Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-31-2010, 08:06 AM   #541
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Got up at 5 am. Just finished sealing about 25 various bodies...this stuff is a lot of work, I tell ya...got a long beard and haven't seen my family in weeks...WTF.

I'm also looking at the $2000 needlefish(my first almost completed plug) hanging in my basement with paint peeling off and wondering wtf I got myself into here.

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Where all the fish is blind
Back Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:09 AM   #542
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
So with PlugFest just weeks away????

What do you guys have going?? What goodies can we look forward to seeing??

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:15 AM   #543
Backbeach Jake

I hope to have some in sealer by tonight. I slotted and drilled yesterday. I've put myself way behind with recent events and all.
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:25 AM   #544
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
I was hoping to attend so as to provide comic relief for the masses, but I'll be up in NH with the family. Can I send you something to display if I get the paint to stick? I think the jointed eels are going to be good.

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Old 01-31-2010, 08:28 AM   #545
pbadad

BB I hear you. I went on a spinning spree since a duplicator found it's way in my basement. Over 150 plugs , basically 5-6 designs since November. The turning was the easy part. With the bodies sealed and primed the ardulous tasks start. This wouldn't be as time consuming in respect if it was a day job. After work it's downstairs for a couple hours. Painting is done on the bulk and I started to assemble and epoxy. Thats seems to go forever. I hope to say good by to epoxy finishes some day. I would like to dip finish 1 part waterbase. The search continues. I must say the epoxy finish applied w/ 1" fpam brushes works quick and well. I do 4 seperate batches of 6 cc's and go thru a couple brushes. Mix in new condiment containers for each. Yesterday I wired 3 dozen and coated another dozen. The Atom 5B models are assembled and ready for finish. Needles need wiring but are epoxied and the spin Atoms and the jrs along with the BM jrs need hardware. Let me say when you take on a large batch of plugs it's surprising how fast your plug hardware decreases!

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:31 AM   #546
BILLC

Quote:
Just finished putting in the eyes and grommets on the best batch I have done to date. Pikies and a couple of peanuts.
BILLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:13 AM   #547
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Beach View Post
Got up at 5 am. Just finished sealing about 25 various bodies...this stuff is a lot of work, I tell ya...got a long beard and haven't seen my family in weeks...WTF.

I'm also looking at the $2000 needlefish(my first almost completed plug) hanging in my basement with paint peeling off and wondering wtf I got myself into here.
Everybody gets warned that comes in the door Mike .. Many think we're kidding . Nothing like building the most beautiful plug you ever seen then your final epoxy coat crawls, gets snotty and sticky. This hobby will rip your heart out . You do get past the totally ignore the family stage though ..

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:13 AM   #548
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

There are over 200 plugs in primer hanging in my sunroom above the pellet stove. This is where they hang till they dry. How many I will actually finish this year I have no clue, a mere fraction probably. Intend to do some painting today, first time this year. I am about to get a delivery of vintage plugs so I can get them all documented for future reference. I will make templates, turn maybe 2 per plug to make sure they are exact, and move on to the next one so i can return the plugs to their owner in a timely manner. This is going to take some time so it will eat into my completion ratio but you don't get to touch these classics every day so I need to take advantage of the generosity of this collector. I won't be bringing much to plugfest this year but that was my intention as I want to mingle more this year and finish want I have promised others and myself at a more leisurely pace. This is something I have learned over the last few years, keep it fun with less emphasis on quantity. What gets done is what gets done, no problem mon. don't worry be happy.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:47 AM   #549
Diggin Jiggin

I'm at the same stage as prof m, but on a much smaller scale. I'm not sure what will be done by plugfest. I'm trying to get all the wood working done before I start to paint so I'm not painting in a cloud of sawdust. And everytime I'm done I keep thinking of a few more I should turn.

I'm up in the air regarding what to do for the topcoat. I used up almost all my sys 3 clearcoat last year and I'm not sure whether to stick with that or try something else.
Diggin Jiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:08 AM   #550
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Sawdust would help my paint jobs.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:13 AM   #551
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Beach View Post

Hey Mike ... maybe your going to smooth at the sanding stage . You have to leave some "tooth" .. My first plugs I did my last stage of sanding with glass . (baby food jar,seals pores like making baseball bats) .. I could peel the plug like a banana.. Not sure if this is it .. But you don't need more than 100 grit so paint can bite .. I had trouble with soft primers too .. Can you see what layer its seperating at ? Then figure out why .. Thats a very frustrating place to be .. I wouldn't paint 50 of something while at the stage .. Maybe do that cross hatch test (never did it myself).. Do your paint layers on a board ,,how ever you do it .. sealer,primer,paint,rattlecan?,waterbase?,protecti ve coat , epoxy or final coat .. Let dry .. Take a exacto knife and cut thru your finish criss,cross 1/4" squares,, Take a piece of duct tape and stick it down over that .. Now rip it off like a bandaid ,.. Where did it seperate ? There's your problem .. If nothing comes up you win .. ofcourse epoxy can can fail later in the water and negate all of the above .. At least then you know its your epoxy and where you stand ..

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 01-31-2010, 11:36 AM   #552
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I am betting his adhesion problem is between the primer and the paint. I use 220 grit paper for final sanding....never a problem.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:39 AM   #553
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
There are over 200 plugs in primer hanging in my sunroom above the pellet stove. This is where they hang till they dry. How many I will actually finish this year I have no clue, a mere fraction probably. Intend to do some painting today, first time this year. I am about to get a delivery of vintage plugs so I can get them all documented for future reference. I will make templates, turn maybe 2 per plug to make sure they are exact, and move on to the next one so i can return the plugs to their owner in a timely manner. This is going to take some time so it will eat into my completion ratio but you don't get to touch these classics every day so I need to take advantage of the generosity of this collector. I won't be bringing much to plugfest this year but that was my intention as I want to mingle more this year and finish want I have promised others and myself at a more leisurely pace. This is something I have learned over the last few years, keep it fun with less emphasis on quantity. What gets done is what gets done, no problem mon. don't worry be happy.
I understand you are "farming out" some of your finish work??

Old 01-31-2010, 12:05 PM   #554
numbskull

220 paper, but also wipe them down with MS and let them dry for an hour to get the sanding dust off.

I know people like to spray Zissner, but I've had much better adhesion between the sealer and createx by using brush on Zspar marine undercoat 105. You need to sand and wipe before priming and before finish coat. I start my finish coat with a "second prime" of createx opaque white.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:26 PM   #555
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
I am betting his adhesion problem is between the primer and the paint. I use 220 grit paper for final sanding....never a problem.
I use 220 myself but ran out of it and haven't made it out to buy more ,, probably won't ... may be overkill .. I've been using 100 final .. and 100 wears out pretty fast so its actually even smoother .

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 01-31-2010, 12:55 PM   #556
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
220 paper, but also wipe them down with MS and let them dry for an hour to get the sanding dust off.

I know people like to spray Zissner, but I've had much better adhesion between the sealer and createx by using brush on Zspar marine undercoat 105. You need to sand and wipe before priming and before finish coat. I start my finish coat with a "second prime" of createx opaque white.
I start off with a base coat of opaque white as well Numbscull!

Old 01-31-2010, 01:12 PM   #557
angler229

Quote:
Finally finished everything I started last winter so I've been turning a little bit of everything. I'm realizing I have no need to make more than 2-3 of any one plug for myself, so I'm keeping my batches pretty small only making an extra or two for trading. Also starting a bunch of one/two off prototype stuff to fish over the season.
angler229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:22 PM   #558
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

oooop s ... I'm using 120 ... no diss Larry ,, your stuff is cleaner than mine .. Funny we all took different paths ... I'm using a coat of flat white or flat black rustoleum rattle can (depending) for a base coat right over CPES ... no primer ..

