Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 11-11-2017, 06:11 PM   #1
Green Light
Work hard. Fish harder.

Send a message via Skype™ to Green Light
Tarpon via Striper Plugs

As the number of gray hairs grow, my memory fades. I recall reading a story about a NE surfcaster who use to travel to Florida to catch tarpon from the surf suing striper plugs.

Tarpon is on my bucket list. Anyone know of any good tarpon books, blogs, or guides?

I am not looking for spots! LOL. Just some info to guide me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance for your much appreciated feedback.

Tight lines!

Green Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:43 PM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Bombers at dusk

I would even try a pikie

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:52 AM   #3
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Ccw small danny slays in Florida

Mullet colored plugs are a good choice

Every time I’ve gone to Florida I’ve hooked into one tarpon each time and never landed em

If you can find some bigger lady fish those are a blast, along with the snook, redfish, sheepshead and everything else down there
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:42 AM   #4
scottw

depending on where you plan to fish......I think you are referring to Pete Utschig goes down during the winter months and gives a great presentation on nighttime "surf" tarpon,redfish, snook and shark fishing if you have the opportunity to see him, he fishes the inlets and beaches Ft Lauderdale and north...I've fished the Keys the last several years on Feb-Mar-April...great thing about the tarpon is it's usually pretty good night time fishing if the day shore fishing is lousy due to wind.......over time I've stopped using lures with trebles and pinch all of my barbs....tarpon jump and shake so violently and it's so difficult to get a hook set in that mouth that your plug will(frequently enough) come flying back at you.....also, landing them on a rocky shore is rough on the fish...particularly if you are solo...they don't give up shaking and jumping and the angle or their mouth make them hard to hold onto so getting a lure full or trebles out of that is a challenge....bucktails, swim shads, my biggest came on the smallest RonZ other weighted soft plastics are great...really depends on what they are feeding on...usually mullet....I've caught them skipping jumping minnows across the shadow line.....albie snax work great for that......further north they look for mullet schools on the beaches and then fish those areas at night...and hook some really big fish

it's pretty easy diy fishing if you are down there....8/9'rod..40lb braid...80lb leader.....those fishing further north use heavier surf gear and they throw darters and other big swimming lures by night...

Last edited by scottw; 11-12-2017 at 07:07 AM..
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:42 AM   #5
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

My last tarpon trip is sadly far behind me and although almost all were hooked drifting crabs under the bridges below Bahia Honda State Park in May, my guide dropped one of my 6" ledge runners right below the boat at slack tide and hooked one around 75 lbs. Scared the crap out of me when this monster was looking at me eye to eye literally almost within reach. Needless to say, that was a short fight with so little line out to play the fish.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:57 AM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Light View Post
As the number of gray hairs grow, my memory fades. I recall reading a story about a NE surfcaster who use to travel to Florida to catch tarpon from the surf suing striper plugs.

Tarpon is on my bucket list. Anyone know of any good tarpon books, blogs, or guides?

I am not looking for spots! LOL. Just some info to guide me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance for your much appreciated feedback.

Tight lines!
Hooked a couple near 7 mile bridge in Marathon with Rebel Windcheaters. The keys from March - May is not hard to find tarpon.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:13 PM   #7
niko

drift crabs through the bridges in the keys in spring. Easy pickings- get them in quick before the sharks get them. Fantastic inshore fishery - you can fish 5 minutes from the dock at some spots. I got one around 75# on a Polaris once but it's mostly a live bait game for big ones
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #8
t.orlando

Black Hogy on a black buckktail is a staple down there
t.orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:21 PM   #9
East Tide
Slow Droppin' Skins

Keys in/after April is always a win/win, though I've still not LANDED one from shore. Win is fishing and hooking up but if you loose it's still a win to be on the Keys with the disease and enjoying it.

Boat fish l/ guided fish don't count for me but I've hooked up a bunch. Google Skinners experiences. He's landed big (75 lb +) fish from shore.
East Tide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:16 AM   #10
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

On of my old buddies who's a snowbird used Roberts bluefish plugs for tarpon.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:26 AM   #11
bassballer

I had one take a white small danny in Panama. After an awesome take and short run broke off. But what a unreal 10 seconds!
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:26 AM   #12
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassballer View Post
I had one take a white small danny in Panama. After an awesome take and short run broke off. But what a unreal 10 seconds!
Whoa. I can’t imagine. I took a small tarpon in Florida on one of my surf hog eels. What a rush.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:20 PM   #13
Rockfish9

creek chub made a number of pikies with mods to the hooks just for tarpon...

I've never caught one on a plug.. as a youngster I visited my Aunt in Fla. every winter on vacation.. I caught a bunch drifting crabs and on live shrimp... a few years ago I hooked a big one in the Bahamas on a fly but it was short lived... a shark ended the fight after several jumps...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:44 AM   #14
Green Light
Work hard. Fish harder.

Send a message via Skype™ to Green Light
Thank you for the insights.

Much appreciated.

You guys rock!

Green Light is offline   Reply With Quote