Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 08-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
vineyardblues

Redsox Players Sux

Pesky’s funeral
By Gayle Fee and Laura Raposa / Inside Track
Thursday, August 23, 2012 - Updated 2 hours ago

E-mail Print (41) Comments Text size Share .fb_like { top: 1px; } .fb_like { top: 2px; }

The late Johnny Pesky gave his life to his beloved Boston Red Sox [team stats], but, sadly, it appears only four current players made time to attend the Fenway icon’s funeral.
Word from Yawkey Way is that the Sox front office hired buses to bring players, office and staff to the funeral from the ballpark to the church. The suits, we hear, were surprised and disappointed when the vast majority of the 40 players on the roster didn’t bother to show up for the services.
“We ordered the buses for the front office to go, knowing that any players could join us or drive separately from their homes,” Sox spokesman Charles Steinberg told the Track. “Between the ownership, front office, current players and staff, and former players, we were well represented by the people who knew Johnny best.”

The only players the Herald observed at the funeral at St. John The Evangelist Church in Swampscott were designated hitter David Ortiz [stats], pitchers Clay Buchholz and Vincente Padilla and catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia.
By contrast, that same night, nearly the entire team turned out for pitcher Josh Beckett [stats]’s annual Beckett Bowl and country music show at Lucky Strike Lanes and the House of Blues.
“The front office was not happy,” said Someone Who Knows.
Pesky, a Fenway fixture for 60 years, was described as the “heart, soul and spirit of the organization” by Sox prez Larry Lucchino.
Lucchino, owner John Henry and his wife, Linda, Sox CEO Sam Kennedy, GM Ben Cherington and many more team execs and staff were on hand to bid Pesky a final farewell. Also in the pews were former players like Nomar Garciaparra, who made the trip from California for the funeral and was visibly upset during the ceremony; Jim Rice, Bill Lee, Jerry Moses and Mike Andrews.
The current squad also missed Pesky’s wake this past Saturday because they were in New York for a game with the Yankees. But legendary dirt dog Trot Nixon was there and he gave an off-the-cuff eulogy for Johnny to the Herald that is bittersweet in light of the funeral snub.
“I look back and it’s not just him being on the field and hitting ground balls, but how he carried himself and how much he cared for all the ballplayers, whether you were at the major league level or in the minor league level,” Nixon said. “Everybody that worked in the organization, from the highest level down to guys working in the clubhouse, he generally cared for everyone and loved the game of baseball. He was a fantastic ambassador. I loved Johnny.”
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
JohnnyD

You mean they'd rather go out and have Chicken and Beer with Beckett than support a team icon?
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Azzholes.....

I knew Ortiz would be there....he loved Johnny.

Friekin Padilla came.......and Pedroia was a no show....sad

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

i am DONE with this team....no respect for an icon. 'eff them all! pedroia is just like the rest...

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Not going to argue with you on this one....pretty eff'ing classless thing to do

Old 08-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
vineyardblues

I am not going to write on the internet how I really feel.

They will all regret this BIG time , starting today ....................................
Old 08-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
No Fisk? No Dewey?? No Freddie Lynn?? No Boggs or Clemens???? Most of all....no F'in Yaz??!!! Really?? The guy still draws friggin breath, knew Pesky for years and years and had him as his manager for 2 seasons and Yaz is a friggin no show????? WOW!!! These guys all suck ass!!!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Don't assume Dewey and Lynn and other former players weren't there, just because the article didn't mention them, and you don't know if they went to the wake.....and players that live out of town dould have sent respects to the family....article doesn't say

The 40 current players are the issue.....they were in town for the funeral but couldn't be bothered...and you know they missed the wake because they were in NY.....again No Class

Old 08-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
The 40 current players are the issue.....they were in town for the funeral but couldn't be bothered...and you know they missed the wake because they were in NY.....again No Class
Did they know Pesky? If not, I have no problem w/it. If they had met him, I agree w/you. I just don't know how much he has been around for the last few years.

I'd also say attending the funeral isn't the line in the sand. If the players called or wrote heart felt notes to the family - that would be more meaningfull than showing up and walking through a line a wake and spending 10 min. there.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
Backbeach Jake

Angry

Pesky was as close as one could be to being a patron Saint of baseball. He spent his life helping players hone their skills until MLB decided that the Sox had one too many coaches. The Sox were blessed to have had him. I can't wait until the present roster of D-bags and low lifes are gone fron this team. They've all added a horrific * to their personal legacies. And they've worked hard for it. I'm done with them.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #11
vineyardblues

Larry Luchino said he didn't make attendance mandatory. ...wtf larry

I Now see the light / problem . John Henry needs to go as well as his cronies and play that game they kick a ball around the field in England

"Well Gezz beaver , can well all just get along and play some baseball"

http://www.tvland.com/video-clips/le...aseball-mishap
Old 08-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #12
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

He shouldn't have to make it mandatory...these are grown men that should know better. Someone who is a beloved member of your organization for over 60 years dies....you go to the wake or funeral.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #13
PaulS

Quote:
He shouldn't have to make it mandatory...these are grown men that should know better. Someone who is a beloved member of your organization for over 60 years dies....you go to the wake or funeral.
Just playing devil's advocate here - whould you go to the former CEO's funeral of your company if you never met him?
Old 08-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #14
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Just playing devil's advocate here - whould you go to the former CEO's funeral of your company if you never met him?
If the CEO was a fixture within the company's culture for 60 years, yes.

This is the equivalent of if Joe Paterno died, but before the world found out he was turning a blind eye to the child diddling that was going on. You would have seen significantly more people with relations to Penn St flying in to pay their respects.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #15
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

johnny was the patriarch of the red sox. everyone knew who he was. the team should have attended as a team (oh yeah this isn't a team). respect, the right thing to do. the arrogance of this collection of #^&#^&#^&#^&heads amazes me.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
Old 08-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #16
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
If I knew him....Yes

and Pesky wasn't a CEO who ruled from an office somewhere...he was a guy that came through the ranks and tried to touch every player who came through those same ranks personally.

If the spouse of somebody you worked with died, but you never met the spouse, would you go to the wake?

Most Wakes and Funerals aren't about the guy in the casket...its about everybody else thats still with us

Old 08-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #17
PaulS

Quote:
If I knew him....Yes Agreed, but the question was if you DIDN'T know him. As I asked earlier, I wasn't sure if Pesky had been around much lately. I don't know if the younger guys knew him personally.

and Pesky wasn't a CEO who ruled from an office somewhere...he was a guy that came through the ranks and tried to touch every player who came through those same ranks personally.

If the spouse of somebody you worked with died, but you never met the spouse, would you go to the wake?Yes, but this is a different issue unless they knew Mrs Pesky.

Most Wakes and Funerals aren't about the guy in the casket...its about everybody else thats still with us
Agree with the last statement. But a hand written note from someone who didn't attend the wake discussing the relationship w/the deceased means more than spending 10 min. at a wake.

I'm going for a quick bike ride. Now that Lance has lost his 7 TDFs (That is Toure De France) you never know what they're going to do w/the titles.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #18
vineyardblues

2 late Sample memo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	redsox1.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	52869  

Last edited by vineyardblues; 08-25-2012 at 07:30 AM..
Old 08-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #19
fishbones

Quote:
Agree with the last statement. But a hand written note from someone who didn't attend the wake discussing the relationship w/the deceased means more than spending 10 min. at a wake.

I'm going for a quick bike ride. Now that Lance has lost his 7 TDFs (That is Toure De France) you never know what they're going to do w/the titles.
Paul, there were plenty of people on that team that did know him personally. He still visited the ball park and was around during spring training last year (not sure about this season). Pedroia, Ellsbury, Lester, Beckett to name a few should have made it a point to be there. And I've been to several wakes and funerals for people I had never met. As TDF said, you go for the people who are still alive.

I hate to say it, but I bet nothing like this would happen with the Yankees. The leaders on that team would make sure that the players attended.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #20
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
I hate to say it, but I bet nothing like this would happen with the Yankees. The leaders on that team would make sure that the players attended.
Don't be so sure about that....

New York Yankees captain Derek Jeter says he was unaware of scheduling of Bob Sheppard's funeral - New York Daily News

Old 08-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #21
mosholu
Mosholu

Quote:
Don't forget it was the all star break players were generally out of town and Steinbrenner died two days after Sheppard. I would bet a couple plugs that when Yogi passes on the squad will be at the services.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
mosholu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #22
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosholu View Post
Don't forget it was the all star break players were generally out of town and Steinbrenner died two days after Sheppard. I would bet a couple plugs that when Yogi passes on the squad will be at the services.
Nice Try...but they played the Tampa Bay Rays in New York the Day of the Funeral...so they were in town.

2010 New York Yankees Schedule by Baseball Almanac

I'm not making excuses for the Sox...so Don't make excuses for the Yankees

Old 08-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #23
fishbones

Quote:
I stand corrected. And I'm a little glad that the Yankees are the bums that I always thought they were.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #24
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

a couple of sucbags may now be on their way out of town

www.afterhoursplugs.com

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

Old 08-25-2012, 07:48 AM   #25
vineyardblues

Whats next sell the team John Henry ????????????

free up 270 million off the papers , sell the team for God only $$$$$ knows..

LMFAO

The Sox were on the verge Friday night of unloading some of their mistakes — Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett, and Nick Punto — to the Dodgers for prospects, including righthanders Allen Webster and Rubby De La Rosa, outfielder/first baseman Jerry Sands, first baseman James Loney, and infielder Ivan De Jesus.

If the deal goes through, the Sox will have unloaded approximately $270 million in salaries, though part of the hang-up was concerning how much of the remainder of the contracts of Crawford, Beckett, and Gonzalez the Sox would assume.

The Dodgers would get their power-hitting first baseman in Gonzalez (who has a limited no-trade, but not to the Dodgers), a good defensive player but one who was part of the chemistry problem in the Boston clubhouse, a starting pitcher in Beckett who would solidify the middle of their rotation, Crawford for next season, and Punto as a utilityman.

The Sox needed to get final approval from Beckett, who has 10-5 rights. That approval had not yet come during Friday night’s game against the Royals.

The Sox also placed Jon Lester and Jacoby Ellsbury on trade waivers, and there could be action on them in the next 24 hours as well. In other words, the Sox are hoping to start again with a blank slate.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:51 AM   #26
striperman36
Old Guy

They aren't happy send them to japan
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:07 AM   #27
vineyardblues

Who did we get from the Dodgers 4guys with the last name lackey , I think we already have one on the bench with the same name ....the does not even play
Old 08-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #28
Backbeach Jake

The Sox needed to get final approval from Beckett, who has 10-5 rights. That approval had not yet come during Friday night’s game against the Royals.-VB

If they don't get his approval, then send him home. They still own all his baseball efforts. If he plays even a game of wiffleball, he has breached his contract. Screw that slob.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #29
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Deal is done now

New Sox?

Better starting over with low salary than trying to fix at high salary...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #30
striperman36
Old Guy

Took a stiff back to make that trade and put Lester, Ellisbury on waivers.
Don't know who really in the front office slapped the table, kudos for that, along with only holding 10 million of the 272 million these babies have outstanding for the year
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote