wish you hadn't shown that. I've resisted making a router table for 20 years, now I feel like I need one
Old 01-10-2010, 09:42 PM   #437
eastendlu

Can never have enough tools George.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:09 AM   #438
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

nice Lu ... you screw the blanks on jig up thru the bottom ?

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 01-11-2010, 07:32 AM   #439
Diggin Jiggin

Lu thats a great jig. You guys have some ingenious ideas about how to do things...
Diggin Jiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:32 AM   #440
eastendlu

Quote:
nice Lu ... you screw the blanks on jig up thru the bottom ?
No Eddy i have two wooden dowels sticking out and mount the lure on them(belly holes).I will take more pics when i get home later.Takes about 20 seconds to do both sides.When i made the pattern i double sided taped two pieces of oak and then marked the wood for the cut then separated the pieces giving me exact copies flip one and you get a mirror image of the other.The hard part was the spacing before i would commit to screwing it together i used crazy glue to hold the pattern for the first side as i tested it to get the desired depth once i got it i predrilled and screwed it tight then did the same for the other side.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #441
eastendlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
I wish you hadn't shown that. I've resisted making a router table for 20 years, now I feel like I need one
George looking at your drill press i am surprised you have not made a table top for it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	37638  

Old 01-11-2010, 12:11 PM   #442
numbskull

And looking at your extension cord set up I wonder why you're still alive. Stay away from toaster ovens is all I can say.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:20 PM   #443
eastendlu

Quote:
And looking at your extension cord set up I wonder why you're still alive. Stay away from toaster ovens is all I can say.
Just surge protecting everything .

Old 01-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #444
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

trying to make this ,,, Heddon (swimmer-flaptail) in upper right hand corner .. PIA .. very labor intensive .. I can see I already messed up line tie ,, mines horizontal .. I never saw a flaptail swimmer .. can't see it swimming very well ,, Thanks Lu .... nice inferno Numby ..

Saltwater Lures

I'm going to have so much solder on top of this plug I gotta belly weight so it don't flip ..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hddonflap.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	37639   Click image for larger version

Name:	grommets.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	37640  

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 01-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #445
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Just surge protecting everything .
I had the cord catch in my drill press and it ripped the 4' flourescent light off the ceiling on top of me .. I had to change my shorts ..

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 01-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #446
eastendlu

I never seen that lure Eddy and your solder work looks great nice job on all the hardware .I can't wait to see the finished product.I know we are not the only two making flaptails i wonder what the other mad scientists are working on?

Old 01-17-2010, 08:43 AM   #447
pbadad

Morning guys. started painting the army of plugs. An endless task, especially when you have airbrush hell. finally search threads on brush remedies. Cutting paint w/50/50 windex and water worked much better than straight water. Plus I was using to thick of consisitency. The single stage gun was used for base coats and top/bottom colors. Dual stage for fogging and lateral lines. I use the Bernzy formula for cleaning. Lucky for myself I have a utility sink w/in reach of my airbrush to clean out w/air and hot water. Had the heat gun set up to set the paint. Don't know if necessary but I like the way the paint dries to faciitate a second coat or color overlay. Haven't spun anything inweeks. Prepping the plugs to get ready for paint took all spare time. I have a template made for a GTS-2 & GTS-3. Hope everyone had a good week.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:45 AM   #448
numbskull

Good mornin' all. I got so much in the works I'm getting dizzy. Only a month to finish it........gonna be ugly. Nothing is past the primer stage and most haven't even seen sealer yet.

Winter ain't long enough these days.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:51 AM   #449
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Good mornin' all. I got so much in the works I'm getting dizzy. Only a month to finish it........gonna be ugly. Nothing is past the primer stage and most haven't even seen sealer yet.

Winter ain't long enough these days.
i hear you george. I have not primed anything yet. I think this year I am not going to kill myself this last month and bring what I have finished and that's it. Will give me more time to visit others and enjoy myself more. Last year was very hectic the last few weeks and it got to be not fun.I am looking at a few hundred sealed plugs right now and I know there is no way in hell they are all getting finished and I don't really care.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #450
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Hi guys, I have a few plugs to epoxy from last year and many scattered bodies but I'd like to turn a few before the fest. I was thinking of trying that bluefish bomb plug.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote