Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 07-01-2011, 12:48 AM   #1
Ryan560

New yak and a couple questions

I've wanted a kayak for a couple years and it seemed like whenever one popped up that was cheap enough I never had the funds.Wasn't the case wednesday, I got a solid deal on a 3 year old OK Prowler 13 with seat,paddle,and fishfinder. So for the past couple of days I been paddling the local ponds and lakes fishing for bass and trout, but I really want to get out to the salt ponds in soco or maybe the ct beaches.

I'm pretty much a novice at kayaking, just wondering how long you folks waited to take your yaks in the surf or heavy chop? Also I have a 7' penn guide series rod rated 1/2-2 1/2oz. 15-25lbs. line,seems to have some good backbone, would this be an alright starter rod for stripers/blues/fluke/tog paired with a 710z? Thanks see ya on the water
Ryan560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:34 AM   #2
blondterror

Couple suggestions... make sure you have a lanyard on your rod before you tackle the surf.... several guys have lost rods... make sure you always wear your PFD.. get a comfortable one... try a self rescue to see if you can get back on your yak in deep water... my method is to slide myself up from the bow or stern ... place markings on your paddle or hull 20,24,28,32,36,40 inches for measuring fish

sounds like a great starter yak... have fun this weekend

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

Great advice right there

Congrats on the new yak man! you can't go wrong with that one, I have an OK Prowler 15 and friggin love it.

As for surf/chop. If you are feeling pretty comfortable and stable on it in the lakes, go out and give it a shot. I should say though, I amost always avoid a surf launch and try to launch in more protected waters. Your yak can handle chop and swells just fine, but it's all about your level of ability and comfort with the conditions. Go with your gut, if you are uncomfortable out there just head back in, it's not worth it for a fish! that said, you will be surprised how stable you will feel in it out there, but don't get complacent, anything can happen so be alert.

Also, seriously consider getting a handheld VHF radio, it's just a safe thing to have out there in case of problems.
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

All good advice. Also keep a lanyard on your paddle as well. I good friend of mine lost his paddle in pretty good current and would have been screwed if two of us weren't around to retrieve it for him.

Definitely practice self-rescue. I've got the OK 15' Prowler and it is very easy but still good to have some practice.

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I've got a Prowler 13, ver stable yak. I actually fish Side Saddle in it sometimes when the water is calm. PFD is a Must....I took mine out on the ponds for the 1st 3-4 times to get used to it and after that hit the ocean.

Practice self rescues in it. Here is a link to a page for self rescues in the Ocean Kayaks.

How To Re-enter a Kayak - Kayaking Basics - Ocean Kayak

1st time I tried it wasn't pretty and you don't want to find that out when you are on the ocean...after a couple of tries I got the hang of it and got back in pretty quickly.

Be mindful of Wind Conditions before you go out....that can cause you problems, paddling against a strong wind can be a miserable experience.

If you are going out at night get a stern light and a Flag....that way the boaters that are out there have a better chance to see you.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
Nebe

In regards to self rescue, if you have a piece of rope on board and are having trouble getting back on board, you can tie a large loop and the tie it about 3 feet up to your stern grab handle to make a "ladder"

I'd start yakking in salt ponds, then work my way up to non surf areas, then areas with rips... Stay away from inlets, reefs or anywhere you haven't been in daylight until you consider yourself a decent yaker..
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
Ryan560

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to try down in Niantic this coming weekend.
Would I be all set with the rod and reel combo listed? I also have a 8' tica dolphin and a spheros 8000fb or cabo 60. Just figured the 7' would be a better fit for a kayak. Thanks
Ryan560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #8
blondterror

The 7 foot rod is a perfect length for the yak... I use 6 and7 foot rods in mine...

You may want to pic up a Conventional reel with a Penn Slammer boat rod for trolling... daiwa or shimano low to mid priced for trolling tube and worm... many people use lead core line for this....

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote