Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2024, 10:33 AM   #1
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 9,160
Tilt and Trim

OK, so here’s my issue 2014 Yamaha 200hp 4 stroke power tilting trim goes up and goes down but it sounds weak or laborious Like it’s not getting enough juice? . I checked the fluid. The batteries are new and charged could be the solenoid. Any ideas?
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 11:25 AM   #2
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man
iTrader: (0)
 
piemma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 10,596
Blog Entries: 2
My 115 Yami did te same thing and it was the solenoid.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 12:35 PM   #3
nightfighter
Seldom Seen
iTrader: (0)
 
nightfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,436
Wayne, I have replaced the tilt motor at least twice on my 1993 200hp Yamaha. Both times with non-Yamaha parts as the Yamaha price was EXHORBITANT!!! Like 6x the price of the ones I replaced it with...

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 01:22 PM   #4
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK
iTrader: (0)
 
RIROCKHOUND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Westlery, RI
Posts: 10,358
Had the same issue with mine (also a yami) a couple of weeks ago. Good juice to the solenoid. Try lightly hitting the tilt motor with a hammer. I think a bushing gets stuck or something. Worked for mine after we chased everything else. (We'll see how long it lasts, I suspect replacing the motor isn't far out, even though it is fairly new)

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 01:45 PM   #5
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 9,160
Thanks everyone!

just going to swap out the solenoid 1st. playing with it in the yard both switch’s helm and motor were intermittent.

Amazon has them for under 50 bucks …. then go from there if I need to

Thanks I’ll keep everyone posted with my progress
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2024, 04:44 PM   #6
Guppy
User
iTrader: (0)
 
Guppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 5,421
Long shot…
Make sure your primary ground wires are clean and tight to the block and solenoid…
New battery connections good, right ?

see ya
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2024, 07:25 PM   #7
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK
iTrader: (0)
 
RIROCKHOUND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Westlery, RI
Posts: 10,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Thanks everyone!

just going to swap out the solenoid 1st. playing with it in the yard both switch’s helm and motor were intermittent.

Amazon has them for under 50 bucks …. then go from there if I need to

Thanks I’ll keep everyone posted with my progress
Good luck.
Mine acted up again tonight. Probably hauling it after the holiday madness to chase it in the driveway.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 03:06 PM   #8
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 9,160
Update.

Replaced the solenoid that fixed the intermittent switch problem

However still sounding labored .. took Bryan’s advice hit the pump motor with a hammer a few times . Sounds like normal. ( thanks). Seems that will be the next thing to swap out in the future
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 06:53 PM   #9
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK
iTrader: (0)
 
RIROCKHOUND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Westlery, RI
Posts: 10,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Update.

Replaced the solenoid that fixed the intermittent switch problem

However still sounding labored .. took Bryan’s advice hit the pump motor with a hammer a few times . Sounds like normal. ( thanks). Seems that will be the next thing to swap out in the future
It helped for a bit on mine at least. Hauling tomorrow to take a look in the driveway.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 05:58 AM   #10
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK
iTrader: (0)
 
RIROCKHOUND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Westlery, RI
Posts: 10,358
Wayne, for what it’s worth, mine had water intrusion in the motor.

The bearing/spring had rusted and that’s what I must have loosened with the hammer but now it’s seized. So if it happens again that might be the cause.

Replacing the trim motor and should be in business later this week.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 06:22 AM   #11
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 9,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Wayne, for what it’s worth, mine had water intrusion in the motor.

The bearing/spring had rusted and that’s what I must have loosened with the hammer but now it’s seized. So if it happens again that might be the cause.

Replacing the trim motor and should be in business later this week.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

I am just waiting on the part. I watched a few videos looks like a simple repair …. I hope so
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 09:21 PM   #12
redlite
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kingston, Ma
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
I am just waiting on the part. I watched a few videos looks like a simple repair …. I hope so
Spray the effin love out of the bolts.
Buddy's boat I work had similar issue. Boat yard snapped off 2 bolts tryin to take it off a 6 yr old etec 250. Had to pull whole engine off bracket to deal with. It's been a month of no fishing
Good luck.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com