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 01-31-2010, 03:17 PM   #559
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagger View Post
Hey Mike ... maybe your going to smooth at the sanding stage . You have to leave some "tooth" .. My first plugs I did my last stage of sanding with glass . (baby food jar,seals pores like making baseball bats) .. I could peel the plug like a banana.. Not sure if this is it .. But you don't need more than 100 grit so paint can bite .. I had trouble with soft primers too .. Can you see what layer its seperating at ? Then figure out why .. Thats a very frustrating place to be .. I wouldn't paint 50 of something while at the stage .. Maybe do that cross hatch test (never did it myself).. Do your paint layers on a board ,,how ever you do it .. sealer,primer,paint,rattlecan?,waterbase?,protecti ve coat , epoxy or final coat .. Let dry .. Take a exacto knife and cut thru your finish criss,cross 1/4" squares,, Take a piece of duct tape and stick it down over that .. Now rip it off like a bandaid ,.. Where did it seperate ? There's your problem .. If nothing comes up you win .. ofcourse epoxy can can fail later in the water and negate all of the above .. At least then you know its your epoxy and where you stand ..
You know, the paint peeled right off the bottom of the plug but not the top. I did read in a recent post you shouldn't combine gloss and semi gloss paint. I did the top of the plug in gloss yellow, did the bottom in semi gloss white...stuff on the bottom half of the plug peeled off, including the primer, and the yellow is fine. Maybe combining gloss and semi gloss was the problem?

I only did one plug just in case there were issues...damage control is very important to me...

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Old 01-31-2010, 03:54 PM   #560
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Sawdust would help my paint jobs.
LOL

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:06 PM   #561
Backbeach Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake View Post
I hope to have some in sealer by tonight. I slotted and drilled yesterday. I've put myself way behind with recent events and all.
Weighted, bondoed and sealed, ready for primer in a coupla days. Mission accomplished, then the scary part, paint. Then the terrifying part, clearing, make or break all the work. Still have to spin up a little black danny for BF.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:15 PM   #562
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Get spinning youuuuuu!

Old 01-31-2010, 04:21 PM   #563
Backbeach Jake

After work tomorrow, my sealed plugs will still be drying. If all goes well I'll have yours sealed tomorrow night, too.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:32 PM   #564
WoodyCT

Hey George

You are using MS, an oil, to wipe off dust before spraying with Createx, which is water based? Any adhesion issues?

I would suggest wiping with water or denatured alcohol to keep things chemically compatible.
WoodyCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:09 PM   #565
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyCT View Post
You are using MS, an oil, to wipe off dust before spraying with Createx, which is water based? Any adhesion issues?

I would suggest wiping with water or denatured alcohol to keep things chemically compatible.
I wait an hour or two, it evaporates away very fast. No adhesion issues.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #566
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Quote:
I start off with a base coat of opaque white as well Numbscull!
Let me get this process straight....

1. Dip plugs in whatever sealer you use (helmsman, BLO, epoxy, etc.)

2. Allow ample dry time for sealer... I'm giving it 2 weeks for helmsman spar.

3. Sand down the plug body...

4. Mineral spirit wipe down and let dry for one hour at least.

5. Primer.

6. Paint.

7. Topcoat.

8. Assemble.

9. Give all your stuff away....in this sense its just like making wine...bust your ass for months and weeks, then give it all away....

10. Repeat.

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Old 02-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #567
JFigliuolo

Don't forget step 8A. miss swivel w.through wire, give plug to buddy, who drops fish.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #568
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFigliuolo View Post
Don't forget step 8A. miss swivel w.through wire, give plug to buddy, who drops fish.
You been talking to Sauerkraut? Been there , done that.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #569
numbskull

It shouldn't take 2 weeks for the sealer to dry. Varnish ought to dry in a matter of hours. If you sand it and it comes off as powder you are fine. Valoil is good to go in 24-48 hours.

You should sand/wipe between the primer and the color coat.
If you are using rattlecans, some guys spray a clear coat and scuff that then wipe before applying epoxy.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #570
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Quote:
If you are using rattlecans, some guys spray a clear coat and scuff that then wipe before applying epoxy.
Great, another %$%$%$%$ing step...thanks for the heads up though...that would be step seven, I believe...

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole